Nuts and Bolts of Submission

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sbradford9177

Nuts and Bolts of Submission

Post by sbradford9177 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:37 pm

Hi everyone.
I am an old dog trying to learn and take advantage of new tricks. Retired pianist watching the technical world of musicianship moved further over the horizon on a daiy basis. But I'm determined to try and catch up as best I can.
I'm a very newbie TAXI subscriber and have just finished my first submission. I clicked on the listing number, uploaded the file and I think I filled out the meta data information requested. When I go to my profile page I can see my musical composition in a review form of sorts. I click on it and I can hear my song. On the right hand I see "Pending Submissions" and I click that link. My submission is no where to be found, and no other information - edited, or anything. I try to search for my submission but no luck. My end date is tomorrow night and I fear that I have not done something correctly and might miss the deadline on this submission.
Any help or instructions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Steve

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Nuts and Bolts of Submission

Post by Ted » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:57 pm

Also, an extra thing to be aware of: If you upload a song to your profile and submit it-- and then still have time to edit it and replace it with a different mix, for example-- make sure you replace the file using the Edit function in Pending Submissions. If you merely replace the edited track in your profile, the screener won't see the edited replacement file. Simple, but it can cause issues if you're not aware of it.

Also, I think it would be cool if somehow there were a way to see the file name of the track submitted (as it appears in your computer's finder) after you've submitted the track. The reason being, sometimes if I have a long enough period after the deadline to resubmit edited mixes-- I might have submitted 10 different mixes, with subtle differences before it gets screened. I try to keep organized with the track being submitted as "Track X, final mix" then I might submit and decide to change something and it becomes "Track X Final Final mix" etc. I tried using numerical values to help me keep the mixes sorted, but I haven't found a great solution yet.

I'd just hate to get a forward and hear back from a publisher and find myself unsure of which actual mix was the final submission that the screener forwarded. I know that it's more of an organizational responsibility of the member than with Taxi-- but I just wonder with the website formatting in the future, there could be a way to display the file name of the submitted track in the member's account somewhere.
Last edited by Ted on Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:01 pm

Steve,
What Tom said. On the RH side of your page, above "pending submissions" there's "upload music" (sounds like you've done that already) and above that, "Make a Submission". From there you will enter some submission-related info and be prompted to pay the submission fee. Once that's completed, the "Pending submissions" link should show your work.

myk247365
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by myk247365 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:45 pm

I keep things organized by project, so a folder for each project which holds all the elements of a piece, including the image file I'll use when I upload to Taxi. I have a separate folder for Taxi submissions. When I find a listing, I create a new folder with the listing ID # as the name of the folder. Then I copy the listing into a .rtf file. This captures the links to the references. Then I place an alias to the audio and image files I want to submit in the listing folder. Then I upload the audio file and complete the submission form. When I get the receipt in email, I save that to the listing folder which tells me that I've submitted to that listing. If I miss a deadline, I can delete the folder. When I get feedback I save that to the listing folder too. Now I have a record of all my submissions and feedback to review.

hope this helps

Michael

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:20 am

myk247365 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:45 pm
I keep things organized by project, so a folder for each project which holds all the elements of a piece, including the image file I'll use when I upload to Taxi. I have a separate folder for Taxi submissions. When I find a listing, I create a new folder with the listing ID # as the name of the folder. Then I copy the listing into a .rtf file. This captures the links to the references. Then I place an alias to the audio and image files I want to submit in the listing folder. Then I upload the audio file and complete the submission form. When I get the receipt in email, I save that to the listing folder which tells me that I've submitted to that listing. If I miss a deadline, I can delete the folder. When I get feedback I save that to the listing folder too. Now I have a record of all my submissions and feedback to review.

hope this helps

Michael
+1
I've not been using an alias, but actually copying the audio to a bunch of folders. The alias method will keep things cleaner. Thanks for that!

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Post by johnnyrowing » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:27 am

Ted wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:57 pm
Also, an extra thing to be aware of: If you upload a song to your profile and submit it-- and then still have time to edit it and replace it with a different mix, for example-- make sure you replace the file using the Edit function in Pending Submissions. If you merely replace the edited track in your profile, the screener won't see the edited replacement file. Simple, but it can cause issues if you're not aware of it.

Also, I think it would be cool if somehow there were a way to see the file name of the track submitted (as it appears in your computer's finder) after you've submitted the track. The reason being, sometimes if I have a long enough period after the deadline to resubmit edited mixes-- I might have submitted 10 different mixes, with subtle differences before it gets screened. I try to keep organized with the track being submitted as "Track X, final mix" then I might submit and decide to change something and it becomes "Track X Final Final mix" etc. I tried using numerical values to help me keep the mixes sorted, but I haven't found a great solution yet.

I'd just hate to get a forward and hear back from a publisher and find myself unsure of which actual mix was the final submission that the screener forwarded. I know that it's more of an organizational responsibility of the member than with Taxi-- but I just wonder with the website formatting in the future, there could be a way to display the file name of the submitted track in the member's account somewhere.
Hi Ted,
I did NOT know that this process had changed with the upgrade (I assume it is new with the upgrade that is). Thanks for this information. It might be a lifesaver for me. I have been making a habit of submitting rough drafts early (to put a little pressure on myself to actually FINISH tracks). So, those versions have been ROUGH . . . but then I would upload revised/improved version via my Profile page. I thought the submission and the track on my profile page were linked. :( Wrong!

For those that might benefit from the information . . . I just received the below information via email confirming that what you said is true and outlining the process for editing "pending - unscreened - submissions".

From Taxi Staff:
"To Edit Audio File for Pending Submission:

Under Member Tools on your Artist Page, click "View Pending Submissions" to see all your current Pending Submissions. If you see the "edit" button right of your pending Submission, that means our A&R team hasn't yet reviewed your submission, thus allowing you time to replace your audio file.

If there is no "edit" button, that means A&R has already reviewed your submission and replacing the audio mix for that opportunity isn't possible anymore.

To replace/edit your audio file, follow these steps:

Click the "edit" button and you will be directed to the "Edit Submission" Page. (you can make any other edits in fields that allow you to)

Scroll to the bottom of the "Edit Submission" page and click the silver "Choose File" button under "Replacement Audio File".

Select your desired audio file from your computer.

Make sure to click the blue "Update Submission" button at the very bottom of the page to complete your changes.

After all four steps have been completed, the audio file will update in your Listing Submission. Keep in mind, doing this action only replaces the audio file for that specific Submission. "

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Post by johnnyrowing » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:30 pm

CTWF wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:03 pm
johnnyrowing wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:27 am
So, those versions have been ROUGH . . . but then I would upload revised/improved version via my Profile page. I thought the submission and the track on my profile page were linked. :( Wrong!
Exactly. I did the same thing for a while until I wisened up. We had a thread on it a few months ago.

Tom
Oops! I missed that thread. Dang it!

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:34 pm

An improvement I would like to see in the future is the ability to select a replacement file from those on the member page, which is how I normally select the file for the initial submission.
I did update a recent submission (just the one so far) and had a moment of anxiety wondering if the uploaded/replaced file was actually with the submission. No way to verify that, as far as I can tell.

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:54 am

Johnny, really glad the info is a help. I'm sure a lot of people learned this one the hard way. :)

Also, a few more things to watch... when I am uploading a replacement audio file, it seems like I have to do it twice to make it stick. I don't know why. Sometimes I've uploaded the correct replacement file, but i'd find that it would still be the old file. So I always do it twice to be sure.

Hell, just tonight I had another white-knuckle experience with a submission almost missing a deadline. My brother and I worked all week on an Americana remake of a song-- we were pretty happy with it. After that previous experience I had of missing a deadline because his rural internet service is slow, we still had two hours to finish the mix and submit... and his f*cking internet service went out.

We were furious. I had to get into my car and drive an hour and a half to get back to the city late at night and get my track uploaded and submitted (I'd planned on crashing at my brother's place-- it was late and I'd had a couple drinks). Earlier today I uploaded an early mix to my Taxi page in case I ran into any trouble uploading. When I got back to the city and uploaded the revised final mix, I would have thought it was the correct version but the run time of the track told me it was still the rough mix. I listened and sure enough it was the rough mix. So I uploaded again, and voila, this time it was the right mix. Finally.

Also, as far as submitting early-- I'd advise against doing that if you are planning on doing a revision. Sometimes if you submit to the listing well before the deadline, the track can be screened before the deadline passes and you can't edit it.

Cheers,

Ted
Last edited by Ted on Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:15 am

Ted wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:54 am
the run time of the track told me it was still the rough mix. I listened and sure enough it was the rough mix.
How do you listen to an audio file that has been attached to a submission? I understand that I can be confident (that I have the right file) when I link the submission's audio to the track on my member page, but any uploads directly to the submission form - like what happens when I upload a 'later version' - I don't see as accessible. What am I missing?