OK...this is getting a little ridiculous

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

OK...this is getting a little ridiculous

Post by BradleyHagen » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:36 pm

NITPICKY!! Come on man...... TEN seconds? It said "2 to 4 minutes GIVE OR TAKE!!!"
The screener also mentioned that it is not "modern enough" but WTF does that mean anyway? It asked for "throwback motifs from the '60s and '70s, but with a contemporary sound" Well, that is what I sent them, and that is what they got!
Am I supposed to put stomps and claps on there to make it "modern" or something else that is trendy and stupid?? How about a screaming metal guitar solo? or a trap beat? lolol

Feedback: https://www.taxi.com/members/DVGQpc37Tk ... -QLiUUAtEw
Track: https://www.taxi.com/members/DVGQpc37Tk ... -my-gloves
Listing:
Lots of MODERN FUNK/SOUL INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a Successful Publisher with an awesome track record of really BIG placements!

This Publisher is on the lookout for Mid-Tempo Instrumentals that are in the general stylistic ballpark of the following references:

"1612" by VULFPECK

"Adrienne and Adrianne" by the Fearless Flyers

"Smooth Move" by Cory Wong ft. Tom Misch

IMPORTANT: They're NOT looking for clones or soundalikes! Similar tempo, style, and overall vibe? Yes. Clones? No!

Although some of the references have vocals, please submit Instrumentals only.

Please submit Modern Funk/Soul Instrumentals with throwback motifs from the '60s and '70s, but with a contemporary sound! Your submissions should have soulful grooves, catchy melodies, funky bass lines, tight musicianship, danceable rhythms, emotionally upbeat energy, modern and high-quality production, and dynamic arrangements with plenty of forward movement and interest building throughout. Funk instrumentation that's in the general stylistic ballpark of the references will work best (think organ, funky guitar, drums, bass, etc.).

QUOTING THE COMPANY: "We are looking for well-crafted Instrumentals with high-production quality."

All submissions should be about 2 to 4 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best for this request. Please do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use the references only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE, 50/50 deal with a 1-year reversion. Any sync licensing fees are split 50/50. You’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share, and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share. Since this company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is NOT already signed to any other Libraries or Catalogs. You must own or control your Masters and Copyright. Please submit as many Instrumentals as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Wednesday, March 27th, 2024. TAXI Dispatch # D240327VL
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: OK...this is getting a little ridiculous

Post by Casey H » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:21 pm

While I understand that 10 seconds is picky when the listing says 2 to 4 minutes give or take, it's generally best to stay within the suggested range. A number of libraries have a 2 minute minimum on tracks. 2 to 4 gave you plenty of range to work with. But I understand the frustration as there is no definition of "give or take".

I do hear differences between your submission and the references. You have a great track record but you won't get a forward on every submission. Deep breath, take a few days and re-listen to you track and the references. Write, Submit, Forget, Repeat. Just keep on doing what you're doing. :D 8-)

Casey

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:57 pm

Casey H wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:21 pm
While I understand that 10 seconds is picky when the listing says 2 to 4 minutes give or take, it's generally best to stay within the suggested range. A number of libraries have a 2 minute minimum on tracks. 2 to 4 gave you plenty of range to work with. But I understand the frustration as there is no definition of "give or take".

I do hear differences between your submission and the references. You have a great track record but you won't get a forward on every submission. Deep breath, take a few days and re-listen to you track and the references. Write, Submit, Forget, Repeat. Just keep on doing what you're doing. :D 8-)

Casey
Thanks as always Casey -
I WILL NOT MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN!!!

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:47 pm

Yeah, if they're giving a range like that - in this case 2-4 min - then you'd better at least hit the minimum duration. As Casey said, there are a lot of libraries that specify tracks be at least 2 minutes long, and will reject submissions just by looking at the duration without even listening. Some of them even have an automated submission portal which will outright reject the submission from going through when the bots realize you've fallen short of 2:00.

Seems nitpicky, sure, but that's the way this industry works. Careers are built or torn-down by the fine print!

~~Matt

boinkeee2000
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by boinkeee2000 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:47 pm

thats a bummer dude!....10sec aint much...couldve looped 2 bars in a section. ive had tracks with 5sec reverb tails long enough to make the cut

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:31 am

Also, the 10 seconds short wasn't the ONLY reason for the return. The screener mentioned it lacked the contemporary ear candy, etc. they were looking for. If the 10 seconds was the ONLY reason for the return, I could see contacting Taxi about it for clarification. My impression is even if your track was 2:00, it would have been returned. But the time thing is a good learning experience.

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:06 am

VanderBoegh wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:47 pm
Yeah, if they're giving a range like that - in this case 2-4 min - then you'd better at least hit the minimum duration. As Casey said, there are a lot of libraries that specify tracks be at least 2 minutes long, and will reject submissions just by looking at the duration without even listening. Some of them even have an automated submission portal which will outright reject the submission from going through when the bots realize you've fallen short of 2:00.

Seems nitpicky, sure, but that's the way this industry works. Careers are built or torn-down by the fine print!

~~Matt
That is great information to have Matt, Thanks!

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:14 am

Casey H wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:31 am
Also, the 10 seconds short wasn't the ONLY reason for the return. The screener mentioned it lacked the contemporary ear candy, etc. they were looking for. If the 10 seconds was the ONLY reason for the return, I could see contacting Taxi about it for clarification. My impression is even if your track was 2:00, it would have been returned. But the time thing is a good learning experience.
Well, please shed some light on the "modern" comment in the feedback if you could Casey, because there is nothing "modern" about any of those reference tracks IMHO.... To me, It is just a bunch of dudes trying to imitate 70's style funk (like me!) lol! I made a joke about putting in "trap drums" or "stomps and claps" to make it more "modern," but I really have no idea what they mean by "modern" in this instance. This should come as no surprise, as I continue to have difficulty reading between the lines and gaining a working understanding of these briefs !

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:03 am

BradleyHagen wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:14 am
Casey H wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:31 am
Well, please shed some light on the "modern" comment in the feedback if you could Casey, because there is nothing "modern" about any of those reference tracks IMHO.... To me, It is just a bunch of dudes trying to imitate 70's style funk (like me!) lol! I made a joke about putting in "trap drums" or "stomps and claps" to make it more "modern," but I really have no idea what they mean by "modern" in this instance. This should come as no surprise, as I continue to have difficulty reading between the lines and gaining a working understanding of these briefs !
I haven't had much time to listen in detail but let me put it back on you. What do you hear different when you listen to the reference tracks vs. yours? Do you A/B things in your DAW? I'll try to come back to this later. Hopefully, others will chime in.

macomposer
Active
Active

Post by macomposer » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:52 am

So I feel you on this one Brad. Gloves sounds like it's about 95% there to me - great Riff A section and the B section keeps the energy up.... The 2 minute issue is nerve racking, but easy to fix.

In terms of the "modern" and "ear candy," this is really tricky here. The Vulpeck didn't have any ear candy to my ears, and a hallmark of the style is often minimalist (I didn't take the time to re-listen to the other two references - deadlines!) And it can get crazy-making if I think on it too much... Funk stuff like this was over the top in the 70s... the retro new stuff is often very minimalist as that fits with the "modern" aesthetic. But then you hear some new stuff that's also over the top like the original 70s stuff - I've heard some publishers refer to it as "Epic Funk..." so.. :shock:

That being said, what I did hear in Gloves is that each time you returned to that killer A section, you could give it just a touch more - I was hearing bongos in my head subtle in the back, and a chicken lickin' wah guitar too. And there are probably other ideas too that you could come up with.

Just some thoughts... great work man! Keep your head up...
Mark Anthony Chubb
https://www.taxi.com/my/artist
markanthonychubb.com