Old school beats?

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Old school beats?

Post by slimcharm » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:25 pm

I was reading an article in Vanity Fair where they discuss the origins of rap.. in one article they say.."everytime a Snoop Dogg ...samples some Sugar Hill shard in genuflection to old school credibility"...in another they say.."because rappers can flow over old school beats and people accept it"What exactly are "old school beats"?

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Old school beats?

Post by nomiyah » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:02 pm

Sugar Hill was in the late 70's. There were certain types of beats and sounds that were popular in rap when it first started. Over 25 years, the style has changed. Old school in hiphop is using the style they were using back then.Some artists take samples from the old school and then add something modern to it to end up with a brand new sound. I've heard critics of hiphop suggest that producers nowadays use samples because they are lazy or uncreative but I don't agree. I think it's a tribute, acknowledging inspiration. Happy New Year.Nomi

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slimcharm » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:11 pm

I assumed that the beats and sounds were from some time ago..but are they like recognizable as coming from that time...ie someone in the know would listen to a song and recognize the sound as being FROM ANOTHER SONG or recognize that it has AN OLD SOUND?Hope you understand what I am asking. Also..what would say Snoop sample an entire portion of an older song? Can you give an example?

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:35 pm

Sure the old school style is definitely recognizable if you are familiar with the genre.An example is Beyonce's hit "Crazy In Love". JayZ sampled an old school horn line (I can't remember the name of the original song) and put it on the chorus with a modern style beat.You can hear it on Amazon.com if you search for Beyonce, click on the Dangerously In Love CD and scroll down to the listen to sample section and click on the song.Nomi

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slimcharm » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:01 am

I love Crazy in Love and that second quote was from Beyonce. I would like to hear the original song it was sampled from..any ideas on that?

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:41 pm

I assume the info is on the CD jacket. Maybe you could google it. I do remember the old song but can't remember who the artist is.Nomi