OLD SCHOOL PUNK INSTRUMENTALS

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

windowman
Impressive
Impressive

OLD SCHOOL PUNK INSTRUMENTALS

Post by windowman » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:12 pm

HI EVERYBODY!!!I'd like to get some feedback on the following submissions that were just returned. I was a little confused about the listing. The bands they have listed as references are really all over the map, stylistically, from garage punk to pop punk to just plain old thrashy Rock 'N' Roll. It's a NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI listing & here it is--- OLD SCHOOL PUNK INSTRUMENTALS (no vocals) are sought by the Pres. of an LA-based Publishing Co. for film/TV placement. Think along the lines of the Adverts, the Germs, the Dictators, the Deadboys, and the Avengers, the Clash, the Ramones, etc. Aggressive, and raucous playing is desired. The writer(s) must own 100% of the song's publishing/master rights. He splits the license fee with you 40/60 [that 60% is for you] and doesn't take any publishing. This company's owner will screen your submissions. Broadcast quality needed [excellent home recordings are OK]. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS ONLY -- NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI. For ground submissions, please enclose a S.A.S.E. if you would like a response. Submissions must be received no later than Dec. 24, 2007.TAXI # Y071224PKI thought, for once, I nailed this genre. I recorded these songs specifically for this listing. (This is the music that got me started on my insanely lucrative career in show business. This and the Pat Boone metal era.)Thanks in advance,Wadehttp://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_id=8539 ... tream=true

allends
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: OLD SCHOOL PUNK INSTRUMENTALS

Post by allends » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:55 pm

Quote:...I was a little confused about the listing. The bands they have listed as references are really all over the map, stylistically, from garage punk to pop punk to just plain old thrashy Rock 'N' Roll. It's a NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI listing & here it is---...Hi Wade,I can see why you were confused because your beats and song forms are compatible with the bands cited. I enjoyed listening to your tracks. Perhaps your competition was able to pull off more of a live, beefy sound. Although you had the beef in example 2 "MONEY GRAB", none of your tracks sounded live. Just now, I listened to the other bands cited in the listing and I was surprised how sloppy and dirty the sound was. Many of those songs sounded like they were recorded in one-pass in a room that was saturated and muddied by the sound of the band. On the other hand, your tracks sounded cleaner and tighter: more modern.I think you did great, but maybe the listing party wanted that live band sound and got it from other submissions. Keep on plugging!!!My 2 cents,Allen

paults
Impressive
Impressive

Post by paults » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:02 am

Whenever a listing is screened by the end user, the only YES results are probably for the peices they want to sign- there's no intermediate "forwarded" step. That makes it a Subjective Bar listing, and difficult to try and guess why you dîdn't get a yes. That being said, they probably wanted lo-fidelity sloppy tracks.

airportface

Post by airportface » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:51 am

I submitted for the 'vocal' version of the same listing. Song is 'Gimme My Due'http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.p ... rport_face NEW LISTING -- OLD SCHOOL PUNK SONGS (with vocals) with SOCIAL/POLITICAL LYRICAL THEMES are sought by the Pres. of an LA-based Publishing Co. for film/TV placement. Think along the lines of the Sex Pistols, X-Ray Spex, the Germs, the Clash, the Damned, the Real Kids, etc. Songs with a real "in your face" attitude are needed. The writer(s) must own 100% of the song's publishing/master rights. He splits the license fee with you 40/60 [that 60% is for you] and doesn't take any publishing. This company's owner will screen your submissions. Broadcast quality needed [excellent home recordings are OK]. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD, include lyrics. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS ONLY -- NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI. For ground submissions, please enclose a S.A.S.E. if you would like a response. Submissions must be received no later than Dec. 27, 2007.TAXI # Y071227PUBet I got rejected for the use of an f-bomb in a punk song. If so they should be asking for Punk-Lite (sub-genre - irony) 'We want 'in your face', but in a nice way...!)Because if lo-fi and sloppy were required, I think I nailed that !!!Might as well get a thread going on the existence of God as try and figure out why one is forwarded or rejected at Taxi. Franz Kafka

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:01 am

Quote:Bet I got rejected for the use of an f-bomb in a punk song. If so they should be asking for Punk-Lite (sub-genre - irony) 'We want 'in your face', but in a nice way...!)Franz Kafkawell, the company owner screened it directly.in films/tv you often can't use songs with explicit lyrics. one library I'm working with always want me to do a mix without any explicit words (if there are any).just a thought about a possible reason why your track didn't make it through.cheers,martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

airportface

Post by airportface » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:21 am

Of course this is all speculation and we will never know, and that is the special and excruciating fun that is Taxi. (If you have ever read Kafka - Taxi is The Castle - just like K will never know exactly what goes on in the castle (Taxi), still villagers (forum cheerleaders) keep defending the castle)If they don't want f-bombs they sould say. ( I have seen this before in listings)I usually try not to waste my limited time on this earth worrying too much about exactly why I am always rejected by Taxi. ( I was forwarded a few times early on in my Taxi experience, but since then the genre listings I am interested in have all but dried up, so as my end date of Feb 15 looms, I do not see any reason for me to continue)So good luck to you all and I hope Taxi works out for you.K

ddusty
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ddusty » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:39 am

Never read Kafka, but many of our "villagers" have walked the halls of the "castle". TAXI is very open with the way they do business. A simple search of the forums will turn up Dave Walton and Horace Jesse's trip to TAXI. We know exactly what goes on in the castle.Remember what Paults said earlier in this post. When the songs are screened by the end user, it's the equivalent of EVERYONE getting a forward, getting a YES from him is like getting the deal. Just because the song fit the listing (the Forward) doesn't mean it will fit the scene in the movie that they are looking for (the deal)As far as not wasting too much time on why you were rejected, I have to agree and disagree with that.If you are writing music for yourself, as strictly an artistic endeavor, then TAXI is probably not right for you, and you shouldn't worry about why the songs were rejected.If you are writing music to sell to others and use as an income stream, then you will need to worry about why the songs are rejected. These forums are invaluable at helping you understand why a Y/N listing was returned.Both of these methods of writing are equally valid, so the question is, what do you want to do with your music?Rob

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:11 am

I agree with rob - taxi is very transparent, but not all members are willing to watch & learn.I may add that there are threads from dave walton & another user (sorry I forgot his name) who where invited to spend a couple of days in the taxi offices and saw the whole screener process (and more) in detail. both of them wrote great articles about this experience here on the boards.if you are willing to learn, those articles would be a great read for you.taxi offers a tool and LOTS of help for those who want to make money with their music. but it's the members responsibility to listen, read, learn and take action. so it's the responsibility of each individual member - nobody else will or can take action for you.cheers,martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:30 am

Just a note to say you can find the links to the "Taxi Land" by Dave & Horace by going to General Hangout & reading my first post in "Newbie's - A Few Thoughts"... if you scroll down you will see where I've put the links.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

airportface

Post by airportface » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:04 am

Taxi is as transparent as it can be- agreed - and they are to be commended for the lengths they go to ensuring such transparency.I just quibble with the value of Taxi rejection or criticism as means by which you can improve and learn the secrets to the Castle.In the case of a YES/NO BASIS ONLY listing you will never know why your's was not forwarded. As such YES or NO offers no value in guiding you to becoming a better Taxi submitter. While one is submitting to Dispatch listings that is all one receives - YES/NO - so not much value there either.And increasingly the regular Taxi listings are just YES/NO basis as well. So not much useful information coming my way here either.And the reviews I did get back when offered from Taxi were all extremely positive (7, 8 and 9's) - just not not quite right for THIS listing - so tell me what lesson I can draw from all this ??Overwhelmingly the villagers say that if you listen, they mean really open your heart and listen to the feedback the Castle provides, you will learn the secrets to entering the Castle.Guess I should read The Secret and put Kafka down.BTW - I am nearing the end of a 2 year Taxi membership. I am not a Newbie - I just have never been active on the forums. Never wanted to belong to a village that would have me as a member. Been lurking for 2 years, so I have read all this ad nauseum before.K