We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

RickBourassa
Impressive
Impressive

One More 70s Instrumental

Post by RickBourassa » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:04 pm

Hi friends,

I also have a 70s instrumental to add to the mix. Please give me some feedback if you have time to listen. I am still working on my first forward. Any help would be much appreciated.

https://www.taxi.com/members/4HQXW96nRi ... set-cruise

Susanstunes
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: One More 70s Instrumental

Post by Susanstunes » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:49 pm

Hi Rick,
I think it needs more finesse in the guitar playing, and the mix of the guitar should be less out front.
Also the listing says any drums should be more off to the side or something like that, if you use drums.

The style kind of sounds 70s but not quite, maybe a couple of changes to the chord structure- 7th chords to the rescue!

Consider tweaks and repost!
Susan

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:13 pm

Hi Rick,
I think once it gets going, it's fine! I'm itching to hear something besides the guitar (piano, maybe?) for an intro. Or make it shorter, as per the last Taxi TV episode advice - 2 or 3 beats, tops. The drum break could be tightened up, or put something else (piano again?) there. What's the time constraint on the listing? Without actually changing the arrangement, snipping a few seconds in those exposed places might be an improvement, JM2C.
Alan

RickBourassa
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RickBourassa » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:21 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:13 pm
Hi Rick,
I think once it gets going, it's fine! I'm itching to hear something besides the guitar (piano, maybe?) for an intro. Or make it shorter, as per the last Taxi TV episode advice - 2 or 3 beats, tops. The drum break could be tightened up, or put something else (piano again?) there. What's the time constraint on the listing? Without actually changing the arrangement, snipping a few seconds in those exposed places might be an improvement, JM2C.
Alan
It closes Sunday night. Thanks for the feedback. I still have time to make a few changes.

RickBourassa
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RickBourassa » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:28 pm

Susanstunes wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:49 pm
Hi Rick,
I think it needs more finesse in the guitar playing, and the mix of the guitar should be less out front.
Also the listing says any drums should be more off to the side or something like that, if you use drums.

The style kind of sounds 70s but not quite, maybe a couple of changes to the chord structure- 7th chords to the rescue!

Susan
Hi Susan. Thanks for the feedback. I realize it may not be a perfect fit for the 70s listing.

I am not quite sure what you mean by more finesse in the guitar playing. It’s easy enough to push it back in the mix by adding reverb and turning it down. Do you mean too much pick attack? Lighter strumming?

Susanstunes
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Susanstunes » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:14 am

RickBourassa wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:28 pm
Susanstunes wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:49 pm
Hi Rick,

Susan
Hi Susan. Thanks for the feedback. I realize it may not be a perfect fit for the 70s listing.

I am not quite sure what you mean by more finesse in the guitar playing. It’s easy enough to push it back in the mix by adding reverb and turning it down. Do you mean too much pick attack? Lighter strumming?
I'm not sure, maybe simply mixing it in better with the track would solve it. Just sounds a bit stiff in that melody played with guitar.

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:01 am

Hey Rick!

You have a great 70s vibe going there, but here's a few suggestions on some items that stand out to my ears.

1) The drums.
The listing is asking for "Very high bar, in terms of realism. Meaning, if any of the instruments sound too 'MIDI' then the Cues should be rejected.”
- I think your drum sounds may stop this track from going forward. It's the same repeated pattern over and over again. Same hit velocity, same sound that does not change.

Suggestions:
- Can you do the track with just percussion vs drums? Or maybe bring them in and take them out in sections, like the break?
- Can you spice up the drum track a bit sound wise and what's being played?

2) The acoustic guitar.
It has a nice sound, but there's a slight tuning/intonation issue every time it hits that A maj chord. It's not as prevalent when the other instruments come in, but you can really hear it in the intro.

3) Guitar melody needs to be a little bit stronger.
It seems to be repeating the same notes over and over...perhaps do a bit of a call and response with the piano?

Hope that helps. You're vibe is good, just some tweaking that can help!

Cheers,
Brad

RickBourassa
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RickBourassa » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:11 am

BradGray wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:01 am
Hey Rick!

You have a great 70s vibe going there, but here's a few suggestions on some items that stand out to my ears.

1) The drums.
The listing is asking for "Very high bar, in terms of realism. Meaning, if any of the instruments sound too 'MIDI' then the Cues should be rejected.”
- I think your drum sounds may stop this track from going forward. It's the same repeated pattern over and over again. Same hit velocity, same sound that does not change.

Suggestions:
- Can you do the track with just percussion vs drums? Or maybe bring them in and take them out in sections, like the break?
- Can you spice up the drum track a bit sound wise and what's being played?

2) The acoustic guitar.
It has a nice sound, but there's a slight tuning/intonation issue every time it hits that A maj chord. It's not as prevalent when the other instruments come in, but you can really hear it in the intro.

3) Guitar melody needs to be a little bit stronger.
It seems to be repeating the same notes over and over...perhaps do a bit of a call and response with the piano?

Hope that helps. You're vibe is good, just some tweaking that can help!

Cheers,
Brad
Great feedback Brad. I have some work to do.

Thank you,

RickBourassa
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RickBourassa » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:08 pm

I have an updated version and have taken feedback into account.

Please have a listen and let me know what you think. I still have time to tweak a few things before the deadline.

https://www.taxi.com/members/4HQXW96nRi ... set-cruise

RickBourassa
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RickBourassa » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:22 pm

First thing I need to fix, the piano seemed to fall out of the mix.