One Piece of Rally Advice

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

One Piece of Rally Advice

Post by Casey H » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:46 am

If there is one piece of advice I think is worth sharing it's this.

Don't approach the rally with the goal of being "discovered" by Mr. or Ms. Wonderful A&R! If you happen to make a great industry contact who takes your CD, fine. But I've seen many people go there being "discovered" as their goal and really miss out on what it's all about. They come home disappointed because the missed the whole point.

It's about (1) the learning and (2) the networking with a big part of that networking being with your peers. I can't even begin to tell you how many tracks are in libraries today or even being used on TV because of members meeting at the rally and starting collaborative relationships. And with that is also the sharing of all sorts of tips and tricks for all things musical.

And remember... It's FUN!

:D Casey

singer1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: One Piece of Rally Advice

Post by singer1 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:59 am

Amen brother! What Casey says is fact ladies & gentlemen. One of the main things I've found is that this, among with a lot of other professions, that it's all about the networking. Meeting people at the Rally is fun and exciting, and yes, you never know when you've found that person that has what you've needed to complete a song or an idea. :idea: Maybe someone who has gone through the same bug in technology; (Studio problems).( Like when you've laid down numerous great tracks, only to see your system take an unscheduled crash & burn). REMEMBER TO REPEATEDLY SAVE!!!! :o :shock:
The energy is infectious, and the smell of all things musical is in the air. Take a deep breath.... and remember to exhale! See ya there. D.B.M. :D

... the only race we're in, is the human race... D.B.M.

www.taxi.com/davidbradleymau
www.davidbradleymau.com

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:35 am

Couldn't agree more.

Cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

sansharbour
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sansharbour » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:00 am

Casey

Thanks for that bit of advice. Your experience is much appreciated

It's my first Rally and it can be a bit overwhelming with all that will be going on to keep both feet on the ground.
I am going to be flying from Hamilton ON . Lets just say it is a much anticipated adventure.

I try to ground my self by constantly thinking of why I am going,
First to learn and participate, to meet other like minded individuals, exchange business cards , cds, have great conversations.

See you there
Don

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:09 am

Don
Wear a dot on your badge to show you are from the forum and look for others with dots. That will help you make instant friends who can help keep you from being too overwhelmed. There are A LOT of activities all going on at the same time and yes it's easy to get dizzy.

Print and look over the materials in advance, circling the items of most interest.

Many of us hang out in the lobby lounge area near the bar in the evening. I'll be there so please come look for me to say hi... Feel free to drop me a PM if I can be of any help.

Looking forward to meeting you!

:D Casey

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by johnlewitt » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:26 am

Last years rally was my first and I'm looking forward to this one more than last years, as I now have an idea of what to expect. And what is it that I am really looking forward to? Yes, it's a LOT OF FUN, but I'm really looking forward to what I'm going to learn. I know what I want to improve upon, and now that they've released the full schedule, I'm trying to figure out how to make everything fit together so that I can l maximize my learning and apply this new knowledge over the course of the next 12 months. And this goes beyond the classes. You're surrounded by like minded people, so just talk to everyone you meet - don't be shy. You can learn anything from just striking up a conversation - from what virtual instruments people are using to what brand of capo people use (I bought a new one after last years rally!) the list is endless.

See you all next week.

John

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:04 pm

I agree I agree I agree

Ron
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

denalihighway
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by denalihighway » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:53 pm

So I don't bring my special gold contract-signing pen and my lawyer then? :lol:

Sound advice everyone, thanks. I've some great advice from forum buddies. (Thanks John)

I'm not expecting to be 'discovered' either. I'm still way too rough round the edges. But I've been working my nuts off preparing for it and making sure I don't waste any of the opportunities that might present themselves.

And I imagine there will be no shortage of fun...hoping I run into as many forum folk as possible. And hoping to resist any extended periods in the bar until Sunday night.

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:15 pm

And I imagine there will be no shortage of fun...hoping I run into as many forum folk as possible. And hoping to resist any extended periods in the bar until Sunday night.
Good luck with that Gareth... ;)

eo

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by crs7string » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:47 pm

What bar? :shock:
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington