Online Courses in writing Production Musc

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Online Courses in writing Production Musc

Post by hummingbird » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:42 am

Thanks for the further information on what you feel you need to know. I understand your dilemma, as I too often get the feedback that my tracks are too creative and draw too much attention to themselves.

The best way to approach it, imo, is to allow yourself total creativity in the composing stage while making sure the arrangement fits the brief (most TAXI listings want 2 mins). In terms of edit points, think of them like button endings, I'd suggest at least two in a 2 min track. End A section, End B section, End track. It can be as simple as completing the melody/part with some sort of ending. A drum beat on the last note or something, with a beat rest before clicking in again.

Step two is to start editing from the ground up. Here's where I start to edit down sections. Maybe take that added synth and have it come in later when dropping something else out. Maybe muting a few tracks to see how things work. Making sure there's a thru line while having things ebb and flow.

Everyone wants things to develop but often at the same time don't want too much ear candy. Go too subtle, it's not enough. Go too far, uh oh.

I'd suggest also listening to the forwards for listings you'd be interested in submitting for, if you don't already. Listen for how the track develops, where the 'edit points' fall.

HTH
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:51 am

...and how could we have forgotten to include Taxi member Dave Kropf at 52 Cues, who details his weekly Taxi submissions in his blog videos....
https://www.52cues.com/
The videos are free, but you could pay for more content access should you wish.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:36 am

Steve
Thanks for the detailed answer. It sounds like you are already doing the right things and you've picked up more tips here already. So I definitely wouldn't run out and spend $1000 on a course. I have heard good things about Jesse's Sync Academy and Mark's (cosmicdolphin) recommendation means a lot. You can be sure that if he thought it was a waste of money, scam, or bogus he would say so! :mrgreen: The good news there is it's $19.99 a month and you can cancel anytime which makes it low risk.

Keep on doing what you are doing. If you haven't been, next time you write a cue for a listing, post a link to your cue and the listing text (paste, not link!) in the peer to peer section of this forum. You'll get invaluable feedback both on the cue itself and how it fits or doesn't fit the listing.

I strongly encourage attending the road rally. I see you live pretty far away so I understand it might be difficult. But the $1000 you didn't spend on some course you don't need would be better spent on that airfare. In addition to the classes and panels, you'll form relationships with friends and collaborators. Collaboration is SO important in this biz.

Best of luck,
:D Casey

SteveR
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SteveR » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:45 am

hummingbird wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:42 am
Thanks for the further information on what you feel you need to know. I understand your dilemma, as I too often get the feedback that my tracks are too creative and draw too much attention to themselves.

The best way to approach it, imo, is to allow yourself total creativity in the composing stage while making sure the arrangement fits the brief (most TAXI listings want 2 mins). In terms of edit points, think of them like button endings, I'd suggest at least two in a 2 min track. End A section, End B section, End track. It can be as simple as completing the melody/part with some sort of ending. A drum beat on the last note or something, with a beat rest before clicking in again.

Step two is to start editing from the ground up. Here's where I start to edit down sections. Maybe take that added synth and have it come in later when dropping something else out. Maybe muting a few tracks to see how things work. Making sure there's a thru line while having things ebb and flow.

Everyone wants things to develop but often at the same time don't want too much ear candy. Go too subtle, it's not enough. Go too far, uh oh.

I'd suggest also listening to the forwards for listings you'd be interested in submitting for, if you don't already. Listen for how the track develops, where the 'edit points' fall.

HTH
Thank you very much! I appreciate the feedback and suggestions. I will build on them.

SteveR
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SteveR » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:49 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:51 am
...and how could we have forgotten to include Taxi member Dave Kropf at 52 Cues, who details his weekly Taxi submissions in his blog videos....
https://www.52cues.com/
The videos are free, but you could pay for more content access should you wish.
Oh yes, thanks; Dave Kropf, I’m already a subscriber to his 52 Cues channel. I really like the way he presents his videos, and his white glasses are uber cool 8-) . Nice to hear that he’s a TAXI member as well. Thanks Dave, if you happen to read this 👍

SteveR
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SteveR » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:03 am

Casey H wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:36 am
Steve
Thanks for the detailed answer. It sounds like you are already doing the right things and you've picked up more tips here already. So I definitely wouldn't run out and spend $1000 on a course. I have heard good things about Jesse's Sync Academy and Mark's (cosmicdolphin) recommendation means a lot. You can be sure that if he thought it was a waste of money, scam, or bogus he would say so! :mrgreen: The good news there is it's $19.99 a month and you can cancel anytime which makes it low risk.

Keep on doing what you are doing. If you haven't been, next time you write a cue for a listing, post a link to your cue and the listing text (paste, not link!) in the peer to peer section of this forum. You'll get invaluable feedback both on the cue itself and how it fits or doesn't fit the listing.

I strongly encourage attending the road rally. I see you live pretty far away so I understand it might be difficult. But the $1000 you didn't spend on some course you don't need would be better spent on that airfare. In addition to the classes and panels, you'll form relationships with friends and collaborators. Collaboration is SO important in this biz.

Best of luck,
:D Casey
Hi again Casey, and thanks again.

I appreciate yours and the others’ advice. You’ve all helped keep me on track and give me good guidance. I’ll be re-reading this thread a few times over coming months as a checklist and reminder so I don’t drift off course. I’m also pleased to learn that I’m doing pretty much the best I can at this point in my Production music ambition. You’ve helped restore my confidence, which is also very important. I’ll get there when the time is right!

As for the Road Rally, I will make my best effort to be there. I joined TAXI a few weeks prior to last year’s rally, and at that stage, I didn’t know enough about this business to really benefit, but if I lived nearer I would have gone anyway. By the time this year’s Rally comes around, I’ll be in a good position to get maximum benefit from it, and of course it would be fantastic to meet other members in person too, especially those of you who take time out of your busy lives to post on this forum and assist people like me.

You are greatly appreciated

Steve

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:15 am

SteveR wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:44 am
Now I’m getting daily emails with a countdown timer reminding me, like tick, tick, tick, BOOM! 💣 Conclusion now drawn about that one.
Yes, be wary of anything that's trying to use those sorts of marketing tactics it always smells a bit scammy to me. And thanks for the coffee :)

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:58 am

hummingbird wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:59 am
Cinematic Composing
Is that the guy who does the Orchestral stuff that speaks really fast ? I've seen quite a few of his free videos, what's the actual courses like ?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:08 am

I like when it's a $9,769 value, now $29. :lol: :lol: :lol:

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:17 pm

Casey H wrote: