"Only artists/writers affiliated with ASCAP...are eligible"?

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

aswann
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

"Only artists/writers affiliated with ASCAP...are eligible"?

Post by aswann » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:19 pm

Hi Guys, I am wondering if I am eligible to submit to a listing (posted below), that says "Only artists/writers affiliated with ASCAP...are eligible"? I am a Canadian SOCAN member which an ASCAP affiliation in the U.S. I don't understand why I would be excluded. What if my co-writer is American?

Thanks so much.
Cheers, Smudgie

TOP 40-Style POP SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed by a Major European Media Company for a variety of Non-Exclusive opportunities!

They’re looking for radio-worthy, Mid-to-Up Tempo Songs that you’d hear on a playlist with acts like (but NOT limited to): Dua Lipa, Harry Styles, The Weeknd, etc., etc., etc. Please listen to the following references to get in the stylistic wheelhouse of what they’re looking for:

“Break My Heart" by Dua Lipa

“Watermelon Sugar" by Harry Styles

“Blinding Lights" by The Weeknd

Please submit commercially appealing Pop Songs that would feel at home at the top of the Billboard Pop Charts. Make sure your submissions are melodically and rhythmically engaging, with plenty of awesome hooks, catchy Pop choruses, and infectious beats. Your Songs' instrumentation and overall productions should be fresh and modern-sounding. Your vocal performances need to be full of character, with deliveries that are in the general ballpark of the referenced acts.

The Company specifically told us that they want material that's "youthful and modern," so imagine the music you’d hear while shopping in trendy stores like: Forever 21, Topshop, or H&M, and you’ll probably be in the ballpark of what they need.

Lyrics that don’t have references to specific names, dates, times, brands, and places could make your Songs more appealing. Please do NOT copy the referenced artists or Songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

Quoting the Company: “Only artists/writers affiliated with ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, and APRA-AMCOS are eligible to submit their music for this opportunity.”

This company offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE Deal, so you will keep 100% of all Composition and Master Rights. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit for this opportunity. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Monday, August 24th, 2020. TAXI # S200824PS
TAXI # S200824PS

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: "Only artists/writers affiliated with ASCAP...are eligible"?

Post by hummingbird » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:20 am

I would call TAXI for clarification, but I read that as saying they only want US writers to submit. (I am also SOCAN with ASCAP affilication)
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website