ONOFFON

Yep. Drop your super cool ego and beg for fans!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: ONOFFON

Post by onoffon » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:15 am

Well, today's ONOFFON SSP is a very special review/bio that was written about us by a staff writer at the old Spin Records site. They were owned by the company, Solutions Media, that sponsored the first few EAT'M conferences in Las Vegas. This was significant for us because they published some of this bio in a promotional booklet that went out at the conference out of the goodness of their hearts. They didn't charge us anything for this wonderful publicity. It now appears at an incredible music website called Sonic Garden.ONOFFON - Sonic Gardenhttp://www.sonicgarden.com/sonic-web/artist.cf ... review/bio written by Maruhnissa Benford-CombsIf a musical interpretation were given to the directive "Stop/Change/Start," it would express as the sonic database known as ONOFFON. This mercurial trio could be a living music library; in fact they have supplied a variety of films with their wildly experiential musings. Some call them off the wall, but even more appropriately off the planet, like some satellite randomly sequencing frequencies and intelligently sorting them into amusing creative inner landscapes. Moods run the gamut of screwball to erotic to exquisite. Play them in your car, and you feel like you're starring in your own movie. Such is the visual poetry and character stance of ONOFFON.In this case, it does take three to tango: Von Babasin – bass and vocals, Don Lake - guitars, harmonica, vocals, and Dave Goode - drums and percussion. ONOFFON is a group to watch for indie street smarts. They are all over the place, including major sites as Amazon.com, The Muze, Mp3.com, and The All Music Guide, as well as BeSonic (UK), SoundClick, and CD Baby to name just a few. This trio is an experiment that works; with technical, musical, performance talent and vision like this, breakthroughs in multimedia are not only expected, but demanded. As Babasin says of the possibilities for indie music and the Internet, "It has opened a door that gives us hope. The sky's the limit." ONOFFON is navigating this realm as fast as the speed of sound at sea level.An interesting note is that Von is the offspring of Harry Babasin, an unsung hero of jazz pizzicato on cello, whose prodigious work can be found in the sonic archives of connoisseur label Nocturne. He was a major player in the melting pot phenomenon known as "West Coast jazz," which found the first inventions of its voice in the 1930's. He is said to have played on over 1,500 recordings (see the All Music Guide). Von has CDs of his father playing with Charlie Parker, Chet Baker, Benny Goodman, just to name a few. Harry is also credited with helping to create the bossa nova style of jazz in 1952, ten years before the famous "Girl of Ipanema" in the '60's. He also appeared in a movie with Danny Kaye and Virginia Mayo, A Song is Born, which showcased many of the jazz aristocracy of the day. Von holds the key to over 400 hours of these gems and is intent on making a cyber-museum and digital library of this rare music.The elusive rhythmatist David Goode financed his way through Percussion Institute of Technology playing Top 40 gigs, and is thrilled at working his chops in the experimental, open-minded atmosphere of ONOFFON. He seems to be of the "less-is-more" school of sensitivity, which does a great service to the total effect. A percussionist for 30 years, Goode is focusing his attention through the medium of an electric "Zen drum." The eclectic influences of rhythm pioneers Trilok Gurtu, Terry Bozzio and Buddy Rich have led him to the path of promoting solo drum music as a legitimate art in and of its own. Of Goode's trio work with ONOFFON, one can "expect the unexpected at live shows from me." Apparently, he gives good back rubs (must be all that drumming), but is bad with words and can't dance. Oh, well, as if being a beat shaman, isn't enough.The hands and mind behind the magic guitar presence belong to Don Lake, who describes himself as floating in the middle sea (middle C, get it?). Lake is an endless fount of presence, answering creative inquiry with a reflection of the question. When asked of live performance, the response is cutting and clear, "Hire actors and dancers to shake it and pander to the TV mentality. The musicians are here to go deeper into it." It is an apropos statement from a man who names his major influence as Beethoven. "Beethoven, Bach, those great composers were giants in humanity, they tapped into a divine world and were able to call forth inklings of remembrance to those who listen," he says. Music, coming from the timeless, transcends time. Great art lends a glimpse into the reality of this moment, a point from which ONOFFON's art derives its powerful beauty; the observer becomes the subject. True to his voice, Lake suggests that, "music is the second greatest invention of the human mind."What is the first?"Look around." Our sincere thanks to Maruhnissa, Spin Records, and Sonic Garden for their generous support of our music...

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:08 am

Our ONOFFON SSP offering today is one of the first we received on the internet - reviewing our first CD "Surrender Now" -Dan Gray's Online Anthology of Musical Internet Collaborations ONOFFON - Surrender Now5 out of 6 Strings"This band is comprised of serious musicians obviously highly skilled in their craft. Their first offering, Surrender Now, is a very credible effort, and shows great care in composition and fabulous musicianship. The rhythm section is very tight especially considering the multi-layered, multi-textured rhythmic feats that this band pulls off. The band is Don Lake on Guitars, Vocals and harmonica; Dave Goode on drums, percussion; Von Babasin bass guitar and the occasional keyboard, and the even more infrequent lead vocal.ONOFFON is a three-piece band with guest appearances on koto, percussion, backing vocals, marimba and something called "onoffonic philharmonic direction" among others by various artists. The CD has the feel of adult contemporary jazz crossed with progressive rock. The recording is very good and the music is technically proficient and interesting. The vocals are reasonably well-performed and lend themselves to the genre well, although I definitely wanted to hear more lead vocals from Von Babasin based on the performance of Inside My Soul. Some of the sarcasm and performance was reminiscent of Frank Zappa in places. The lyrics are fairly well-constructed and leave one with the feeling that there's more to be known, which I found intriguing at times, frustrating at others. Lyrically, most of the CD I would describe as melancholy or ironic in feel, with a healthy does of irreverence, sarcasm and indifference, all of which are perfectly suited to the genre. Musically, it fits well into the adult contemporary jazz/progressive rock genres with an interesting blend of musicianship among the artists and their guests. I give this CD five strings out of six. I would like to have heard more vocals from Von Babasin, and I had the feeling that the lyrics could have been stronger in places, but overall, it's a very, very credible and fine first offering, and I look forward to their next CD."Thanks to Dan Gray for starting our journey with such a complimentary review...

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:59 am

ONOFFON's SSP of the Day is an interesting view of our diversity of sound -The Duke at SpinMe.comONOFFONYour Mind"Onoffon are a jazz trio hailing from LA. Given the depth of styles they pine on their second disc, Your Mind, and the instrumentations that the three of them use, you'd be hard pressed to remember that they're a trio. One moment, they're an intense jazz band. "Mardi Gras" fills the air with guest Glen Garrett's soprano sax squeals while the band's rhythm section of Von Babasin and Dave Goode keep it grooving in an intense fashion. The next moment, they're a hippie fusion band playing tracks like "Alley Want" and the title track like they're primed to have their audience do that hippie noodle dance. The next moment, they are crooning away on "Bebe's Song" like they were stuck in a 30s time warp and then, mere moments after, they sound downright new age on "Opus". I personally wish they would stick to the jazzier stuff and stay away from the hippie rock. On the same token, the stylish diversity in which this band has to offer the listener and expand the definitions of jazz is more important than whether or not I like one style more than another."I love it when a criticism turns into the ultimate compliment - thanks to The Duke for appreciating what we are trying to do in stretching the limits of what's expected from a single group of musicians...

mirale

Post by mirale » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:33 am

well I told you I liked your music on another thread (maybe not here on taxi?...elsewhere ....I don't remember.....here is my web site if you wanna take a lookhttp://www.cjm.clan.stbest wishescris

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:45 am

Quote:well I told you I liked your music on another threadbest wishescris Yes cris - you left a post on our review thread here - you said -Quote:good various tunesI particularly appreciate the guitar worksbestcrisI thanked you for your comment but you didn't leave a link to your music there.I would say the same of your music. I listened to your Mp3.com.au drum works and the first two songs at BeSonic. You are right - Stephan is a wonderful guitarist - a lot of energy and a great tone. Your drumming is very good also.Thanks again and good luck,Von

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:56 am

Now - for today's ONOFFON SSP - we'll go back to the Incredibly Small Concert Hall for their take on Your Mind - this time, from reviewer Diane Jessurun -The Incredibly Small Concert HallONOFFON - Your Mindreviewed by Diane Jessurun"A band from Southern California has released their second CD entitled "Your Mind". A CD filled with a wide variety of styles including Jazz, Bluegrass, Alternative Rock, and some Contemporary sounds. This is a group of musicians that have a distinct way of channeling their style into magnificent musical pieces that showcase their musical talents. There are 11 Songs on "Your Mind" each of which share intense diversity and soul. The group has some widely talented musicians including Don Lake, Dave Goode, Von Babasin, Carole Couture-Olivieri, Stacey Baltes, and Glen Garrett. The first track "Your Mind" reminded me of the Brian Setzer Orchestra with it's cool groove and vocals. I also really enjoyed track 6 entitled "Bebe's Song". Listening to it I could almost see Frank Sinatra on stage singing his interpretation of it swaying from side to side as he sang "Everyone's telling me they think you're crazy for lovin' a guy like me". There are three instrumental tracks on the CD, actually four if you count the truly unique "Credits" song in which Don, Von, and Dave speak the whole credits section printed on the inside of their CD jacket. The three instrumental's "Shadowglass", "Mardi Gras", and "Opus" are truly unique and are played with a wonderful feel. The songwriting talent makes the band. I give them Four Stars for musicianship and an Excellent rating for CD mastering and awesome artwork. They also have been given excellent reviews by other web sites, all of which are posted on their web site. Check it out!"I especially like the fact that many reviewers took the time to also appreciate the artwork we create for our CDs. It is an intrical part of the overall artistic expression of ONOFFON. It is very fulfilling to me when someone notices - I thank Diane for her recognition and kind words...

mirale

Post by mirale » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:04 am

thanks Von ...you're a cool guy and good musician too...so I DO appreciate your comments!!!!best to you and yourscris here is one song for you:http://www.soundclick.com/pro/default.c ... gID=107156

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:09 am

Quote:thanks Von ...you're a cool guy and good musician too...so I DO appreciate your comments!!!!best to you and yourscris here is one song for you:http://www.soundclick.com/pro/default.c ... gID=107156 CRIS!!!!! You are a total freak - and I mean that in the most complimentary way!!! That song brought a smile to my face and is just what you said at the bottom of the page - about this song - fun!Cheers to you!

mirale

Post by mirale » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:31 am

AAARRRGGGHHHTTT!!! (my rallying scream)thanx once moreyou know I'm a crazy/full-fool/mad frenchy...lol!!!bestcris

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:50 am

Well - today's ONOFFON SSP will be two for the price of one. Ben Ohmart, who now writes for the Music Dish, reviewed these CDs and has them posted over in their archives -The Music Dishhttp://musicdish.com/mag/index.php3?id=778 ONOFFON - Surrender Nowreviewed by Ben Ohmart"I've been listening to this bluesy jazz album a couple times before looking in the CD booklet, and I'm surprised to see that this band only has a few performers. They make the most out of a few people. Don Lake is most to blame, being the voice and guitar. First song is the title song, with a Yes sort of influence. 'Surrender now / your myth of freedom / see clear vision / walk with wisdom'. Almost 70 minutes of not too hard, not too soft progressive or jazz mood, whichever you want to name it, comprised of guitar, bass and drums, with the odd sax, female backing vocal, etc. Nice long songs that give you vast instrumental sections and allow you to get a firm footing in the songs. Take it on a long trip and knock some miles off."ONOFFON - Your Mindhttp://musicdish.com/mag/index.php3?id=986"A jazz group with some funky sideburns across the riff. "Shadowglass" is a clean instrumental, fresh with flute, bass/guitar plucking notes right along side each other, more of a mood than a song, but like walking through a field of wet flowers on a deserted autumn night. "Mardi Gras'" irregular beat and Spanish-like guitar pave the way for the starring sax, and it's kindly jazz that shines down and asks if everything's all right. It is."Thanks to Mr. Ohmart for his ethereal musical observations...