ONOFFON

Yep. Drop your super cool ego and beg for fans!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

ONOFFON

Post by onoffon » Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:20 am

My name is Von Babasin and I'm the bassist in a jazz rock fusion group from Studio City called ONOFFON. We have released two self produced CDs over the last 5 years and promoted them almost exclusively over the internet. In that time, I have placed us on over 3,000 websites around the world that promote, review, stream audio and/or video, distribute, and broadcast our music, including all the major sites such as Amazon.com, CDBaby, The All Music Guide, BeSonic.com, IUMA, and tons of others, with more coming every day. Please see what we're doing at our site at: www.onoffon.com/ In our time on Mp3.com, and we amassed 157,000+ plays. Our musical directions are quite varied and the reviews we've received have been overwhelming. We are consistently compared to such groups as Dave Matthews Band, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Spyro Gyra, Brand X, Eric Clapton, Phish, and many others who have achieved platinum levels in sales and received GRAMMY awards and nominations. We consistently chart in the top ten on the SoundClick.com's Jazz Charts and in Feb/March 2001, our song, 'Mardi Gras', was featured at Mp3.com in a weekly newsletter, which launched it into the site's overall Top 40, peaking at #15, above two songs by Madonna, one by Faith Hill, and another by Dave Matthews. We were chosen as Mp3.com's Jazz Hot Artist Spotlight for August, 2002, as a result of winning the first ever Mp3 Idol Award. Then, in February 2004, we were featured on the front page, launching "Mardi Gras" into the #1 charting Jazz song, above Al DiMeola and Norah Jones just days before she won five Grammys. "Mardi Gras" has also charted #1s on three different Top 10 charts at BroadJam.com. We have done all of this with virtually no promotional budget and with EXTREME amounts of determination and dedication. You will NOT find an totally independent with more identity on the internet than ONOFFON - period.Contact Von Babasin for more information -Von Babasinvon@onoffon.comwww.onoffon.com/www.jazzinhollywood.com/Here's a sample review on our second CD, "Your Mind" - JamBands.com Reviewhttp://www.jambands.com/june00/monthly/cdrevie ... #cd14"Your Mind" - ONOFFONNFN31922review by Erica Lynn GruenbergCluttered. Weird. A smorgasbord of splendiferous sounds. Absolute perfection.I absolutely love it when I am surprised by a piece of music when I hear it for the first time. I love it even more when it takes multiple listens to even figure out what instruments are being played. Does this sound like a familiar sentiment? If so, "Your Mind" may be just what is needed to poke at, well, your mind.The very first track, fittingly entitled Your Mind starts off with a loud count-off, and then what I have come to figure out is probably someone running their hands or some sort of utility on the actual strings that are inside a piano. Stunning. Then, some screams here and there, and chanting of the words "your mind" over and over again. And then, a blast of vocals and instrumentation that honestly made my heart jump. This is a strong drug of a band.And ONOFFON are a talented bunch. Shadowglass features a flute part that gives an incredible tribal feel to an already sensuous masterpiece. Perhaps a soprano saxophone is what brings chills up and down your spine. Look no further than Mardi Gras, an instrumental tune led by Glen Garrett on saxophone. The percussion on this particular track is absolutely top-notch. It truly is the essence of the festival, as it is a portrait in melodic symmetry with Latin influence.ONOFFON indicates that Ocean's Cry would be "...a stark contrast of surrealistic hues and delicate gradiations reminding one of a dream not yet realized." Outstanding vocals and an almost Santana-esque feel that gradually builds from pretty and melodic to somewhat raging proves this to be true to light. ONOFFON is an honest, creative band that is not afraid to stand out from the norm. What a good idea...Perhaps Bebe's Song may be right up your alley. Yes, ONOFFON is not only creative, but they certainly like to make music from multiple genres and forms. A more jazzy tune, Bebe's Song is a love story of sorts that sounds like it could be performed on Broadway. Whereas Opus is a simple song featuring multiple guitar talents and even some occasional background rainstorm sounds that left this reviewer in tears.All in all, one cannot go wrong by checking out ONOFFON. In fact, I would stand to believe that letting this one slip through your fingers would be a mistake you'd learn to regret. Beautiful music does exist, and people are still making it...

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: ONOFFON

Post by onoffon » Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:18 am

Here's some more SSP -Spatola's Music Online:ONOFFON - Your Mindhttp://spatolasmusic.iwarp.com/revonyd.html5/5 stars"ONOFFON, the progressive jazz-rock trio from California, has once again achieved perfection with their second release, Your Mind. This one is a bit jazzier as a whole, but there are plenty of musical styles here, from hard rock to swing, odd (yet very well done) experimentation to solid jazz instrumentals.The album opens with the title track, a powerful, primal groove with some of Dave Goode’s finest drumming yet. There are also great backing vocals, funky bass and rhythm guitar, and wild flanging effects thrown in to keep things interesting. After the explosive ending of "Your Mind" comes the album’s first of three instrumentals, a wonderful, mellow song called "Shadowglass". This one features some melodic flute playing by additional musician Glen Garrett, which gives way to a great guitar solo by Don Lake, the band’s virtuoso guitarist, vocalist, and harmonica player, among other things. Von Babasin’s bass, as well as some piano and synths, give the song a brilliant, distinctive sound. Next up is one of my all-time favorites from ONOFFON: the six-and-a-half minute "Alley Want". Don’s harmonica solo at the beginning is soulful, and the chorus is catchy, with great harmony in the background. Glen Garrett comes back on soprano sax on "Mardi Gras", the second instrumental, which sounds fresh and new with each listen. The ever-changing "Ocean’s Cry", a track I didn’t like at first but grew on me, pushes Von’s funkified, innovative bass playing in the spotlight, along with a great vocal by Don. "Bebe’s Song" is a swingin’ little tune with Von on lead vocal. Changing rhythm patterns and great production (the dynamics soar in an unexpected buildup in the second verse) are in store for the next track, "For Hell Sake’s". This one has funny, real-life lyrics, presented in a jazzy kind of way. The third instrumental, "Opus" comes next, my favorite song on the album. With Don’s acoustic and electric guitars in full swing, you can’t help being immersed in the broad soundscape. Von and Dave provide a strong rhythmic background for "You Know I Can’t", a song with loud/soft/loud again dynamics and a sincere message. Next is "Wet Legs", a rocker with Don’s jamming guitar, Von’s powerful bass, Dave’s extraordinary percussion, and edgy lyrics. The album ends with "Credits", a dizzying reading of the huge list of thank-yous of this self-produced venture that ends with the words "photography, ecstasy, beans" (you’ll have to listen to understand it). Your Mind is one of the greatest albums of all time by any artist. I sincerely recommend it to anyone."Our thanks to Jason Spatola for a truly inspiring review...

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:20 am

Here's some more SSP -Don's Music Viewshttp://members.tripod.com/~djd3/onoffon-2.html ONOFFON/Your Mind (self-released NFN31922) "The California band ONOFFON is back with their second release “Your Mind”. The band has become one of my favorites for several reasons. First, they’re all great musicians and even their worst critic has to give them that. Second, they’re one of the most adventurous risk-takers out there. As this disc shows, an ONOFFON release is a wondrous journey from the absurd to the absolutely exquisite. The band consists of Don Lake (guitar, vocals), Von Babasin (some mean bass, vocals), and Dave Goode (drums, vocals). Their sound is supplemented nicely once again by Glen Garrett, who brings his sax and flute to the mix, and some background vocals from Stacey Baltes and Carole Couture-Olivieri. It’s hard to describe this band’s sound because nothing is off-limits to them and they cover a lot of ground. The best description would probably be to call it progressive jazz but even that doesn’t do it justice. They really have to be heard to be understood and you can’t say that about very many bands today. Let’s just say that they’re not only interesting, ground-breaking, and original, but they’re also visionaries. To put it another way, no one is doing what these guys are doing and what they’re doing is thoroughly enjoyable. “Your Mind” contains 11 tracks. 3 of them are instrumentals and for my money the band’s greatest strengths are their individual instrumental talents. “Opus” is just an incredible piece that begins with some soft acoustic guitar and just slowly develops into an envelope of guitar sounds from Don Lake. “Shadowglass” is another masterpiece that uses guest musician Glen Garrett’s flute to incredible lengths while still managing to showcase the 3 full-time band members as well. “Ocean’s Cry” is the band’s funky sounding track and features some mean bass from Von Babasin. To close out the disc, the band uses the albums credits as the lyrics for the aptly titled “Credits”. This has to be one of the most creative moments I’ve heard in a long time and the weirdest thing is that it works. Like I said earlier, ONOFFON really has to be heard to be understood. Take my word for it--no review is really going to do it justice."Thanks to Don's Music Views for such a mind expanding review...

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:19 am

Here's another SSP -The Lunatic Fringehttp://biphome.spray.se/perstenberg/onoffon2.htmONOFFON - Your Mind"The album kicks off with the title track. Here, all the three bandmembers are nothing short of brilliant in their tone, technical ability, ebullience and good sense of humor. I recall something well worth considering that Thelonious Monk expressed somewhere way back in time. He said, answering a visionary question; "Where´s jazz going? I don´t know where jazz is going. You can´t make anything go anywhere. It just happens". Basically this is what this track sounds like - something that just happened. Well, it did indeed happen and the result was really awesome. A James Brown lyric quote (from 'Payback' ) can quite appropriately summarize the feeling I have of this track; "I don't know karate, but I know caraazzzy!!!!"The album has got off to a very good start with the great groove in the opener, then it wanders onwards, keeping it´s promise......although the second track, called "Shadowglass", has a completly different style. This one is more like a beautiful never-ending dream with fluid alto flutes on the carpet of a smooth accompaniment with a slight jazz feel to it. Very harmonic and delicate as well. Stylewise this disc offers lots of twists and turns. Generally this might cause limitations to the overall feeling but here it´s all a good thing as it feels very closely connected and natural. Well, on to the next track..."Alley Want" consists of a rather bluesy groove with harmonica and all. I like the booklet description of this song; "Here the artist captures a longing and gentle caress, edged in a mixture of blues and freedom subtleties". So far the music has proved to be superb, the production is fantastic, the sound of it is crystal clear and that is nothing less than highly enjoyable. As was mentioned in the "background", ONOFFON´s music has clear roots to the jazz, blues and progressive area. Roughly speaking the first track belongs to the progressive, the second to the jazz and the third to the blues. This is well varied music, and it´s indeed very good.On to the fourth track, "Mardi Gras". This is a very light and fluffy track which probably will serve it´s purpose well as a cure for depressions. It makes me smile anyway. It has a latin rhythm to it, probably close to bossa nova. This track is slightly reminiscent to the Polish band Varius Manx, at least when they lean towards jazz. Anyway, "Ocean´s Cry" is up next. It´s a nice song, actually nothing much compared to ONOFFON standards, but still good of course. It includes a beautiful guitar solo and very solid, as always, playing from the rhythm section.The sixth song, "Bebe´s Song" is a quite eccentric one. It sounds closest to some jazz standard, performed with less originality but definitively with a happy jazz mood. This is also a song which most likely will make you smile, unless you do mind listening to pure vocal jazz that is. "Bebe´s Song" is good example of an extreme in the array of musical styles of this album. This is a three-minute song which leads to the next, "For Hell Sake´s". This is probably the most bluesy one. I for one prefer the leaning towards jazz and progressive but this is still at a very high level. It´s a pretty simple song with a nice groove to it.OK, what impressions do you get so far? This is top class music? In that case I truly believe that I´ve been able to express myself correctly. Here the album takes a more melodic turn. The following instrumental song called "Opus" is a really delicate piece of work. The blues and jazz tendencies are gone and a more straight-forward rock sound has taken place. It remains even through "You Know I Can´t", the ninth track of the album. This is more like a ballad, a very beautiful ballad that is. The vocals which is handled by Don Lake is very good and fits the song (and the music overall) extremely well. It really inspires confidence. My girlfriend did really catch attention to this song, saying; "This is good!". Need I say more? This really is good.After a brilliant exihibition by these highly skilled musicians only two tracks remains. First up is "Wet Legs", it´s a song that plays a waiting game in a very nice laid back mood before bursting out in a slight blues inspired refrain. Later all ends up in a great instrumental middle part, just to catch up with the basic theme and make it to an end. This song makes me think of the underestimated singer/songwriter Marc Cohn. The closer, "Credits" is a fun act. The credits from the booklet is read out loud by the bandmembers (all at once), accompaniged by a jazz piece, very much like background music, just to bring out.....the credits. Very original and very funny. As for everything else on this disc I´ll give them credit for that.ConclusionYour Mind is the breathtaking result of a band that is superbly integrated. The sound is pure and very clean and the musicians are indeed very competent. Various musicial directions, mainly jazz, blues and progressive is merged into a sound that is indisputably forged by ONOFFON. As being a trio the rhythm section, consisting of Babasin on bass and Goode on drums, is more than just a rhythm section. They both shine along with Lake on guitars. Well, I could go on and on and on about this album, but I won´t. Instead I´ll finish this review off by quoting Doctor Faustus; "When everything´s working, art always appears artless". Well, not this art. Not this time." - Per StenbergOur sincere thanks to Per for appreciating our music on such a deep level.

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:41 am

Here's an international SSP -ONOFFON - Surrender Nowhttp://www.eufonia.net/html/onoffon.html"Este trío originario de Los Angeles y compuesto por Don Lake en las guitarras, harmónica y voz; Von Babasin en el bajo, teclados y voz, junto con Dave Goode en la batería y percusiones, agrega una buena cantidad de músicos para añadir a sus composiciones koto, marimba, saxofón en algunos de los tracks ofreciendo un muy buen sonido que - en caso de querer ubicarlo- se encuentra en un rock entintado con matices de jazz y progresividad, en un estilo por demás americanizado.Las letras cumplen su parte, ayudando a entretener y cooperando eufónicamente con la música: nada pretencioso y hasta cierto punto agradable y necesario si te quieres apartar por un momento y "entretenerte y nada más".Dentro de lo destacable - en el sentido de caracterizar al grupo - es el uso muy inteligente de la harmónica (sin querer decir que no se hubiese hecho antes, pero hasta donde mi conocimiento alcanza, no como un sello distintivo de una banda de este tipo y, de nuevo, bien dosificado).Aunque todo el disco es recomendable, podemos hacer un alto en la jazzeada "Weekend In Montreal" (por cierto, sin harmónica, pero con un buen sax), la acústica y - sin duda - mi favorita "If A Thief Were I", aunque quizá el sonido con el que más se pueda identificar a la banda provenga de tracks como "Surrender Now".Un reconocimiento especial a la ejecución de cada músico en sus instrumentos: por ejemplo el bajo en "I Don't Give No ...", la poco ortodoxa percusión de zippers (?), palmadas en blue jeans y periódicos, de "Please Baby Please" así como la guitarra acústica en "If A Thief Were I"."Muchas gracias, Ciro Velázquez!!

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:00 am

ONOFFON's "Your Mind" was nominated for the Best Jazz Album of 2000 by JUST PLAIN FOLKS - we took third place - not bad for a completely unknown, self produced jazz rock group! Our song, Alley Want was also nominated for Best Jazz Song that year but did not win. Here's what they had to say -Just Plain Folks review:ONOFFON - Your Mind"Jazz is about musical experimentation and risk taking, and ONOFFON carries on that tradition with their hip beatnik jazz explorations. From track to track you never know what they are going to do next, but each track is a delight. From the funky piano/harmonica groove that starts "Alley Want" to the lounge Jazz feel of "Bebe's Song" I found delight in the surprise and the delivery. "Mardi Gras" has a more straight ahead Jazz groove to it, perhaps just to prove they can do it all. Original and playful, it is great to see bands like ONOFFON still inventing new music, all while tipping their hat to what has come before."Our deepest gratitude goes out to Just Plain Folks for having the foresight to appreciate our depth and diversity!

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:20 am

Here's our daily SSP - Aural Innovationshttp://aural-innovations.com/progrock/onoffon1.htmlONOFFON - Your Mind"Onoffon follows up last year's debut, "Surrender Now", with more of what is best, and most concisely, described as melodic jazz for progressive rockers. Nearly all their songs are rooted in standard fusion, but "rooted" is the key word here. There is more going on instrumentally and stylistically then simple definitions can convey. On "Your Mind" Onoffon is once again Don Lake on guitars, harmonica, keyboards, and vocals, Von Babasin on bass, and Dave Goode on drums and percussion. Onoffon is less a progressive band with fusion leanings than a song oriented fusion band with progressive rock leanings, though prog fans with a taste for fusion and bluesy jazz will find this band to be rhythmically exciting, toe tapping funky, and tastefully complex in their arrangements. My favorite tracks tend to be those with guitarist Lake's wonderfully soulful vocals and harmonica, and particularly those with guest flute and sax player Glen Garrett (wish list item: make Garrett a full time member). Among the highlights: The title track "Your Mind" opens with lots of plucking at piano strings and then launches into a Chile Peppers influenced funk rockin' bit reminiscent of moments from the band's debut CD. The duel female backing vocals add an avant rock feel to this freaky but melodic tune. "Shadowglass" is a laid back instrumental fusion piece featuring a gorgeously tasteful guitar solo from Lake. And Glen Garrett embellishes the music with his flute which works beautifully in conjunction with the guitar. Garrett's killer sax wails away on "Mardi Gras" in what may be one of the rhythmically strongest tracks on the disc. Dave Goode's Latin percussion work really gives the tune it's power. "Ocean's Cry" and "Wet Legs" are the tracks with the heaviest rockin' feel to them. Though very much a song, "Ocean's Cry" is a good example of Onoffon's adeptness at creating accessible, yet complex melodic excursions. Another of my favorites is "Opus", an ethereal instrumental track that features Lake ripping off a dazzling solo, and this is the track that should be used to suck in the prog rock crowd. A really nice combination of electric and acoustic guitar. In summary, Onoffon should appeal to fusion fans who appreciate creative melodies and soulful songs."Our sincere thanks to Jerry Kranitz for such a complimentary view into our music...

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:23 am

Here's today's ONOFFON SSP -The All Music Guidehttp://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg....l= ... 92kONOFFON - Your MindReviewed by Stanton Swihart4 1/2 out of 5 stars"AMG REVIEW: Opening with some atonal scraping noise courtesy of what sounds like toy piano on the opening title cut, Onoffon make it known from the beginning that Your Mind is an entirely different animal from the band's first album. While its wonderful instrumental prowess and locked-down ensemble playing is still in place, Onoffon take a distinct left turn on Your Mind, dispensing with its former new age-isms and opting to add world music, New Orleans, and Latin influences while maintaining its exciting jazz-rock and progressive direction. Slight blues touches also remain intact, especially when Don Lake pulls out harmonica, as he does on "Alley Want." The title song also shows the band incorporating fractured bits of avant-garde composition, intriguingly placed in the context of pseudo-bop fusion. The monster that results sounds a bit like Primus trying to play jazz. Although Onoffon does not show this atonal side again on the album, it has upped the stylistic ante of their music. The band members have more fully revealed a lighthearted side of their music, as well, from the appealingly upbeat "Mardi Gras," which has a sneaky world beat garnished with Latin percussion and soprano sax, to Von Babasin's light-jazz crooning on the pre-rock pop of "Bebe's Song." They even have an abruptly erotic ode to the delights of women, "Wet Legs," and, conceptually, the album seems to lean toward the most rascally thoughts of men. "Shadowglass" is a lovely instrumental that demonstrates all the band's strengths: individual chops that blend into excellent ensemble playing, fluid melodicism, and skilled songwriting. "Opus," too, shows Onoffon at the height of its instrumental abilities, with its improvisational harmonic coloring lending a psychedelic flavor to the song. The band's lead vocals are still the weakest part of the Onoffon equation, being neither gritty enough to contrast the mellifluousness of the music nor airy enough to complement it, and, indeed, the vocals seem to be downplayed quite a bit on Your Mind, never becoming intrusive. Some of the songs that have vocals are even primarily instrumental cuts, and the thing that a listener comes away from the album with is the imagistic music with its accomplished stylistic interweaving." -- Stanton SwihartWe appreciate Mr. Swihart for his wonderful review and this important addition to the ONOFFON archives...

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:58 pm

Here's one of my personal favorite SSPs -Through Different Eyeshttp://home.swipnet.se/tde/lb/onoffon/your_mind.htmlONOFFON - Your Mindreview by Magnus Florin"The follow up to the first "Surrender Now" is "Your Mind", from OnOffOn. Well, it' still the same kind of jazz feel to this band, but with one additional thing. It's craazzzy!! The introducing title track are among the most vicious and weirdest tracks I've ever heard. It's as if you take five or why not twenty insane jazz rockers and put them in a hole. Starve them till a close death and then give them their instruments. What happens...? OnOffOn, "Your Mind". There are a bit more guest musicians involved in this album compared to the first album. A bit more elements too, of course. Flutes, are brought in, which is really cool. And more backing vocals, the female kind. Some instrumental tunes on this one too, which can be seen as a relaxing thing. A good break up from the psychedelic atmosphere otherwise generated. A cool album with cool tune and music. Check it out!"Our thanks to Magnus Florin for such a craazzzy review!

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:18 am

Here's today's Super Bowl Sunday SSP -Kevin Kreiner of MP3critic.com (no longer online):ONOFFON - Surrender Now10 out of 10"Simply put, ONOFFON may be the most aptly named band on earth. Their new release, a full length CD called "Surrender Now," is schizophrenic in the best possible sense of the word. This power trio of Don Lake on guitars and vocals, Von Babasin on bass, and Dave Goode on drums goes from modern rock to straight jazz to long orchestral arrangements to Tom Waits style narrative without missing a beat, and the overall result is dazzling. It's like what you want radio to be, you're not sure what's next, but you know it'll be interesting. Add some guest musicians on saxophone or marimba, and you're in for quite a ride with this one. The album kicks off with the title track, the lyrical "Surrender Now." It's a pretty thing, no two ways about it. "Rock Garden" doesn't rock as hard as the title suggests, but the introspective lyrics more than compensate. The third number "Your Reality," is closer to your standard indie rock fair, a quick moving number built around a series of repeated phrases. Three down, eight to go, and that's where it gets funky. "Weekend in Montreal," the album's fourth track, is straight ahead jazz. Featuring Glen Garrett guest starring on tenor sax, without lyrics to get in your way, if you just came in at this point you'd think you were in the middle of damn good jazz record. Which, I suppose, is why "I Don't Give No," track five, hits really hard. On its own, "I Don't Give No" is kind of ordinary as angry rock songs go, following smooth jazz, it kicks you right in the teeth. In case it's not already obvious, this record's a radio programmer's nightmare. If you listened to "Weekend in Montreal" you'd say ONOFFON is a jazz band. If you just heard "Inside my Soul" (track 6) you'd be thinking lyric driven progressive rock. On the other hand, turn on track nine, "Letter Received," and you'd say Tom Waits is back with a story about getting screwed by the IRS. Skip ahead to track ten, "If a Thief Were I" and you'd be back to progressive, orchestral style like Yes used to do it. The best part of this record, aside from the skill with which the whole thing is executed, is the variety. I can't recall the last time I found a band so proficient at so many different things, and, more importantly, one willing to show it off on a single album. The best way to enjoy this one is just to put it on and let it play all the way through, beginning to end. You'll be glad you did."Our thanks to Kevin Kreiner of MP3critic.com for his amazing critique - we're sorry to see your site go...