Open Mic

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Open Mic

Post by tresero » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:59 pm

I'm curious about these. I'm doing a Cuban session in LA when I'm out and will have my Cuban tres with me, and my friend coming with me is a master percussionist (Cuban). Any suggestions from those who have gone? I don't expect anyone to really know the tunes, but I can bring music if there are people who read. Also, is jamming going on anywhere outside the classes etc. (i.e. in the lobby etc.)?

Thanks, and looking forward to seeing you all there.

AlexanderFox
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Open Mic

Post by AlexanderFox » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:32 am

Hi Jon! I'm also a Cuban musician and tres player (sadly I can't make it to the rally this year, but hopefully we can meet up next time). In my experience latin music doesn't have a huge presence at the Rally, but most members are really curious about it so I'm sure you can find someone to jam with. I brought my tres out a few years ago and pulled it out a few times during jams, which do occur in and around the lobby especially late in to the night on Friday and Saturday. The chord progressions in most Cuban tunes are simple enough that many guitarists can pick them up, but the syncopation might take a little more getting used to for many folks. Bring it along and you will open a lot of people's eyes to an unfamiliar instrument and musical style - you may not be jamming on Matamoros tunes but you will have a great time, guaranteed!

Cheers,

Alex
Alexander Fox
Your Latin music guy

http://www.alexanderfoxmusic.com

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Open Mic

Post by tresero » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:15 am

AlexanderFox wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:32 am
Hi Jon! I'm also a Cuban musician and tres player (sadly I can't make it to the rally this year, but hopefully we can meet up next time). In my experience latin music doesn't have a huge presence at the Rally, but most members are really curious about it so I'm sure you can find someone to jam with. I brought my tres out a few years ago and pulled it out a few times during jams, which do occur in and around the lobby especially late in to the night on Friday and Saturday. The chord progressions in most Cuban tunes are simple enough that many guitarists can pick them up, but the syncopation might take a little more getting used to for many folks. Bring it along and you will open a lot of people's eyes to an unfamiliar instrument and musical style - you may not be jamming on Matamoros tunes but you will have a great time, guaranteed!

Cheers,

Alex
Cool, would have been fun. We'll see what happens next year. I'm going to be almost full-time in Havana in May. Just waiting for my carnet.