Open Mics and 1:1 Mentors

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

SKM
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Open Mics and 1:1 Mentors

Post by SKM » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:34 am

I posted in Rally Love but realized maybe I should have posted it here - I'm hoping to start a conversation here that could benefit everyone including myself -

First of all - How early do they start letting people sign up for the open mics each night? It will be good to know when to start heading over to that area each evening -

But most of all I really am struggling with not only choosing my top 5 choices for a 1:1 mentor but also how to spend my 15 minutes with them - -

Who are you choosing and why? Is It because you have burning questions for them or because it would benefit you to play them some of your music?

What criteria are you using to make your decision? 15 minutes doesn't seem very long so I'm wondering what the best use of my time will be.

I hope these questions can start up a good thread of people who are wondering the same thing mixed with people who have done this before and have experience to share.

Thanks everyone. Excited to meet as many members as possible!

Sara
SKM_Music
Sara K. Marsalis

Singer/Songwriter; Musician; Music "Passionier" ;) Studying recording engineering and production

www.soundcloud.com/SKM-Music
www.instagram.com/SKM_Music

GregVaughan

Re: Open Mics and 1:1 Mentors

Post by GregVaughan » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:56 am

Hi Sara.

I am a newbie too and really appreciate your questions. The 1:1 mentors issue is the one I’m struggling with too. I’m looking through all their bio’s and it’s overwhelming the talent and level of mentors available.

I hope there’s some response for you because it would help all us new people.

Cheers! Greg

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:20 am

Hi Sara!
Good to meet you and thanks for posting the questions. I still grapple with the one to one choices every year (this will be Rally #4) so your questions have me motivated!

HI First of all - How early do they start letting people sign up for the open mics each night? It will be good to know when to start heading over to that area each evening -
I've never done any of the open mics so I'm not certain, but I'd probably be there at least 30 min prior
But most of all I really am struggling with not only choosing my top 5 choices for a 1:1 mentor but also how to spend my 15 minutes with them - -
I've had some awesome mentors over the years. I guess it all comes down to what are you really looking for? If you're having trouble(returns instead of forwards) because of a particular reason I may concentrate on that. I.E. low production/engineering scores you may want to play a bit of a song or two for an Engineering/Production mentor then ask them for pointers. Same thing with songwriting/structure.
If you already have your engineering and writing ducks in a row you may want to get with a library owner in your strongest genre.

I whittle down my list from the bio's provided and then I Google each name and zero in on my best fit.
My first one to one was Jason Blume. I felt my engineering/writing was good but I wanted his expert opinion. I played one song (2:44) and Jason pointed out an issue with it. I rewrote the song and it was signed this year.
2016 and 2017 1 to 1 both resulted in songs being either bought out or signed. These are great chances to get your music to some great people!
Who are you choosing and why? Is It because you have burning questions for them or because it would benefit you to play them some of your music?
I'm currently trying to write more TV Advertising songs so I'm hoping to meet with experts in that field who also pitch for those opportunities. Sherry Orson and Brooke Ferri are my co-first choices. I plan on playing a snippet of 1 or 2 songs and then ask their opinion on the viability for Ads.
What criteria are you using to make your decision? 15 minutes doesn't seem very long so I'm wondering what the best use of my time will be. sara!
Sara, expect to take a minute trying to find your mentors table, have a business card available and your song cued up (btw there's bad wifi in the mentor room..), have a brief intro of yourself memorized and be specific on your questions so the mentor knows what he or she is listening for.

Hopefully this helps a little. Best of luck at the Rally and maybe we'll bump into each other.
John
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

SKM
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SKM » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:29 pm

Johnny!

Thank you so much for your answers to my questions! This is great and exactly what I was looking for. I really appreciate you taking the time to help out us newbies!

Cheers!

Sara
SKM_Music
Sara K. Marsalis

Singer/Songwriter; Musician; Music "Passionier" ;) Studying recording engineering and production

www.soundcloud.com/SKM-Music
www.instagram.com/SKM_Music

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:33 pm

No prob. Good luck! John
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:32 am

SKM wrote:I posted in Rally Love but realized maybe I should have posted it here - I'm hoping to start a conversation here that could benefit everyone including myself -

First of all - How early do they start letting people sign up for the open mics each night? It will be good to know when to start heading over to that area each evening -

What criteria are you using to make your decision? 15 minutes doesn't seem very long so I'm wondering what the best use of my time will be.

I hope these questions can start up a good thread of people who are wondering the same thing mixed with people who have done this before and have experience to share.

Thanks everyone. Excited to meet as many members as possible!

Sara
Hi Sarah,
I replied to your post in Raly Love and so did another TAXI member.
Linda