Opinions on Indian Music

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mikebarresi
Impressive
Impressive

Opinions on Indian Music

Post by mikebarresi » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:40 am

Hey everyonewell, the listing is thisA range of great, authentic-sounding INDIAN MUSIC INSTRUMENTALS [no vocals] are wanted by a U.K.-based Music Library/Publishing Co. for TV placement. They want all styles related to the COUNTRY of INDIA and that region of Asia -- from Indian Classical to Indian Folk to Indian Pop (they're NOT seeking Native American Indian music). They don't want tracks that sound like they were obviously MIDI generated -- authenticity and great performances are the keys. Both instrumentals with lead melody lines and basic backing tracks that serve as "soundbeds" are OK -- they want both. All tempos are OK. Track length should be in the 1:00 -- 3:00 range. At this point they work mostly with prominent U.K. TV channels such as the BBC and ITV, but also supply music to other production companies that broadcast worldwide. If forwarded for D071025ID, please do not submit the same material. They offer non-exclusive, 50/50 deals. Broadcast quality needed [excellent home recordings are OK]. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS ONLY -- NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than Mar. 7, 2008.What i need feedback on is if you think this tune fits the listing. I wrote this a while ago, when i was first figuring out how to use my new pro tools rig. The best way to learn is to do! Well i came up with this:http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... am=trueany opinions and comments are welcome!thanks Mike

timbehrens
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Opinions on Indian Music

Post by timbehrens » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:32 pm

Hi Mike,I enjoyed listening to your tune. What did you use for the tabla sounds? Was that MIDI or an actual recording? I'd definitely say that it fits the Indian/Asian style, maybe Indian Pop. I think the only thing that might detract is that some of the melody lines are synth sounding and they say in the listing they don't want anything obviously MIDI generated. I'm new here, though, so I can't provide a lot of insight on whether or not you'd get a forward. Really enjoyed listening to your tune, though, and wanted to send a quick response. Best of luck. --Tim

rlcmusic
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by rlcmusic » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Hi Mike,I'm not at all familiar with this genre but it certainly sounds Indian and I would think you'd have a good shot at that listing. As for a few "synthy sounds" - again, I'm not familiar with what you'd hear in modern Indian music.... Good luck!Rachel

mikebarresi
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mikebarresi » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:27 pm

The tabla sounds are sampled loops... off the top of my head it could be Big Fish audio... it is one of the samples that comes with the Pro Tools LE Factory bundle. I made this tune experimenting with everything in that bundle. It is sounds from BFD drums, Xpand! and wherever the Tabla sound came from. Everything is sampled. I wrote it a long time ago and since then my computer crashed (before i backed up), so i have this mix and I'm going to submit it. Whatever happens, happens. It is always cool to hear what others opinions are though!thanksif anyone else would like to listen, feel free!! i greatly appreciate it!thanksMike

timmerblakely
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by timmerblakely » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:33 pm

Well, i'm no expert on Indian music but i think you captured the over all feel. But i must say that quite a bit of the melodic movement feels a bit midi perfect. And the rock drum feel definately pushes it into a very modern sounding interpretation. My 2 cents. Good luck with the listing.Timmer

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:07 am

Mike,Sounds cool ta' me. I like the drums and the overall feel. Good job. Screeners get pretty durn tight with this lister and the whole midi thing though. Can't call it one way or the other. Good luck!ibanez468

timbehrens
Impressive
Impressive

Post by timbehrens » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:10 am

Yeah, I'm thinking it couldn't hurt to submit it. If nothing else, you might get some good feedback/advice in the process. Best of luck.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:34 am

With the heavy rock drums and the synths I don't think it qualifies as authentic...at least not in the traditional sense. However it does have a very strong Indian flavor and may be useful in some scenes that require Indian crossover or "Bollywood" type music.Definitely worth submitting (particularly since I critiqued your Italian piece as "not authentic" and if I'm not mistaken that was forwarded ).matto

mikebarresi
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mikebarresi » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:09 pm

thanks for all the resposes! I submitted the tune last night after i did some tweaking in the mastering department. That italian tune was fowarded, and i'm willing to bet that this listing is for the same UK company. i hope this gets fowarded, it will be my 6th or 7th tune fowarded to that company within the past few months. If it isn't fowarded at least i will recieve a critique on it. I hope it gets fowarded, considering that every instrument is a sampled sound!!thanksMike

vicky
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by vicky » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:57 am

the ears are used to sampled instruments in the "Bollywood" style...I like the sound you're getting....it's kind of like Indian Music....the tabla could use more variation.....and fills fer sure...let us know if it's forwarded....vicky