Opinions on my productivity

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ChazAldi
Impressive
Impressive

Opinions on my productivity

Post by ChazAldi » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:02 pm

Hi everyone,

This may seem like a strange question - but I am asking this because of a discussion I had with a collaborator. I rejoined Taxi in late February and have been submitting since March 1. Since then I have had 12 forwards.

I work at least 50 hours per week (executive at a telecom company) have a wife, 3 kids (17,14,11) 2 dogs and a house.

Taking into account the above information, would you rank my productivity high, average, or low?

If you want to listen to some of my tracks and opine on their quality, that would be appreciated also. My SoundCloud link is in my signature. But I am mostly interested in hearing about my productivity levels.

Thanks in advance for any input you can give me!

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Opinions on my productivity

Post by Kolstad » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:52 pm

Productivity is about how effective your are, relative to the time spent, no? So, the information in question is how many hrs/week + how many tracks produced = productivity

Is basically about being effective.

However, in order to become more effective, you need to learn how to produce what the market needs, and how to utilize your personal strengths and resources to do that. This can take a lot of time, which is not productive time, but an investment in the possibility to become productive at a later point. If companies only focus on production, they will die, when the market changes, and today that happens fast.

So while productivity is good, it can also be a death trap, if it is not done mindful. You need to keep up with new trends, new gear, network, grow as a musician, build your musicianship ect. which does not contribute to productivity, but it does contribute to longevity, so you are able to stay in the loop over time.

But there was a great thread some time ago on productivity techniques here techniques-to-increase-your-recording-p ... oductivity
Ceo of my own life

ChazAldi
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ChazAldi » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:12 am

Kolstad wrote:Productivity is about how effective your are, relative to the time spent, no? So, the information in question is how many hrs/week + how many tracks produced = productivity

Is basically about being effective.

However, in order to become more effective, you need to learn how to produce what the market needs, and how to utilize your personal strengths and resources to do that. This can take a lot of time, which is not productive time, but an investment in the possibility to become productive at a later point. If companies only focus on production, they will die, when the market changes, and today that happens fast.

So while productivity is good, it can also be a death trap, if it is not done mindful. You need to keep up with new trends, new gear, network, grow as a musician, build your musicianship ect. which does not contribute to productivity, but it does contribute to longevity, so you are able to stay in the loop over time.

But there was a great thread some time ago on productivity techniques here techniques-to-increase-your-recording-p ... oductivity
That is a very good point - thank you for taking the time to respond. This was exactly the argument I was making with someone I collaborate with. I do not currently have the luxury of devoting all of my time to this but I am doing my best to make sure the time I do devote to it is well spent. We were debating quantity vs quality. Obviously the more forwards you have the more placements you should land and the more money you should make. But if my time is limited I have to be very mindful of which opportunities present me the highest probability of a forward and hopefully a placement. In other words, I have to prioritize which is exactly what I have been doing.

Sigh - I wish I could do this full time and support my family. This is my second time around and I really regret not paying attention to the good advice the first time. At least I am doing it now. I am pretty proud of the fact that with my limited time I have been able to get 12 forwards in 3-4 months. I believe that I am just getting started and should be able to increase that significantly as I learn.

Thanks again for the advice. I really do appreciate it.

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:28 am

ChazAldi wrote:I work at least 50 hours per week (executive at a telecom company) have a wife, 3 kids (17,14,11) 2 dogs and a house.

Taking into account the above information, would you rank my productivity high, average, or low?

Based on that info, your productivity is high as the sky!

Congratulations on putting in the work. Thank you for not making excuses and letting your responsibilities take away from your passion.

Since your time is limited, use templates to help your writing process go faster.

ChazAldi
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ChazAldi » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:54 am

Kolstad wrote:

That is a great thread with some very useful information. Thanks!