Orchestral cue in fantasy magic style

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

MJLeeman
Impressive
Impressive

Orchestral cue in fantasy magic style

Post by MJLeeman » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:38 am

I have been learning lately about various typical cinematic music styles through an orchestral composing course which I have been involved in.

This piece is my attempt at a so-called “fantasy magic” cue.

I have looked through various listings to see whether Taxi clients ever request cues of this type. I have not been able to find any such listings.

If I did, my query would be how I could improve the music which I have posted to be of sufficient quality in terms of the criteria usually applied , i.e. structure, broadcast quality, edit points, production issues and anything else.

Here's the track:-

https://www.taxi.com/members/nwRU7pygQr ... ic-fantasy

Cheers
Michael Leeman

JimDiGritz

Re: Orchestral cue in fantasy magic style

Post by JimDiGritz » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:57 am

Lovely track, great orchestration. Definitely captures the Cinematic Magical Fantasy vibe!

MAYBE you could add a little more to the 3rd section to really build up the fantastical element and PERHAPS your ending is just a touch lacking - a more pronounced crescendo or button might wrap it up perfectly!

Good luck!

MJLeeman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MJLeeman » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:16 am

JimDiGritz wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:57 am
Lovely track, great orchestration. Definitely captures the Cinematic Magical Fantasy vibe!

MAYBE you could add a little more to the 3rd section to really build up the fantastical element and PERHAPS your ending is just a touch lacking - a more pronounced crescendo or button might wrap it up perfectly!

Good luck!
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, Jim. I submitted this piece to Taxi for a custom review and the reviewer also suggested that a bigger ending would be appropriate, sort of like ending on a high. So I am now convinced that this is what is needed generally; and it would not be difficult to add this feature to what I have written. So I am hearing that point loud and clear, thanks for highlighting it, and I will edit the current track and also adopt this approach generally when writing future cues.

Cheers
Michael

MJLeeman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MJLeeman » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:17 am

Since I submitted this piece for review last year, I have completed a music course, and last weekend, I submitted an updated version of the original track as part of an event involving current and potential contributors to sync music.

As a result of that feedback, I came up with this revision, though I think that I still might need to have a more bombastic?/huge ending, as suggested by a Taxi screener who reviewed the earlier version of the cue. I guess that this might depend upon the particular scene in which the cue would be used!? I am not sure if there a particular need generally to have a big ending in every submission?

Anyway, I would appreciate receiving suggestions, advice and information on what I have presented here, so that I can learn how to continue to improve my music.

https://www.taxi.com/members/nwRU7pygQr ... unmastered

Cheers
Michael