Orchestral Electronic Hybrid

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

dschreiberjr
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Orchestral Electronic Hybrid

Post by dschreiberjr » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:34 pm

MUSIC SUPERVISOR for an ADVERTISING AGENCY that specializes in FILM TRAILERS needs ORCHESTRAL INSTRUMENTALS integrated with ELECTRONIC or DUBSTEP elements. They’re looking for MASSIVE, EPIC pieces that BUILD, DRIVE and EXPLODE. Music that can shake a movie theater to its foundation like: Two Steps From Hell - All is Hell That Ends Well - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-WcNNGJ9cA Position Music - Critical Mass - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI-_7hHh5Ts Jack Trammell - Crushing Blow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LKHQd8giYg Liquid Cinema - False Prophet - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1l1P-C5Ep4 Nero's Dubstep Symphony http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JAxgFe4hpE (from 4:52 Liquid Cinema - Soldier Of Fortune - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj6fq7boLeY Your piece MUST have several STOPS and RESTS. A little AIR every now and then will make it easier for the editor to cut your music to picture. It's IMPORTANT that the orchestral instruments in your piece sound real and authentic. Sample quality is essential here. The estimated fee for this license is $15,000-$25,000. This is DIRECT-to-SUPERVISOR so you keep 100% of all licensing fees. You will NOT give up ANY of your master, publishing and writer's share! You must own or control 100% of BOTH the Master AND Composition rights to submit for this listing. As always, please don't copy or rip off the referenced artists or their music in any way. No uncleared samples please. Broadcast Quality is needed (excellent home recordings are fine.) All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS by a TAXI screener. No full critiques. ALL submissions must be received no later than Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 12:30PM PST. TAXI #U121121IN
It's SuperSonic Stardust (MD) on my taxi page. Wondering what you wonderful folks think!

www.taxi.com/dschreiberjr

Thanks

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Orchestral Electronic Hybrid

Post by Cruciform » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:33 pm

Hey Dave,

I've listened a few times and here are my thoughts.

Positives: this is a really great track as is. Period. The only thing I might change is putting the brass through a bright reverb to give it a nice shiny sparkle and ring-out. If this was written for a library, it works right now.

With respect to this listing: The percussion is quite static along the whole piece. It either needs to layer up as it goes along or accelerate (for example - move from 8ths to 16ths). The way to approach percussion for this kind of thing is to build it in 3 distinct registers. The low big drums which will always be slow. This gives you the impacts and emphasis points or with a dark eq can provide a nice steady deep pulse (eg. hits once every two bars). The mid register section is where the build and drive occurs. Layer up throughout the piece in this register. Then in the high area is where you'd use sharp toms, metals, riqs etc.; percussion that has the sharp edge and can build excitement quickly with accelerating pace. I don't mean changing tempo, I mean increasing the number of strikes per bar, packing more in. You do have the registers in there but it's a sedate electro groove rather than a trailer build. The other way to do it is simply get bigger. Bigger impact points, louder drums, more dynamic high percussion without necessarily increasing the density of hits.

The synths are great. They sound nice. I really like your wobbles. The stutters add some modern grit.

The main overarching observation with respect to the brief is that it never explodes. If you address the percussion that will add to the build and drive but the overall piece lacks the epic oomph they'll be looking for. Layer, layer, layer. And when you think you have enough layers and that it's big enough, add a few more. Seriously! This will stretch your mixing and production skills to new levels, learning to pack so much density in but have it all contribute to the sound without being muddy.

With the budget they have, they could afford any of the ref tracks so you are in direct competition with those writers.

dschreiberjr
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by dschreiberjr » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:16 am

Great tips, Rob! Thanks for that! It's great you bring up percussion because that's exactly where I feel like it's missing something. Invaluable advice there...seriously. That probably saved me years of mimicking and analyzing big epic trailer percussion elements. I'll be sure to work on these changes tonight. It's due today, but hopefully the files aren't sent until after I over-write what's there.

Cheers!
Dave

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Cruciform » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:26 am

HTH. I'm plugging away on my sub for this atm. Just hoping I can get a final mix that I'm happy with in the short time I have left! :o

dschreiberjr
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by dschreiberjr » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:41 am

Cruciform wrote:HTH. I'm plugging away on my sub for this atm. Just hoping I can get a final mix that I'm happy with in the short time I have left! :o
Helps a lot. Let us know when you have your stuff up. I, and I'm sure many others, would love to hear it. :)

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Cruciform » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:50 am

Will do, mate.

Just for trivia, I'm trying to debug 46 lanes of percussion at the moment and work out where the freqs are going screwy. I *may* get this done in time. :lol:

nick.moxsom
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nick.moxsom » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:35 pm

Nice work, Dave.

Invaluable advice from Rob.

Good luck to both of you.

Nick

Salty
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Salty » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:47 pm

Dave, (sorry I wrote dan earlier, I know a Dan Schrieber)

Glad you posted.- and Rob, excellent comments.

I got in also but think my effort is gonna fall a bit short for 2 reasons.

1. my Wobble thingy wasnt workin for me so had to go away from the DubStep stuff
2. Didnt quite get to finish everything in such a short amount of time, but my attitude is that hopefully if it dont work here, itll work elsewhere...anyway, Ill post when I get it up on the cloud of sound-itude.

But I appreciate hearing what you did.

Salt

Okee heres it is: http://soundcloud.com/saltysalt-1/fools-errand :?
Last edited by Salty on Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:59 pm

Supersonic Stardust - A few comments. Firstly, very good mix IMO and nice work on the bass/brass and other elements. One thing that concerned me is that in the 2 drop-outs the volume of the remaining instrument is very low... leaving more space than feels comfortable - if this is the style, then please ignore me, if not, I'd like to hear that element punched up a little. Also at the end, I wanted to hear a bass drum or other deep kick on that final beat. That's all just my opinion, keep or sweep! Great feedback regarding building the percussion above, too, I loved the build in your final section, if the percussion was building too it would be kick ass :)
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

dschreiberjr
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by dschreiberjr » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:58 pm

I updated the file. Hopefully it over-writes before anyone at Taxi listens to it. Any comments on the updated stuff are welcome.

Also, hummbingbird, I'm not sure I know which part you're talking about...the drum groove?

Dave