ouchy

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

wrdsnmuzik
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

ouchy

Post by wrdsnmuzik » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:23 am

Got an "On-target, but" return, and I can't deny it bruised the ol' ego. So far, most of my stuff has been straight yes/no returns, with one forward, so I've only seen a few full comments. It's hard to read that altho it's right for the entry and well-performed, and well-recorded, it's not distinctive enough, y'kno?This was a blues listing (A VARIETY OF BLUES SONGS AND INSTRUMENTALS in all styles including Rural, Urban, Delta, Contemporary, Electric, Acoustic, etc. are needed...All tempos will be considered and male or female vocals will be just fine.) and mind you, I'm not complaining, just venting a bit. The song is on my page, Happy Happy Blues. (www.taxi.com/geoffreywelchman) Chart was a mix of 6s (music, lyrics), 7s (vocal, arrangement, prod), and 8s (musicianship). Review: Overall: Simple, straight ahead acoustic blues.. i appreciate your fluid playing and the blend, interplay between the vocal and the guitar.. Echoes of the great Big Bill Broonzy in this relaxed delivery and arrangement.. while this is solid, you might to even more to add your own sense of variation to the melody, phrasing, lyric/ melody signature or ? challenge your vocal to reveal even more about your self,,, sense of innovation within this trad style.)Reason it wasn't forwarded (Good feeling for the blues, yet no really distinctive figure or individual vocal performance emerge here..these pro listings focus on composition as well as performances..)ah well . . even tho this was on my 1st album, in my heart of hearts I think I could do a better take. so....perhaps the time has come!PS. I hafta say, just being on this board for a week or so, I already feel very humbled and happy to be interacting with you talented folks. I've often complained aloud that I don't have pro-type people to bounce things off, and I was encouraged by hanging out at Harmony-Central.com, but this board feels like the real deal. I'm already learning both from your examples (the various tunes posted in peer-to-peer) and from your generous critiques of each other. I told my gf about this review last nite and she was worried by my tone: "you're not giving up just because of this, are you?"my answer? "of course not!"

cameron
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: ouchy

Post by cameron » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:47 pm

Geoff,Excellent guitar playing and singing for sure, but I can see what the screener was saying. To me, a clear "personality" (for lack of a better word) doesn't come through in the vocals.Why don't you post the song in peer-to-peer and see what others think?Cam

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:26 am

"I told my gf about this"wow, you have a giraffe? and it talks?!!!cool.Just messin' with you. I like your songs (I already told you that!). I got a couple of returns for this listing also, mine were just plain off target.

jazzstan
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jazzstan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:15 pm

wrdsn...I got a similar response for 2 of my 3 submissions (one did get forwarded.) I had intentionally submitted a couple of very simple/vanilla pieces of music, so I can understand why the reviewer made a comment about "The key is to feature the line .. chord changes, melodic phrasing that can set your work apart." and "...take more chances with your compositions." So somedays I overshoot the mark and somedays they've moved the mark. !!!Of note -- I don't recall the listing didn't say anything about looking for "unique/original sounding" material, but that's where the review seemd to be coming from!

rivercitymusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by rivercitymusic » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:20 pm

Look, you guys are all players. Not I said the goat.If music was a drug, you'd be dealers and i'd be a user. My hats off to you all.Like my daddy said, "son you have a voice for print and a face for raido. live with it"You all seem to already be performing artists, again my hats off to you, so don't bitch in life. You have no idea how many people would love to play like and sing like you do, just for fun, much less for a career. so lighten up on yoursleves. if this was so easy there'd be no money in it.On happy happy blues i'll tell you this:If you changed your voice to more of the old black blues greats (hopefully you know who i'm talking about and there were many of them. son house, johnsn, howlin wolf and so o) you'd get a much better song out of it and catch more ears.They lived in their voice and lyrics. You felt their pain when they sang. (thanks bill clinton for the phrase)I'm not criticizing you. You play and sing very well. Pat yourself on the back but remember a kick in the ass is only 2 feet away. so don't carry around an ego or it'll get bruised.Best to you all, it was enjoyable listening.Doc

rivercitymusic
Impressive
Impressive

Post by rivercitymusic » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:23 pm

Nov 13, 2008, 12:26pm, billg wrote:"I told my gf about this"wow, you have a giraffe? and it talks?!!!cool.Just messin' with you. I like your songs (I already told you that!). I got a couple of returns for this listing also, mine were just plain off target.You a mean futher mucker!But you got me on the floor laughing my ass off. I'm whiting out over here. Can't see nothing but stars. Quit it!Doc

wrdsnmuzik
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by wrdsnmuzik » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:05 am

hey, that was no lady . . . that was my giraffe! (punchline of a VERY old joke)riv---point well taken about taking musical gifts for granted. I feel incredibly fortunate to have music in my life. thanks for the feedback, folks, and best of luck of all of y'all.