Paying it forward

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

guitaroboe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Paying it forward

Post by guitaroboe » Fri May 13, 2022 10:47 am

Hi everyone,
I’m Adonis Aletras, back here at the forum after a few years of absence. Recently Michael Laskow and myself did a Taxi TV live together (How to become a successful composer) at the Taxi YouTube channel.
I had a lot of fun doing it and the whole experience reminded me of all the fond memories I have from this very forum! My baby steps towards success started right here. Right here.
As a way of paying it forward, I will be hanging out here and helping out (time permitting) ANYONE who wants to become successful in composing for media. Ask me anything, career related, business, tech, music…I’m here to help!
I strongly urge to watch the video on the YouTube channel. Lots of nuggets and insight into the real world of media composers!
Cheers everyone
A

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Paying it forward

Post by superkons » Sat May 14, 2022 6:31 am

Welcome back, Adonis!
I saw the video, and it certainly was extremely interesting, lots of knowledge shared, thank you for that.
By the way, I know you from the Perspective FB group :)
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

guitaroboe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guitaroboe » Sat May 14, 2022 6:51 pm

Cheers mate !

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Post by OwenGrech » Sun May 15, 2022 1:35 am

guitaroboe wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 10:47 am
Hi everyone,
I’m Adonis Aletras, back here at the forum after a few years of absence. Recently Michael Laskow and myself did a Taxi TV live together (How to become a successful composer) at the Taxi YouTube channel.
I had a lot of fun doing it and the whole experience reminded me of all the fond memories I have from this very forum! My baby steps towards success started right here. Right here.
As a way of paying it forward, I will be hanging out here and helping out (time permitting) ANYONE who wants to become successful in composing for media. Ask me anything, career related, business, tech, music…I’m here to help!
I strongly urge to watch the video on the YouTube channel. Lots of nuggets and insight into the real world of media composers!
Cheers everyone
A
Hi Adonis,

Thank you so much for reaching out and thanks to both you and Micheal for doing that Taxi TV episode!
Being from Europe (Malta), I devoured that one since most all of my Taxi heroes hail from America it was a huge inspiration to see someone just as successful coming from a country not so far away, and not massively larger than mine.

You mentioned that although it was a long and expensive flight it was very important to attend the Road Rally so, if and when you can would you be so kind as to sprinkle some tips about the preparation one needs to do before attending their first Road Rally, specifically someone who is willing to travel all the way from Europe (or any other long distant country for that matter).

It would also be much appreciated if you can give some extra insight into other strategies us European composers can use to our advantage (I liked your positive attitude with regards to us being able to work while our American friends are sleeping for example :D )

Once again thank you.

Best Regards,
Owen

guitaroboe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guitaroboe » Sun May 15, 2022 10:48 am

Owen,
The most important thing is attitude: go there with an open mind, be sociable and meet as many new people as you can. Don’t be afraid to introduce yourself and tell folks what you do, but keep a humble and respectful demeanor while you do that.
Attend as many panels/workshops as you can and sign up for mentoring! I will be doing mentoring so be there early and sign up…slots get taken away real fast.
By all means take usbs or cds with your music, choose only your very best tracks/songs. Don’t just put music for the sake of filling up space. Personally it takes me less than 10 seconds of listening to keep me interested before moving to the next track.
It’s a very intense event but it will change your life!
Cheers
A

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Post by OwenGrech » Sun May 15, 2022 1:13 pm

Adonis,

Thanks so much for the great advice! Yes I agree, attitude is crucial!

Looking forward to meeting you in person.

Best Regards,
Owen

Rolf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Rolf » Sun May 15, 2022 3:51 pm

Hi Adonis,
thank you so much for your offering. Great to have you here.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun May 15, 2022 4:37 pm

Hey Adonis

Did you ever post any stats on your trajectory, and how much do you think things have changed since you started ?

Mark

guitaroboe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guitaroboe » Mon May 16, 2022 1:39 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 4:37 pm
Hey Adonis

Did you ever post any stats on your trajectory, and how much do you think things have changed since you started ?

Mark
Mark
Good to hear from you…no I haven’t posted any stats…do you mean financial or forward/returns/signed stats? Not quite sure what you mean!
Anyhow, things have changed quite a bit since I first joined. The music library scene has become quite saturated over the years…too many composers and too many tracks. Having said that, there’s still demand for high quality cues (both musically and production wise) the bar is very high. Those composers who have established relationships are keeping busy regardless.
Same for songwriters and pitching for sync…everyone wants a piece of the action…again high quality songs always come on top.
Hope this helps!
Cheers
A

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon May 16, 2022 4:16 pm

guitaroboe wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 1:39 am
Do you mean financial or forward/returns/signed stats? Not quite sure what you mean!
Any or all of the above really..whatever you are willing to share

Example : 3-year-update-t149219.html?hilit=year