peer feed back

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

flee

peer feed back

Post by flee » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:34 pm

https://www.taxi.com/members/fayroena

hi , Even though Im constantly adding and editing (trying to perfect them), would love some peer feedback. :|

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: peer feed back

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:17 pm

Hi Flee, this is a difficult track to critique but I hope I can offer a few comments that might help.
On the good side of the scales, the sounds are good and nicely recorded, the lead voice has a nice sound, and the harmonies are good.
On the not so good side, the intro is too long, the lead vocal is drowned out and has some pitch problems in places, its hard to discern the lyrics because of the mix, the mix is out or balance, the track is much the same all the way through (no distinct structure), and for sync it always better to have a composed ending rather than a fade.

I would say that a better arrangement would be a good starting point here. Aim to give the track some sense of structure with sections and transitions that allow the track to develop as it progresses. It would also be a good idea to have someone mix the track for you (or better still, help you mix it yourself). With the good sounds you have it wouldn't necessarily take a lot of time or effort to get a better mix sorted out, and that would be a worthwhile step. Good luck with it :).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

flee

Post by flee » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:16 pm

Thanks Telefunkin,
I appreciate your feed back. I am looking to work with a very good producer (I am new to this). I dont expect to get placements , cause they need a lot of work ( need a better DAW) I am hoping a label or A&R can see where im trying to go, and take me on. Again thanks so much for your feed .

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Sat May 01, 2021 1:23 am

I listened to "Messing Around". I agree with the previous commenter mostly, the mix is off-balance and obfuscates your (also obvious) talent. Some extra comments:

- for sync, a 4:51 song is usually way too long. Try to stay within 3:00-3:30.
- when you want strings, it is almost never enough to grab a violin from an orchestra library and use it from the box (unless it is a VERY expensive library); you'll inevitably get "sounds MIDI" comments. I found string mixing to be an art in itself, and avoid it mostly these days cause you should pay a LOT of attention to picking sounds from several libraries, layering articulations and effects and it EATS your time. If you want to go there, you can expect a big time investment to get good enough at it.
- too much reverb on the drums; they sound as if they're playing a football field away now. You want them much closer and snappier.
- vocals are way too far back in the mix; they need at least 5 dB extra. You can partly do that by taking DOWN the level of the competing instruments (guitar, vibra thing), though not all of it.