Percussion level considerations for tension cues

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BrianSteel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Percussion level considerations for tension cues

Post by BrianSteel » Wed May 04, 2022 7:56 am

Good Day Taxi Friends,

I did a mix once (not for Taxi) and someone commented that my shaker was too "hot" which I guess meant too loud.

In the realm of cues, particularly tension/investigative cues, what is the desired aesthetic when it comes to percussion sounds like cowbells and similar percussion devices that are used intervallicaly (occasional hits or rhythms)?
Not talking about drums or epic bass drum hits or cymbals.

Right now, I have a tension/investigative cue that uses a cowbell. It has an eerie sound that you could probably hear in a movie where the protagonist is alone out in the woods being hunted down by the bad guys and wondering which way to go.

As far as the editors using our cues for their projects ( i guess TV shows), where do their tastes run as far as percussion ornamentation. Do they go more for a subtle low-key element or do they like the cinematic prominent sound where this element's voice makes itself known and can send goosebumps up your spine? Is that too distracting for TV or do they go for that kind of cinematic style?

Thanks and enjoy the day.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Percussion level considerations for tension cues

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed May 04, 2022 11:03 am

As ever the answer is " it depends " and " post it up so we can hear it "

Personally I would err towards further back in the mix, you don't want anything distracting jumping out.

BrianSteel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Percussion level considerations for tension cues

Post by BrianSteel » Thu May 05, 2022 9:51 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 11:03 am
As ever the answer is " it depends " and " post it up so we can hear it "

Personally I would err towards further back in the mix, you don't want anything distracting jumping out.
Thanks Cosmicdolphin,

The mix is done. I went with a blended approach so nothing is obtrusive. I am submitting today, so the cue will uploaded tonight on Taxi and I'll post a link.