Phishing phone calls

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ChrisEmond
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Phishing phone calls

Post by ChrisEmond » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:55 am

Hello everyone,

I don't know what the situation is like in the U.S. but in Canada, phishing phone calls are common events. These numbers are usually foreign but local area codes are also used. Typically, I get two or three a week but I've also seen times when the fraudsters are very active and I would receive 2 or 3 of these automated messages per day.

The way they operate is if you don't answer on the first call, they will call again until you block the number. If you try to call back, you get a message saying the call can't be completed. I normally ignore them and block the number after verification.
Having worked for the Montreal Police Fraud squad, I know there's not a lot we can do about it since the fraudsters are usually located in foreign jurisdictions where police agencies are ill equipped to deal with the problem.

My question to you is this:
When publishers, music supervisors, etc. contact us to follow up on a forward, do they leave voice messages or do they discount anyone not picking up on the first call?

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Phishing phone calls

Post by ttully » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:17 am

Hi Chris,

I would say 90% of the time I have been contacted by email.
But on the few occasions I have been called...they always left a voicemail and sometimes they called back multiple times.
I have never picked up the phone on the first call from a library......not because I would't do it....just because I didn't have my phone!

Tim

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:05 pm

I commonly get 2-4 robo-calls per day, per phone line. I hate those guys. Especially the ones telling my PC is throwing error messages. These days I don't answer any numbers I don't recognize. I once tried to counsel one to use his skills to go find a good job with an honest company. I hope he did it. :lol:

Anyway, same for me, it's mostly done by email. Occasionally a phone call but so rare that it's not worth answering all the robo-calls.

I think all music industry people would leave a voice mail and put the ball in your court to call them back.
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:41 pm

My ISP provides a service called Nomorobo; robocalls are blocked after one ring. It's probably also available as an Android or iPhone app. Requires a little setup, but it's working very well, here.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone