We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

karafinman
Impressive
Impressive

Piano Based Piece

Post by karafinman » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:46 pm

https://soundcloud.com/user-913241419/b ... al_sharing

Would the above post work for this listing? Does it have enough momentum? Thank you.

Instrumental
[NEW LISTING]
PIANO-Based INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by an EXCLUSIVE Music Library that's connected with many TV Production Companies and Showrunners for a Major Network Show!

This Library is looking for a bunch of Instrumental Cues in the general stylistic ballpark of the following references we got directly from them:

"Fly" by Ludovico Einaudi

"Comptine d'un autre été, l'après-midi" by Yann Tiersen

Quoting the Library: "We need pieces in a range of moods from sad, humorous, tongue-in-cheek, and fun, as well as drama for driving moments. The pieces could also be jazz-adjacent. We really want to try and keep the whole show feeling like it’s scored."

Please submit top-notch Piano-based Instrumental Cues that could help set the tone in a range of scenes in a TV show. Your arrangements can include some additional instrumentation along with the piano – but please be sure that piano remains the base and focal point of your pieces. We recommend crafting your Cues around a singular motif and mood, and creating a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Your production and any software sounds or samples you use should be high-quality and fresh, as nothing dated-sounding or obviously MIDI-driven will work, here.

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Piano Based Piece

Post by johndalenow » Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:17 pm

Very up-lifting and hopeful. The arrangement itself was well crafted. Though certainly not imperative, you might consider one, well placed, edit point break, giving way to an "elevation" of some sort. Just a thought. Nice job though, brother! Good luck.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:12 pm

I'm not on the best speakers but it sounds really nice. The listing says they are looking for a wide range of piano based cues so that should also work in the favor of those submitting (e.g. they may not have to be as close to the ref tracks as other times).

I think you should shorten it though.
All submissions should be at least 90 seconds long, and can run up to 2 minutes (a little bit longer is fine).
2:42 is significantly more than "a little longer". I've seen tracks get returned for that.

I'll try to listen with decent headphones later or tomorrow. Good luck!

:) Casey

karafinman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by karafinman » Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:27 am

2:42? I didn't think that's what my Cubase timeline said. Thanks for the warning.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:22 am

Got the headphones now. I like it! Love the way you built on the motif. Not sure if you should lower the strings a little, I'd get other opinions. I already mentioned the length before. A lot of it is the very long ring out, you could trim 5-6 secs off that but I'd still cut a few measures to be safe. Good luck!

:D Casey

karafinman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by karafinman » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:50 am

Thank you, Casey. You always come to bat for me on this forum.

karafinman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by karafinman » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:40 pm

Here's an edited version. I'm not sure why it starts with what sounds like a "blip".

https://soundcloud.com/user-913241419/b ... al_sharing

bmete
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by bmete » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:48 pm

Hi
Nice playing!

a few little comments:
The listing is asking for button endings, your ending drags on for over 12 seconds and fades away. That will certainly get you a return even if the screener liked the tune.
My only other concern is the heaviness in the left hand chords ( heaviness in velocity and thickness in the lower register). it also to me kind of contrasts with the title,
That might be problematic in scenes with dialog.

I really like what happens at 1:50 on. Like Casey said the length is pushing it. You might want to consider splicing the song in two and have two versions.

Good luck with it.
Bob

karafinman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by karafinman » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:58 pm

Thanks a lot. For some reason, I always have problems with endings. If I shorten certain things in the MIDI editor, they still tend to ring out. Do you have any advice?
The ending is an Omnisphere string pad.

bmete
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by bmete » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:45 pm

HI,

I would just use your fader. example: if your ending chord is 4 beats at 2 beats I'd draw a 45 degree angle pointing down so that 0 db would be at the beat one of the following measure. ( I hope that makes sense.
Bob