Piano player

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

stick
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Piano player

Post by stick » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:51 pm

Hey guys,I'll be at the Rally, and since I'm no "open mic nite" sort of artist, I thought I'd offer to play piano (I'm assuming there's a piano sitting there... ) if any of you singer-songwriter types don't play acoustic guitar (is that possible?). If you've got a chord chart and it's not some crazy jazz thing I should be able to keep up. I won't be there on Friday night, as I'll be off hanging with LA friends at the Getty... and Sunday we're taking off to get home. You could send me an mp3 beforehand too...Just thought I'd offer....brian

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Piano player

Post by tedsingingfox » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:35 pm

Way to go, Stick. Very kind of you to put that out there/on the table. I can hardly believe I'm the first to respond ... and I don't even need a pianist.Hope you don't get swamped at the last minute.C.U.ThereTed
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

liamkelly
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by liamkelly » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:41 pm

Quote:Hey guys,I'll be at the Rally, and since I'm no "open mic nite" sort of artist, I thought I'd offer to play piano (I'm assuming there's a piano sitting there... ) if any of you singer-songwriter types don't play acoustic guitar (is that possible?). If you've got a chord chart and it's not some crazy jazz thing I should be able to keep up. I won't be there on Friday night, as I'll be off hanging with LA friends at the Getty... and Sunday we're taking off to get home. You could send me an mp3 beforehand too...Just thought I'd offer....brianStickTremendous offer. Really in the spirit of the things. Or of how things should be.I don't need a pianist (I need God's orchestra to hide behind!!) but I am so moved by your brotherhoodness (if it's not a word it should be . Good on you All the bestLiam

stick
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by stick » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:48 pm

I think it's "brotherhoodedlyosity". Nah... it's no big deal... just thought it'd be fun.

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:33 pm

This is probably the wrong place to ask this question, but I thought it might fit here within the generosity of Brian's offer.--- so what is this open mic thing like? I know it's a potshot to get on stage, but what is the general atmosphere? Is it like an "unplugged" thing mostly? Do you only get to do one song, or is there like a time limit?The reason I'm asking is that my co-writing partner Ponch will be my guest at the rally. We can do either a totally unplugged thing with an acoustic, and maybe me doing some keys, or we could do a CD less guitar and jam with that. To me that seems kind of Karaoke hokey, but if it's common for the open mic, then it would would be okay I guess.In my dream scenario, there would be an all star forum house band backing Ponch and I up on "Beautiful World". Aub

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:39 pm

Quote:This is probably the wrong place to ask this question, but I thought it might fit here within the generosity of Brian's offer.--- so what is this open mic thing like? I know it's a potshot to get on stage, but what is the general atmosphere? Is it like an "unplugged" thing mostly? Do you only get to do one song, or is there like a time limit?The reason I'm asking is that my co-writing partner Ponch will be my guest at the rally. We can do either a totally unplugged thing with an acoustic, and maybe me doing some keys, or we could do a CD less guitar and jam with that. To me that seems kind of Karaoke hokey, but if it's common for the open mic, then it would would be okay I guess.In my dream scenario, there would be an all star forum house band backing Ponch and I up on "Beautiful World". AubIt's a mix of both things you mentioned. Probably most is "unplugged", acoustic guitar or piano but there's a fair number of singers and rappers that do their thing along with a instrumental CD or whatever. It's set up for both.The general atmosphere is really electric and everyone really appreciates the talent that comes up to play. You won't find a more receptive and appreciative audience.

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:05 pm

Quote:Quote:This is probably the wrong place to ask this question, but I thought it might fit here within the generosity of Brian's offer.--- so what is this open mic thing like? I know it's a potshot to get on stage, but what is the general atmosphere? Is it like an "unplugged" thing mostly? Do you only get to do one song, or is there like a time limit?The reason I'm asking is that my co-writing partner Ponch will be my guest at the rally. We can do either a totally unplugged thing with an acoustic, and maybe me doing some keys, or we could do a CD less guitar and jam with that. To me that seems kind of Karaoke hokey, but if it's common for the open mic, then it would would be okay I guess.In my dream scenario, there would be an all star forum house band backing Ponch and I up on "Beautiful World". AubIt's a mix of both things you mentioned. Probably most is "unplugged", acoustic guitar or piano but there's a fair number of singers and rappers that do their thing along with a instrumental CD or whatever. It's set up for both.The general atmosphere is really electric and everyone really appreciates the talent that comes up to play. You won't find a more receptive and appreciative audience. So.... if we have one song, should we rock out with a CD, or do a more mellow acoustic number?????I know this is an unanswerable question-- just seeking some input from those who have been there Aub

stick
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by stick » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:12 pm

Go big or go home. That's what I say.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:28 pm

Quote:This is probably the wrong place to ask this question, but I thought it might fit here within the generosity of Brian's offer.--- so what is this open mic thing like? I know it's a potshot to get on stage, but what is the general atmosphere? Is it like an "unplugged" thing mostly? Do you only get to do one song, or is there like a time limit?The reason I'm asking is that my co-writing partner Ponch will be my guest at the rally. We can do either a totally unplugged thing with an acoustic, and maybe me doing some keys, or we could do a CD less guitar and jam with that. To me that seems kind of Karaoke hokey, but if it's common for the open mic, then it would would be okay I guess.In my dream scenario, there would be an all star forum house band backing Ponch and I up on "Beautiful World". AubAub, there are two open mics. One is the "official" open mic which is usually in the big ballroom... where you put your "I wanna play" ticket in a box and they pull it out... it's held Thu, Fr & Sat nights... starting at 8? I think & ends around 11. It's big. they provide mics, piano keyboard, electric guitar & acoustic guitar (plugged in), you can also bring a backing track to sing to. Your ticket gets pulled, you can play one song, one time, in three nights.Then there is the "little" open mic, which is run the same nights in a smaller more intimate room, you play by sign up, they have the same equipment as above... I think it starts at 8 and goes to the early hours of the morning. You can sign up all 3 nights... you play one song.H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:30 pm

Quote:Quote:It's a mix of both things you mentioned. Probably most is "unplugged", acoustic guitar or piano but there's a fair number of singers and rappers that do their thing along with a instrumental CD or whatever. It's set up for both.The general atmosphere is really electric and everyone really appreciates the talent that comes up to play. You won't find a more receptive and appreciative audience. So.... if we have one song, should we rock out with a CD, or do a more mellow acoustic number?????I know this is an unanswerable question-- just seeking some input from those who have been there AubDoesn't matter as long as it's good
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website