Please review my songs

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

philasonic

Please review my songs

Post by philasonic » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:17 pm

I tried posting in the Shameless Promotion thread but did not get a response. I read in someone else's post that peer to peer is where you can get reviews from other taxi members. So now I'll try here.I'm a new member just checking things out on the forum. I read about these peer reviews and wanted to get some feedback from my songwriting colleagues. Let 'er rip. No sugar coating please, only the truth, good or bad.I have music posted on myspace and streaming from my website.Better sound quality on the elasticgroove.com site than on myspace. The music is windows streaming media, so you will need Windows Media Player in order to listen. Otherwise you can listen on myspace.http://www.elasticgroove.com/music.htmh ... 8771Thanks for any input you can provide.Peacephilasonic

twilsbach
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Please review my songs

Post by twilsbach » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:25 am

Hey Baldilocks,First of all, nice haircut. I listened to some tracks on Myspace. Overall, good musicianship and production on these tracks. Are the horns MIDI?Not really sure what kind of feedback you're looking for. What types of listings are you planning to submit those tracks to?

diogenes
Impressive
Impressive

Post by diogenes » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:05 am

I'm listening to the first track on the elasticgroove page. Sounds great. Good production and good performances. Has a 70's funk/disco/classic rock vibe. Good instrumention and breaks as well. Thsi track is well put together, I could easily see it getting a Film/TV placement. Good luck.

philasonic

what kind of feedback?

Post by philasonic » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:37 pm

I'm looking for any kind of constructive criticism, not looking for encouragement. Review or comment on things like these:Song/Lyrics/MelodyMusicianship/Performance/DeliveryTone/Sound/Engineering/Production/Arrangement/Overall FeelAnything particular you would like to comment on or point out or ask about. Things that you feel need improvement, things that are strong, traits you like/dislike about it, does it sound professional or home made, does it sound like a band or an individual, etc.The horns are MIDI. They are mostly done with a Roland GR33 using Baritone Sax, Trombone, and a Horn Section parts layered together. Not sequenced and quantized.I hope this better explains what I'm looking for. I'm basically just trying to get a feel for what people think, good or bad.Is it better to post a link directly to a specific song and ask for a review for just that song only? And if so, is it ok to post several times, once each for other additional songs? I don't want to spam this forum. (yes, I'm clueless)

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:50 pm

Phil,It's easier to get feedback if you reference a listing, or ask specific questions. Review my music is pretty broad. It's also helpful if you post more specifics, like goals/direction, etc. I've also found a song at a time gets more response.Aub

kurtkreimier
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kurtkreimier » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:32 am

Phil,I gave a listen on your MySpace page and your tunes definitely have a combination reggae/funk/R&B vibe going. I think the songs are generally well crafted. In terms of lyrics nothing really struck me as being outstanding but keep in mind that I am really more into instrumental music and it takes a really great lyric that hits me on an emotional level to make an impact for me. I can say that I was hearing what I needed to hear at the critical times, chorus, hook, etc.. I thought the musicianship, composition and arranging were largely well done. My only real issues had more to do with production quality. The horns came up earlier and they do have kind of a midi sound to them. Real horns would be better but what you have still works for me. I did think they were well arranged and voiced for the style of music you are making. My biggest concern really centers around your eq. I think you need to think about cutting your low mid's, lets say 200Hz through maybe 400 Hz and boost up your high mid's and highs. The tracks had kind of a muddy sound and really lacked brightness and I think these adjustments would help. You might also want to think about adding a little reverb and/or chorus. By and large I would say you are making some nice music and I hope you find these suggestions helpful.Kurt