Pluginitis partial cure

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Pluginitis partial cure

Post by lesmac » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:22 pm

I think I may have stumbled upon a partial cure for obsessive compulsive plugin disorder. A now well known debilitating condition that is growing exponentially and being exploited by large and small companies alike to cash in on the needs and weaknesses of music creatives trying to buy their way to success.

The chronic sufferers of this illness usually receive an email with the words "sale; once only offer; up to --% off; get deal; this weekend only; super deal; hot; top rated etc, etc, etc...

After reading the "pro" reviews, checking out the youTube videos and being smoothly anaesthetised by the colourful GUI with all it's knobs, meters, dials and of course grammy award winning producer presets the vulnerable prey enter a heightened state of arousal characterised by an uncontrollable twitch of the lower arm, hand and index finger. This is the critical point where intervention can occur.

Using latest cognitive behaviour techniques and a slight move of the twitching hand to the left the cycle can be short circuited.

After going through all the arousal stages like adding discount coupons etc to get to the point of "complete payment" in the wonderful shopping cart area, proceed as follows:

Step 1. CBT component: say to oneself "is this really something that I can't do relatively easily with my existing list of plugins"

The answer is usually a "NO"

Step 2. Move the mouse pointer to the area that says "remove from cart"

Step 3. Let the involuntary muscle spasms play out until the endorphins kick in.

It is only a small study base so far [me] but the results are encouraging enough that a larger trial with a dedicated control group could yield interesting data in the fight to lessen financial suffering and buyer's remorse on a growing number of victims of this cruel epidemic.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Pluginitis partial cure

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:14 am

CTWF wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:17 pm
This is a very bad condition -- like a other addictions. Because I recognized this danger early on, I never hopped on the bandwaggon first place and have stayed abstinent ever since I started producing 3.5 years ago.

My VIs, plugins, and DAW are all for free. :)
You have the same condition , you're just at the opposite end of the spectrum

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:49 am

This is hilarious. Man you nailed it, Les.

AudiniAudio
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AudiniAudio » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:57 pm

But the plugins are calling me by name in my DREAMS!!!

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:39 am

I can give it up any time I want to!
Hmmm...but Kontakt 13 looks good, and did you see this? Its almost giving it away.
https://www.lootaudio.com/category/plug ... 31639e403b

:o :shock: :roll: 8-) :lol:
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:44 pm

Telefunkin » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:39 am
I can give it up any time I want to!
Hmmm...but Kontakt 13 looks good, and did you see this? Its almost giving it away.

Oh no! :roll: :cry: :x ..Sale ends8 d16h19m5s

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:32 pm

I have played around with programming plugins - have written a few for experiments and one in particular as I wanted it to exist - VisualClick so I could record acoustic guitar with a mic against a click without sound bleed.

Whenever I think about actually doing it for dough it always ends up being about ideas that exploit Pluginitis - more generally known as GAS - that just magically "fixes" something for you where you end up tweaking everything else in the chain to the point where you still sound the same as before but with an extra plugin in the chain.

So for now I just build them for myself and wait and see if i have an idea to genuinely help me that others would also need.

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Post by OwenGrech » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:51 am

Haha I can definitely relate as I have clicked that darn mouse button way too many times:)

What I usually do these days is, I leave the items in the cart for a day or so and if when I come back I still feel the need, then I will pull the trigger. Usually I realise that I already have similar plugins that I have rarely used or even totally forgot about!

For example, recently I upgraded to Komplete 13, but it was a thought out and useful purchase which I absolutely don't regret as I really needed to upgrade in some areas.