Pop / Adult Contemporary song listings

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

rlcmusic
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Pop / Adult Contemporary song listings

Post by rlcmusic » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:24 am

Hi,I'm just trying to get a feel for the type of listings that TAXI receives for the Pop / AC genres. I have been looking at 3 in particular in the current listing:- (Y071217PO, Y071218PO and S071228AC). I'm just wondering whether the current listing is fairly representative of this category (I realise the listings must vary to some degree every 2 weeks...) I'm wondering whether for example - it's usually publishers advertising for songs or record producers (above listings = 1 publisher and 2 record producers). Maybe it's always a mixture....I know you can never "assume" anything but I'm wondering whether it could be considered "typical" in listings like the above that the publisher would offer an 'exclusive' deal to the songwriter if they liked their material? Also wondering what would happen in the case of the record producer listings? - would the songwriter then be signed to a publisher linked to the producer or keep the publishing? Maybe all these scenarios are possible but I'm just trying to get a feel for any 'normality' ! and understand the whole process.I've also done a search in the forum to try and get an idea of pop songs that have been forwarded in the past for similar listings but cannot seem to find any threads. If anyone can point me to any - that'd be great.Thanks,Rachel

ciskokidd
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Pop / Adult Contemporary song listings

Post by ciskokidd » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:00 am

Hi Rachel,The listings run the gamut of publishers, producers, music libraries, managers, etc.If the listing is from a publisher, you can guarantee that they will want a share in your song and that it will almost surely be exclusive.Music libraries come in two flavors - exclusive and non-exclusive and the listing will tell you what they offer.Producers and managers are a different thing all together. They may want to share in the publishing or they may just be looking to use your song to add to their project. This will be a case by case basis and the listing will most likely not tell you. You will need to be careful in your negotiations at this point. Don't be afraid to ask questions should this come to be the case. There are some very knowledgeable folks here that will help to point you in the right direction.As for any threads to past forwards, I'll let the others reply since I am fairly new to the boards. What I can say is that the Pop/AC listings are usually very high-bar unless you are submitting to a music library listing.Hope this helps to clarify a little.Best regards,Cisco

rlcmusic
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Pop / Adult Contemporary song listings

Post by rlcmusic » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:28 am

Hi Cisco,Thanks a lot for your reply. It confirms to me that until the contract is in front of you, you just don't know.I look forward to seeing the variety of listings in the coming months and also look forward to submitting to various genres (when I get around to writing more!).Thanks again for your reply and I'll do my utmost not to hit my head too many times on this bar! ( - 'If at first you don't succeed - destroy all evidence that you ever tried' )Rachel