Drum driven pop instrumentals - how to replace vocals?

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

arska
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Drum driven pop instrumentals - how to replace vocals?

Post by arska » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:04 am

I'm working on below listing that requests percussion driven pop instrumentals. Challenge is that when listening the reference songs vocal tracks are really the factor that makes these songs alive in that particular genre this listing is focusing on.

Now the thousand dollar (or even more) question to me is that when I drop the vocals out what should I produce to replace the missing vocals that are so essential in this type of genre in a way that my tracks still sound like belonging to this genre?

Is it enough to put riff and baseline or should I really start creating a melody line as well.. it would be almost impossible to create melody line in these type of songs without it sounding plainly... stupid.

When you listen the instrumental version of those reference tracks (yes they are available in youtube) they sound entirely different than the full songs.

---

HARD-HITTING, PERCUSSION-DRIVEN POP INSTRUMENTALS are needed by an A-List Film/TV Music Licensing Company. They’ve just recently started running Listings with TAXI, so chances are you don’t have material in their catalog yet! They’re looking for really strong Mid-to-Up Tempo Instrumentals that are in the general stylistic wheelhouse of the references below:

“Run The World” by Beyoncé: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBmMU_iwe6U

“Hollaback Girl” by Gwen Stefani: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgjkth6BRRY

“End of Time” by Beyoncé: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke2yoLWtylc

Although the references have vocals, this request is for Instrumentals only. Please submit high energy Pop Instrumentals that are impactful and primarily driven with percussive elements such as (but not limited too) Stomps, Kick, Claps, Slaps, Snaps, Bings, Taps, and Bangs. Your overall production can be relatively simple, but it needs to be rhythmically engaging and powerful. Feel free to get inventive and creative with the instruments and sounds you use.

Quoting the Library’s CEO: “Because this request is defined more by instrumentation than anything else, there’s a big range of approaches you can take, and I want you to have plenty of room to get creative and have fun with it.”

Note: This company has an incredible track record of Big Deal TV Commercial placements under it’s belt, so they’re going to be looking for excellence in what we forward to them. Please note that music that might be good enough for “standard” music libraries probably won’t be good enough for this company! The bar is high, but this is a company you really want pitching your music!

All submissions should be between 2:00 to 3:00 long, give or take. Non-Faded, Buttoned/Stinger endings will work best. Do not copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as general guide for overall feel, texture and tone. Broadcast quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine).

This company offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE, 50/50 split. You’ll split all upfront sync fees 50/50. You'll get 100% of the Writer's share. The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit for this pitch. Please submit as many Instrumentals as you’d like, online or on CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis – Short critiques only. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PDT), on Wednesday, October 11th, 2017. TAXI #Y171011HP

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Drum driven pop instrumentals - how to replace vocals?

Post by Len911 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:06 am

Stabby synth sound for a melody line? That would probably fulfill the genre and percussive nature of the vocals. A talking drum if you preferred a more acoustic approach.

The vocals are more rhythmic than pitch driven. If there was a track with only the main vocal, you might wonder if they were singing.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music