Pop Production/Mix Feedback?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

PeteW

Pop Production/Mix Feedback?

Post by PeteW » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:31 am

Howdy! My collaborator Todd and I are starting to put together some indie-pop style tracks. This isn't
for a specific brief at this point, just honing our pop chops. I'd love some feedback on the following:

1) Does the overall sound and arrangement fall within the pop realm, or what genre would you say this is?
2) How is the mix - does it sounds like something that would get forwarded quality-wise?
3) Anything stick out in terms of issues with pitchy vocals, performance timing in general?

Here's the track: https://www.taxi.com/members/0bmMlaH7Rn ... odd-bradt-

Thanks in advance for any and all input. My contributions to this track were a majority of the vocals,
half of the lyrics, the main chorus and bridge vocal melody, and general production/mix details. Todd
performed some of the vocals (Verses that come in second on the track), did the instrumental parts,
and managed the production/automation and mixing. This track has yet to be mastered but Todd's
planning to do that this week.

Peace, see you all at the Road Rally!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Pop Production/Mix Feedback?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:17 pm

PeteW wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:31 am
1) Does the overall sound and arrangement fall within the pop realm, or what genre would you say this is?
No it has some horribly dated synth sounds/production and the writing isn't anything like current Pop. The best section is from 1:00 to 1:20 when it actually sounds like something more genuine although still not modern. Genre wise I would say it sounds kinda like throwback mid to late 80's MOR / AOR
PeteW wrote:
2) How is the mix - does it sounds like something that would get forwarded quality-wise?
The bit I preferred was fine but the dated writing style and questionable instrument / production choices would stop it being forwarded IMHO ( if it was a current Pop listing ) although if they wanted something that sounded from a previous era it might work if you got rid of all the crazy stuff and just had it ore more like the better section mentioned above all the way through.
PeteW wrote:
3) Anything stick out in terms of issues with pitchy vocals, performance timing in general?
No the rest of the issues outweigh the singing IMHO.

All in all I think it goes back to the old adage ' write to the listings' otherwise it's easy to fall back into dated writing styles and habits when there is no reference track. Curerntly it sounds like it's put together by peopel who's Pop references are a few decades out of date.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:33 pm

Hey Pete
I think this might have potential in the pop/singer-songwriter realm a la Jason Mraz. From a production POV, it needs a major overhaul. Too much dated stuff, noise and FX, etc. You could simplify it a lot. Check out songs like "I'm Yours" by Mraz.

From a songwriting POV, the chorus could be stronger and structure could be more conventional- verse chorus verse chorus with the chorus emphasizing the title/hook line. That is NOT a requirement, not all successful songs do that, but you can never go wrong that way. In this song, when the chorus comes in at 1:00, it sounds a bit like a verse or even a different song. You can even start this song with what you have from 1:00-1:22 as a verse and then go to a chorus. Maybe go with "The Longest Of Nights" as your title. You come out of that verse and go into your "The Longest Of Nights" chorus (which you'd have to write). What you have from 1:00-1:22 and at 2:47 are really catchy verse material.

JMHO HTH
:D Casey

mattbee
Active
Active

Post by mattbee » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:55 pm

I could hear some of the parts being treated/re-done with different tones and steered in the direction of 'bedroom pop' for future listings/other opportunities, if that's something that interests you also.

PeteW

Post by PeteW » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:46 am

Thank you everyone - I'm learning how the forum system works so figured I should just reply rather
than waiting too long, trying to figure out how to quote ppl properly, etc.

I figured the dated writing style and instrument choices would come up, and I agree it's tricky to
write without a brief, cause the old habits creep in.. I'm a 90's kid with classic rock in my veins
so I'm growing out of that tendency, since I'm focused more on indie pop, rock and folk these days.
It's been really interesting to get deep into what makes a song contemporary these days, and I'm
excited to focus on this at the RR classes.

I really appreciate the theme of simplifying the arrangement and examples of other styles this
song could be better suited for. Lots of good food for thought. I'm definitely a student here,
and am thankful to have some constructive ideas to run with.

Also.. my writing partner and I will be sticking to the briefs! It makes a gigantic difference
to have ref tracks to keep us in check.