Find people to work with!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Pop Songwriter

Post by NaeDae » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:00 am

Lipskimusic wrote:
NaeDae wrote:Hey I write pop of all kinds. If anyone wants help with a pop listing, let me know! If you'd like to hear some of what I've written, here's my soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/natesimpson
I really like your song M I N N I E!

Could you tell us a bit more of your setup? Homestudio, DAW etc.?

Cheers,
Matt

I use logic pro x and a RODE NT1000 mic. I mix my own vocals over other producers' beats.

NoizeeBhoy
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by NoizeeBhoy » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:11 am

I have played around with top lining bit. I guess when anyone is writing lyrics there's a natural flow and rhythm within them that helps develop a nascent melody that can then be nuanced and developed for that elusive 'ear worm'. I think I take a similar approach to the one you suggested; the huge caveat is though that I've got no pitch or vocal talent and my range is about 4 pretty terrible sounding notes. Frustrating as hell as when I hear a lyric being sang by Robin Thicke, Bruno Mars or JT in my head as I write it and try to develop the natural melody I can never translate it to a melody in practice because I don't have their range or ability! I do use Imitone though to help be develop it on a piano roll in Mixcraft but for the aforementioned reasons they are still fairly basic. I enjoy laying down beats and messing with bass lines in Mixcraft too - I can get a good rhythm and hook but I totally balls it up when it comes to chords and adding rhythm through that. I guess I've some decent enough individual elements(ie lyrics, top line melody, bass line) but struggle to put them altogether in a coherent fashion. Any tips you'd care to share or any on-line resources you found useful in your development?

Btw if you ever fancy trying to co-write basic lyric and melody hit me up - allI can over is lyrics obvs but I'm pretty decent at thinking of lyrcal hooks :lol:

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

Post by NaeDae » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:24 pm

NoizeeBhoy wrote:I have played around with top lining bit. I guess when anyone is writing lyrics there's a natural flow and rhythm within them that helps develop a nascent melody that can then be nuanced and developed for that elusive 'ear worm'. I think I take a similar approach to the one you suggested; the huge caveat is though that I've got no pitch or vocal talent and my range is about 4 pretty terrible sounding notes. Frustrating as hell as when I hear a lyric being sang by Robin Thicke, Bruno Mars or JT in my head as I write it and try to develop the natural melody I can never translate it to a melody in practice because I don't have their range or ability! I do use Imitone though to help be develop it on a piano roll in Mixcraft but for the aforementioned reasons they are still fairly basic. I enjoy laying down beats and messing with bass lines in Mixcraft too - I can get a good rhythm and hook but I totally balls it up when it comes to chords and adding rhythm through that. I guess I've some decent enough individual elements(ie lyrics, top line melody, bass line) but struggle to put them altogether in a coherent fashion. Any tips you'd care to share or any on-line resources you found useful in your development?

Btw if you ever fancy trying to co-write basic lyric and melody hit me up - allI can over is lyrics obvs but I'm pretty decent at thinking of lyrcal hooks :lol:
Haha sure I'll keep you in mind if I get stumped on something.

I'm not a powerhouse singer, but I've always been able to sing on key with stuff so that's never been something I've had to work around. Can't really help you much there, besides suggesting transcribing the instrumental into your range if you can.

As for producing instrumentals, I tried and was OK but ultimately it took me way too long and I wasn't productive with it. I typically just find people who know what their doing on Youtube and topline over their beats. Check Mantra out (word of warning, though, his licensing agreement is a 50/50 split in revenue if you end up selling past 10,000 copies), or just search youtube for "(artist name) type beat" and go from there.