Pop stars taking credit for songs they didn't write. . .

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

GilOrms

Pop stars taking credit for songs they didn't write. . .

Post by GilOrms » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:14 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56587621

"Some of pop's biggest hitmakers are asking artists to stop taking credit for songs they didn't write.

In an open letter, the writers behind songs like Dua Lipa's New Rules and Ariana Grande's 7 Rings said 'a growing number of artists' were demanding a share of publishing royalties, even if they had contributed nothing to a song.

'These artists will go on to collect revenue from touring, merchandise [and] brand partnerships,' they said, but 'songwriters have only their publishing revenue as a means of income'.

They added that composers were often subjected to 'bully tactics and threats' by artists and executives who wanted to take a share of the songwriting royalties.

The letter was organised by a new advocacy group calling itself The Pact. Signatories included Justin Tranter, Emily Warren, Ross Golan, Amy Allen, Savan Kotecha, Joel Little and Victoria Monét.

Between them, they have created hit records for the likes of Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, One Direction, Michael Bublé, Lorde, Shawn Mendes and Selena Gomez - although the letter was not directed at any specific artists.

'Over time, this practice of artists taking publishing has become normalised; and until now, there has been no real unity within the songwriting community to fight back,' they wrote.

'That is why we have decided to join together, in support of each other, and make a change.'

[...}

"

Regards,

GO

melodymessiah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Pop stars taking credit for songs they didn't write. . .

Post by melodymessiah » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:14 pm

interesting read. but don't expect a lot of feedback on this post in here, members of songwriting communities are not generally very interested in what's going on on the mainstream pop-scene of today :P

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:50 pm

The part of the movement that I find distasteful is when I go to the internet to find out about a song (new or old, doesn't matter) and there is simply no mention of the composer/songwriter anywhere with the content. C'mon, credit where credit is due should be the bedrock of all intellectual endeavor!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:03 pm

Well even as the famous star I am, I don't take credit for songwriting if I didn't contribute. :lol:

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:19 pm

Giving credit where it's due, it would be great to see a list of the hit songs in question, along with the names of who wrote them (and who didn't ... LOL). Seriously, I think if fans of the artists knew about this, they would be less inclined to be fans.

I assume artists might feel entitled, by taking the song to super stardom, the artist might feel they deserve a piece of the action. That raises an interesting question ... Will the song sell better if the artist is listed as a writer? So there might be some justification there .... But still, it feels like this practice devalues the labors of the songwriters.

I'd be interested in the opinions of leading writers like Diane Warren, etc

Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:37 am

I disagree. This is quite relevant to us as composers because music libraries are starting to take credit for songs they didn't write. This is what happens when libraries demand part of the writer's share, and it really stinks.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

GilOrms

Post by GilOrms » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:21 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:50 pm
The part of the movement that I find distasteful is when I go to the internet to find out about a song (new or old, doesn't matter) and there is simply no mention of the composer/songwriter anywhere with the content. C'mon, credit where credit is due should be the bedrock of all intellectual endeavor!
Classic is BTS' "Dynamite" vid.

Even the 'jimmy jib assistants' (whatever they are) get name-checked.
Both of them. Hyun in Kim & Sung Hoon Kim.

I added the writers: Jessica Agombar & David Stewart.

Regards,

GO

GilOrms

Post by GilOrms » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:25 pm

jdstamper wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:19 pm
Giving credit where it's due, it would be great to see a list of the hit songs in question, along with the names of who wrote them (and who didn't ... LOL). Seriously, I think if fans of the artists knew about this, they would be less inclined to be fans.

I assume artists might feel entitled, by taking the song to super stardom, the artist might feel they deserve a piece of the action. That raises an interesting question ... Will the song sell better if the artist is listed as a writer? So there might be some justification there .... But still, it feels like this practice devalues the labors of the songwriters.

I'd be interested in the opinions of leading writers like Diane Warren, etc

Jim
No question, Big Names get the numbers.

But since The Beatles, most fans think performers write
their songs and they might not be such fans if they knew they
didn't.

Regards,

GO