Possible member (reluctant)

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

crabtwins

Re: Possible member (reluctant)

Post by crabtwins » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:37 pm

Hummingbird thanks for all the info.Why am i getting involved if i dont know about music libraries. Well I am researching. I do know what music libraries are now, however I wasnt understanding how taxi fit in to that. What makes me reluctant also is that basically a music library outfit can give me 50$ for a track and then sell it for whatever they want and I would just get my 50$? Im curious also about the fact that once an interested party contacts you taxi is out of the picture. So I negotiate my own deal? Do any of you get managers or how did you learn about that part of the biz and getting the most out of your deal. thanks again.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:07 pm

Quote:Hummingbird thanks for all the info.Why am i getting involved if i dont know about music libraries. Well I am researching. I do know what music libraries are now, however I wasnt understanding how taxi fit in to that. What makes me reluctant also is that basically a music library outfit can give me 50$ for a track and then sell it for whatever they want and I would just get my 50$? Im curious also about the fact that once an interested party contacts you taxi is out of the picture. So I negotiate my own deal? Do any of you get managers or how did you learn about that part of the biz and getting the most out of your deal. thanks again.As I said, what you get from a music library depends on the specific deal you sign for a specific piece of music. A music library is not going sell your song, they are going to licence it, as many times as they can. Whenever they licence it, you will get your share of the publishing/songwriting royalties paid through your PRO. The more they place it, the more money you make. How much money depends on where each placement is made. Whether you get part of the licencing fee will depend on your agreement with the library. If the library does not place your piece within the specified time, all rights revert back to you. Yes, you negotiate your own deal. But I think "negotiate" is probably the wrong word. When you are offered a deal, you get a contract in writing. At that point, you need to go to a qualified entertainment lawyer and get him/her to explain what's in the contract. He/she can also negotiate for you IF necessary. Most libraries and publishers have 'standard deals' and that is typically what they will offer you. Just make sure it has a reversion clause.Matt could probably explain this more - he certainly talked about all of this in the 7 YouTube segments.H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

crabtwins

Post by crabtwins » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:58 am

Hey thanks for all the info. I really appreaciate it.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:20 am

I think the answers to questions you have (which are basic music business questions for the most part) are easily found in the wide variety of music business books out there. TAXI has a list of many good ones with a very conspicuous link on the home page to the list.The basics of the business can be gleaned from the books but the subtelties of individual deals will be best handled between you and the client and maybe an attorney. It's kind of like learning the blues, yeah, it's just 3 chords basically but when you really get in to it, it's much more subtle than that. But you can't start to play the blues until you know the basic form and a few licks to build from. There's lots of helpful folks on the forum willing to help and lots of the things brought up here have been discussed already, I also recommend using the helpful search function on the forum.Best of luck to you, please share some of your music when you get a chance.Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!