With the new libraries, how essential is VSL now?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kevinmathie
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

With the new libraries, how essential is VSL now?

Post by kevinmathie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:11 am

For the past couple years, I've been saving up and purchasing some much-needed new sounds. I even have a list -- my "Synth wish list." On it are things like Omnisphere, Symphobia, Stylus RMX expansion libraries, and Vienna Symphonic Library.Since my forte is orchestral music for film (a la John Williams, Howard Shore, James Horner, etc.), I decided that I'd start off with orchestral libraries before I picked up things like Omnisphere (even though I really, really, really want Omnisphere!).So, I now have EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum, Sample Modeling's "The Trumpet" and all three saxes, etc.Right now, I'm poised to start downloading VSL's Special Edition one group at a time. Next month, I was going to pick up the brass, maybe next month pick up the Epic Horns, etc., until I have the entire Special Edition, plus maybe several other additional VSL instruments and sections.But, I've heard mixed things about their strings, especially in light of some of the new libraries coming out like LA Scoring Strings and EastWest's upcoming Hollywood Strings.So, where is VSL now in the pecking order of sound libraries? Should I get their winds/brass and not their strings? Or is my EWQLSO winds/brass good enough?Thoughts?

didger
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: With the new libraries, how essential is VSL n

Post by didger » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:24 pm

Hey Kevin,I can't fully answer your question as I don't have the LA Scoring Strings yet, but I do love my VSL including the strings. Bryan's singled them out a few times on here. I've recently gotten EWQL, too, and maybe just don't know it well enough yet, but haven't found it nearly as playable. VSL's velocity crossfade is awesome.If you want, you can come check it out! I'm a recent transplant to SLC and work out of my basement in the Avenues. Where are you at?

kevinmathie
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kevinmathie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:57 pm

Aug 20, 2009, 9:24pm, didger wrote:If you want, you can come check it out! I'm a recent transplant to SLC and work out of my basement in the Avenues. Where are you at?Seriously? Cool! I just moved from the Avenues area! Technically, it wasn't the Avenues, but it was really close -- just below 100 South on McClelland St (1040 East). Unfortunately, I moved to West Jordan a month ago. It's not that West Jordan is all that bad, it's just not the Avenues/University area.Anyway, yes, I'd definitely love to check out VSL before I buy. And it'd be great to meet a fellow Taxi-ite face to face. Thanks for the offer! I'll PM you and we'll figure out schedules....Kevin

orest
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by orest » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:23 am

I don't use VSL anymore, it's to hard on the processors and really slow to load, even on my 8core Mac. I use east west gold, miroslav and complete classical collection for my orchestra stuff nowadays. Thinking of buying Lass in a few months or so.

amandawreckinwith

Post by amandawreckinwith » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:21 am

Aug 21, 2009, 5:23am, orest wrote:I don't use VSL anymore, it's to hard on the processors and really slow to load, even on my 8core Mac. I use east west gold, miroslav and complete classical collection for my orchestra stuff nowadays. Thinking of buying Lass in a few months or so. Hi Orest,I also use Miroslav, which has had no excessive drain on processor power. East West Gold, however (the Play version) sputters like a dying motorboat, though the sounds are strong. I have a G5 Dual 2G comp. I only have 2 Gigs of RAM in it and am wondering if you have considerably more RAM. Do you know if more RAM would make much of a difference with EW Gold?Thanks!
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson

orest
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by orest » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:30 pm

I use more RAM, but I also have a faster computer, 8core, 2.8 and I use 8 gig ram and 2, 1 terrabyte hard drives. Yes, Miroslav is easier on the processors, but the sounds are far better in East West in my opinion. VSL is a bit dry, you have to add a lot of reverb to make it sound good. I mainly use East West and add some layers from Miroslav, never any lead stuff. If you are aiming for orchestra stuff, my advice is to invest in a really good computer with tons of ram memory. I will upgrade to 12 or 16 ram before this year is over, it's very expensive though, but I think it's worth it.

watksco
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by watksco » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:13 am

Aug 21, 2009, 2:21pm, amandawreckinwith wrote:Aug 21, 2009, 5:23am, orest wrote:I don't use VSL anymore, it's to hard on the processors and really slow to load, even on my 8core Mac. I use east west gold, miroslav and complete classical collection for my orchestra stuff nowadays. Thinking of buying Lass in a few months or so. Hi Orest,I also use Miroslav, which has had no excessive drain on processor power. East West Gold, however (the Play version) sputters like a dying motorboat, though the sounds are strong. I have a G5 Dual 2G comp. I only have 2 Gigs of RAM in it and am wondering if you have considerably more RAM. Do you know if more RAM would make much of a difference with EW Gold?Thanks!RAM has a big impact on performance for sample based VI's - the more the merrier! Scott
"Art is never finished, just left in interesting places" Van Gogh

http://www.reverbnation.com/wakingeden
http://www.reverbnation.com/scottwatkins

amandawreckinwith

Post by amandawreckinwith » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:33 am

Thanks, guys.G'day, Melbourne!Aug 22, 2009, 2:13pm, watksco wrote:Aug 21, 2009, 2:21pm, amandawreckinwith wrote:Hi Orest,I also use Miroslav, which has had no excessive drain on processor power. East West Gold, however (the Play version) sputters like a dying motorboat, though the sounds are strong. I have a G5 Dual 2G comp. I only have 2 Gigs of RAM in it and am wondering if you have considerably more RAM. Do you know if more RAM would make much of a difference with EW Gold?Thanks!RAM has a big impact on performance for sample based VI's - the more the merrier! Scott
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson