Going portable

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Pinkstar
Impressive
Impressive

Going portable

Post by Pinkstar » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:17 pm

It's all new to me. I'm currently using Nuendo 3 on a PC, it's all set up in my apartment/home studio. I want to get a laptop and the mbox to be able to write on the road. Any using the mbox?Any suggestions what kinda laptop I need to get? ~JVB

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Going portable

Post by arkjack » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:07 pm

If you got the $$, I would go for a macbook and soup it up ... max Ghz on the processor and max RAM. You can run your windows based programs in the virtual mode, but also upgrade to Mac versions of the Steinberg software. I just got a a PreSonus Firebox, and so far it has worked well as the audio interface, but ?I've been having some challenges in the midi side. ArkJack

ginstl
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by ginstl » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:19 pm

For PC checkout Rain Recording laptops. they are made for audio production. I own one and it's very nice.Greg.

slideboardouts
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by slideboardouts » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:22 pm

Why do you want an mbox? Those things have always seemed a little crappy to me. Last I checked mboxes were USB interfaces and you should really shoot for firewire if you can afford it. The Firebox that arkjack mentioned is a pretty good deal and is just as portable as an mbox. I'd take a firebox over an mbox any day of the week.As far as laptops go, my personal preference is mac laptops. I like there design more, backlit keyboard on the pro models, and I like working in OSX better than I do Windows (though there are a few little things about OSX that irk me). A PC will do just as good of a job though. With laptops especially it really is just a matter of which OS you like more: OSX or Windows. Just make sure you get the most powerful one you can afford.-Steve

og
Impressive
Impressive

Post by og » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:37 pm

I have traveled with my E-MU 0404 USB and Dell laptop, and had no problems tracking vocal and guitar. USB 2.0 is plenty fast for that.

Pinkstar
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Pinkstar » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:51 am

I'll look into the pricing. I don't want to spent a whole lot just be able to record while on the road, mainly virtual instruments and some guitar and vocals. Thank you for the advice, I'll look into it.I've been having midi problems with my current set-up; I've been drawing in the notes, lol pain in the butt but, hey when inspiration hits, I just wanne get it done.xoxoJQuote:If you got the $$, I would go for a macbook and soup it up ... max Ghz on the processor and max RAM. You can run your windows based programs in the virtual mode, but also upgrade to Mac versions of the Steinberg software. I just got a a PreSonus Firebox, and so far it has worked well as the audio interface, but ?I've been having some challenges in the midi side. ArkJack

Pinkstar
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Pinkstar » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:54 am

I was told, it's affordable and does the job for what I want to do. Even thought I've been using Nuendo since I started recording I might switch eventually to pro-tools only because everyone I'm working with (almost everyone) has it. I'll look into thr firebox though, now that you guys gave me a better idea of what my options are.Thank you very much for the help!xoxoxoJQuote:Why do you want an mbox? Those things have always seemed a little crappy to me. Last I checked mboxes were USB interfaces and you should really shoot for firewire if you can afford it. The Firebox that arkjack mentioned is a pretty good deal and is just as portable as an mbox. I'd take a firebox over an mbox any day of the week.As far as laptops go, my personal preference is mac laptops. I like there design more, backlit keyboard on the pro models, and I like working in OSX better than I do Windows (though there are a few little things about OSX that irk me). A PC will do just as good of a job though. With laptops especially it really is just a matter of which OS you like more: OSX or Windows. Just make sure you get the most powerful one you can afford.-Steve

Pinkstar
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Pinkstar » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:54 am

Interesting. Do you use lot's of virtual instruments too?Quote:I have traveled with my E-MU 0404 USB and Dell laptop, and had no problems tracking vocal and guitar. USB 2.0 is plenty fast for that.

Pinkstar
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Pinkstar » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:55 am

Thank you Greg I will. Quote:For PC checkout Rain Recording laptops. they are made for audio production. I own one and it's very nice.Greg.

Pinkstar
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Pinkstar » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:56 am

All of you guys, thanks so much for your advice, I truly appreciate that!xoxoJ