Karma Microphones, great and really affordable

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bleuciel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Karma Microphones, great and really affordable

Post by bleuciel » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:37 pm

Here is some information I want to share with all members of Taxi. Through About.Com (home recording) I discovered a new company that makes absolutely fantastic microphones and sell them for incredibly low prices. The company’s name is Karma Audio (www.karmaaudio.com) and offers several models of mics such as a multi-pattern tube microphone (K-58) that they sell for only $300. They also make a condenser ribbon mike and small K-mics, mini-condensers that sell for only $15. Yes, you read right. They also sell these in a 7-mic kit with clips and a good case, the Silver Bullet Drum Pack ($80.00), which is, you guessed it, ideal for miking drums.I bought both the drum pack and the K-58. I must say I was completely staggered by the K-58’s quality: an extraordinary presence and richness in lows, mids and highs. I also own a Neumann M-147 ($3000, ten times more costly). For sound quality, I would say, just to be on the safe side, that the K-58 is up to 99% of the Neumann.Karma has an office in Cupertino, CA. and a plant in Shanghai that manufactures its products exclusively. They don’t try to copy the classic vintage models, rather they aim their research toward developing new products that anyone can afford. And it’s true. I am completely thrilled with their products, and I intend to buy more real soon.And no, I am not an advertising agent for Karma Audio. I’m just a humble but proud member of Taxi who honestly believes these products could be very useful to all Taxi members and help them improve their recordings without cleaning out their bank accounts.Karma Audio Productions 21621 Stevens Creek Blvd.Cupertino, CA. 95014Office: (408) 446.2921Fax: (408) 873.7670sales@karmamics.comJean Custeau/Bleuciel
Jean Custeau / bleuciel@mail.com

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Karma Microphones, great and really affordable

Post by hummingbird » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:11 pm

Since this is your first post here, I wonder what your motivation is for posting a sales pitch on microphones? I'm a skeptic, because I belong to 5 or 6 songwriting boards and I see these kinds of posts all the time. We call them spam. If I'm wrong, then I apologize and look forward to your participation in the forum.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

bleuciel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by bleuciel » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:40 pm

Hi Hummingbird,Like I've told, I'm not an agent for Karma mikes, I'm just a very satisfied client and I want to share my enthusiasm. I can understand that you're skeptic I am too. I don't ask nobody to believe me automatically, just visit their website and you'll see what I mean. It's the way I have known those products and bought mikes that I love. Jean Custeau/Bleuciel

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:56 pm

spam or not... some very interesting products. Has anybody laid ears on any of these?

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:09 pm

Quote:spam or not... some very interesting products. Has anybody laid ears on any of these?My engineer has their ribbon mic. It's been useful for some instruments. Wasn't bad for miking a Fender on an amp and a snare. Not good for vox, though. Had to erase two takes and remic with something else. Jes my 2 cents. Don't know about the rest of the product line tho.

mikegoudreau
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mikegoudreau » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:55 am

Hello friends,I assure everyone that Jean Custeau's NOT a spammer or a salesman for Karma products...He's been in the recording bizz for 30+ years now and he wouldn't post anything about equipment that he doesn't use/believe in himself...I know this because we've worked together on many projects in the past 18 years and he's the real deal... I understand the skepticism about products this cheap ( price-wise )...I was myself too, but the proof is in the pudding...He also recently bought a " Vintech " tube preamp ( really impressive !! ) ....Much cheaper than Avalon or Neve...And also a great product for the price...For us "self-produced " folks these products are a god send....Isn't technology wonderful !! It permits us to put out stuff that sounds sometimes as good as the " big boys " !! If you wish to hear some of Jean's work check out my website and click on "music" ...He worked with me ( as an engineer ) on the albums :" Stardust Memories", "Nous avions rendez-vous", "Thank You Louis !" and most recently "Boppin 15"...That'll give you some idea. P.S. He also has signed a deal for 4 songs ( compositions in the world genre ) in which I played guitar and bass and mixed for him for TV/Film with a California based company....My website address is below these comments, if you wish to listen.Cheers, Mike Goudreau

bleuciel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by bleuciel » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:22 am

Thanks a lot Mike for your comment. I should say that when I posted my first message in the forum about Karma mikes last Sunday, I was really hurt to get that reply from Hummingbird just few minutes after… It’s the best way to kill anyone’s enthusiasm, even with conditional apologies. When somebody slams a door on your fingers, even if that person apologizes afterwards, you still have wrecked fingers. I posted that message with all the innocence and naïveté I can have; even though I am an old boy in the business, I still work with the spirit and sense of wonderment of a child!Like probably many members of Taxi, I have to work with a really tight budget and I honestly thought that information could be useful, especially for the tube microphone that I talked about (Karma K-58) that you can buy for $300, all the more after realizing that the lowest-priced tube microphone I could find was the Audio-Technica AT-4060, an excellent mike, but it retails for about $1300. (I hope nobody will say that I spam for Audio-Technica this time!)Thanks again Mike.Jean Custeau / bleuciel@mail.com

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:37 am

Jean,You'll find Hummingbird (Vikki) to be one of the kindest souls on the planet. Around here, most first time posters who are pushing a product are spammers - so don't take the question personal. It's great to know you are not, and I look forward to more of your input 'round here.Aub

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:46 am

Quote:Jean,You'll find Hummingbird (Vikki) to be one of the kindest souls on the planet. Around here, most first time posters who are pushing a product are spammers - so don't take the question personal. It's great to know you are not, and I look forward to more of your input 'round here.AubThanks, Aub. You said that MUCH more diplomatically than I was just about to. Don't forget, Jean, that these boards are NOT limited to TAXI members, and in the 3+ years Vikki's been active on these forums, you can bet she's seen enough posts from salesmen who vanish after their initial pitches that she had every right to be skeptical.I'd bet even Vikki will be glad to find out she was wrong. And with a musical track record like yours, all of us will be glad to have you around. Welcome to the boards.Just my $.02 (U.S.) worth. (BTW, how much is that these days in Canadian? )Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

bleuciel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by bleuciel » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:31 am

Thanks a lot Aub and Ted! I feel a little bit more welcomed on the forum. Now the 2 cents is about .021111 , it's an improvement and I remember a time when the canadian dollar has a value of 65 US cents.Jean Custeau