Building a studio computer

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Building a studio computer

Post by edteja » Mon May 21, 2007 1:51 am

A screwdriver applied judicious to the recalicitrant box does the trick, man. Takes a while, but it is rasl satisfying, and the more pieces you have on the floor when you are done, the better job it is. Make it a project for a slow weekend and savor it. Then you can through away the tape, since you have the DVD!!
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Mon May 21, 2007 6:14 am

A hammer applied liberally to the VCR machine itself, would be my suggestion. Dropping it from 3 stories onto flat concrete is sure to dilsodge that nasty tape. Popping a few big-ass lit firecrackers into that slot while with the vcr tape is still wedged in should also work fine to help remove it, but you maybe ought to do that outside.

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Mon May 21, 2007 9:08 am

Quote:Quote:A hammer applied liberally to the VCR machine itself, would be my suggestion. Dropping it from 3 stories onto flat concrete is sure to dilsodge that nasty tape. Popping a few big-ass lit firecrackers into that slot while with the vcr tape is still wedged in should also work fine to help remove it, but you maybe ought to do that outside. Thanks Steve, All your suggestions sound great and I'm sure one or two should get the job done. Also... I completely agree that outside would the Ideal place to make my attempts as I don't seem to have a 3 story drop anywhere inside my home.Cheers, RanOh yeah, P.S. I seem to have a wild shakabrah thing-y stuck in me bumm , sideways. Any suggestions?call him! he backs off when you're nice to him.

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Mon May 21, 2007 9:32 am

I still would think about the screwdriver approach vis a vis a hammer. It takes longer, allowing you to savor the extraction.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

normbowler

Post by normbowler » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:15 pm

My 2 cents --I just built a computer from the ground up specifically to run pro tools. Here's what it has:Intel Core Duo 2.4Ghz CPU (2 CPUs on one chip)2GB Memory2 x 400GB internal hard drives (3Gb/sec SATA)250 + 160GB external hard drives, USB 2.0 (ATA100 7200rpm)1.2TB total storageAsus Dual layer DVDRWNvidia 7600 video 256MBDual monitors, 19" widescreen and 17" standardThe high points --* hot cpu. pro tools needs lots of cycles to run plugins and software instruments* 2 gb memory for same reaosn as hto cpu.* DUAL MONITORS. OMG. O. M. G. It is so nice to have mix and edit windows open at the same time now.* DUAL HD. one runs the operating system and pro tools software. All the audio goes ont he the other drive. each drive has an independent data channel to the puter, so software + audio data never competes.Best of luck with your new machine!nb

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:07 am

New day, new problem. Does anyone recognize and know the fix for this one?The other day, I was putting an artist's album onto his external hard drive to take to another studio for post-production. I also had to hook up an external hard drive from my old studio.My computer had trouble reading one of the drives. So I tried various things including changing around USB plugs and restarting. We were using up too much time so we just hooked the drives up to a laptop and transferred files easily. No problem, right?Wrong! After all this plugging activity, I put it all back the way it was. That's when the real trouble started...The computer will no longer boot up. Before Windows opens it displays a message: "A Disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart."It won't go past the message unless restarted, which loops us back to the message. Anyone know what's going on here and how to fix it? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Nomi

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:42 am

Does it boot all right if you unplug the drive again?

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:42 pm

Quote:Does it boot all right if you unplug the drive again?Unplugging my external drives makes no difference

booker
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by booker » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:11 pm

You don't have anything in any of the drives... ie ..a floppy...a cd..... anything?

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:41 pm

Quote:You don't have anything in any of the drives... ie ..a floppy...a cd..... anything?Nope