EWQLSO Questions

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

amos
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

EWQLSO Questions

Post by amos » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:45 am

Hi, I just recently purchased the Ewqlso Gold version of which has been talked about alot in this forum. My problem is that I don't have any technical know how. I've been using Reason for the last couple of months but I've been told from ALOT of reviewers that my stuff is sounding too MIDI. So I figured I would give this software a try. The problem is I don't know how to use it. I assumed that it had a built in recorder or something. I don't think it will work with Reason either. So do I have to now buy some top of the line Sequencer to record my ideas? Any help would be appreciated.thanksAmos

zircon
Impressive
Impressive

Re: EWQLSO Questions

Post by zircon » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:43 am

You are correct that you can't use it with Reason... you can't use ANY plugins with Reason, as a matter of fact.However you don't need to splurge on new software just to get something that will work with QLSO. Any sequencer that has VST support and can sequence MIDI data will do just fine. Here are some possibilities that are inexpensive:* Mackie Tracktion 3 (Project Pack) - $100* Image Line FLStudio 7 (Fruityloops ed) - $100* REAPER - http://www.cockos.com/reaper/ - $40-200 depending on license* energyXT - 39 euro* Older versions of Cakewalk Home Studio, Cubase, and/or SonarOnce you have one of these and read the instruction manual on loading VST plugins and writing MIDI notes you should be good to go.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:47 am

You'll need some kind of software that can host EWQLSO as a plug in. It can run in stand alone mode but that's not as useful unless you're running a slave computer.Unfortunately, Reason does not host plug ins so you'll need to get something. Depending on what platform you are on, you can sometimes get LE versions of popular software but make sure it supports ReWire so you can run Reason as a slave. What platform are you on, Mac or PC? Knowing that would allow us to possibly recommend some software.Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:50 am

Hey Mazz,I'm actually interested in this software as well. I use a Mac with Logic 7. Will the EWQLSO run in logic as a plug-in, or will I need the Kontact sample player as well?steve

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:05 am

Quote:Hi, I just recently purchased the Ewqlso Gold version of which has been talked about alot in this forum. My problem is that I don't have any technical know how. I've been using Reason for the last couple of months but I've been told from ALOT of reviewers that my stuff is sounding too MIDI. So I figured I would give this software a try. The problem is I don't know how to use it. I assumed that it had a built in recorder or something. I don't think it will work with Reason either. So do I have to now buy some top of the line Sequencer to record my ideas? Any help would be appreciated.thanksAmosHey Amos,You're following pretty much the EXACT same path as me when I first came to Taxi a few years ago. I started with Reason and quickly saw that although Reason is a HECK of a package for anything synthesized (Electronica, New Age, etc), that when it came to the more realistic orchestral stuff that it really wasn't designed for that.Well there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Reason is a self-contained program and therefore you can't use Gold (or any other third-party software) in the Reason program. Also, Gold is just an "instrument" and like many other virtual software instruments , it needs a sequencer to open, play, and record this instrument (or rather collection of instruments).The good news is that for purposes of making headway in a very competitive music industry, you're headed in the right direction. Also, the good news is that Reason, for me at least, continues to be very useful and although you can't bring anything new into Reason, you can go the other way around and bring Reason (in its entirety) into other sequencers, just like any other virtual instrument.The details of all this are beyond the scope of what I can write about here. Basically I use Sonar as my primary sequencer and that's where all of my virtual instruments (including Gold and Reason) are opened, played, recorded, etc. It's certainly another expense, but once you have something like Sonar, you have an indispensible foundation to build on and pretty much go anywhere you want. So you'll have to look into getting something like Sonar (which includes the packages that Zircon mentioned) in order to use any virtual instrument (like Gold) and also to incorporate Reason in there as well. HTH,Dave

amos
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by amos » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:10 pm

Wow.Thanks so much everybody!I really appreciate this forum, everybody is extremely helpful and doesn't "keep it close to their vests" as my grandfather always said.I will check out your suggestions. I'm on a PC and for the time being that's what I'll be using for awhile.thanks again

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:22 pm

Quote:Hey Mazz,I'm actually interested in this software as well. I use a Mac with Logic 7. Will the EWQLSO run in logic as a plug-in, or will I need the Kontact sample player as well?steveI'm almost certain it will run in Logic. It already uses the Kontakt player although the new version using East West's new Play plug in should be out sometime this month or next www.soundsonline.comIf you have an Intel Mac, for the time being I believe you'll have to get the full version of Kontakt which is a good investment overall but of course, you have to spend more money The Kontakt player which comes with EWQL won't work on Intel Macs as I've heard. I don't know if the group buy for gold is still going but if it is, I'd get it and then you'll get Play automatically when it comes out. The price was really low for a couple of months there. Go to the website to check, I haven't been there in a while. They're tempting me with their new libraires and I've got to stop buying gear for a while, got to stop buying gear for a while, got to stop buying gear for a while..............
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:13 am

Quote:Hi, I just recently purchased the Ewqlso Gold version of which has been talked about alot in this forum. My problem is that I don't have any technical know how. I've been using Reason for the last couple of months but I've been told from ALOT of reviewers that my stuff is sounding too MIDI. So I figured I would give this software a try. The problem is I don't know how to use it. I assumed that it had a built in recorder or something. I don't think it will work with Reason either. So do I have to now buy some top of the line Sequencer to record my ideas? Any help would be appreciated.thanksAmosWhat soundcard/audio interface are you using? It might've shipped with a basic version of Cubase, Sonar, or Traktion; many do. So the first thing to do would be to check the software disc that came with your interface.

amos
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by amos » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:41 am

Hey Matto, I'm such a noob that I really don't know what you mean by soundcard/interface. If you mean like ASIO(?) I'm pretty sure I'm using that. I double checked the discs that were sent to me and there's nothing on them except the GOLD stuff.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:07 am

Quote:I double checked the discs that were sent to me and there's nothing on them except the GOLD stuff.No...nothing to do with Gold...I meant how are you listening to the sound coming from your computer? Or record sound into it?Most people who use a computer for music buy a dedicated "interface" to get sound into/out of the computer. This typically connects to your computer via USB or Firewire, or comes with a card you install in your computer.But I guess since you don't know about interfaces you're probably just using the bulit in audio that came with your computer...in which case you wouldn't have any of the bundeled software I mentioned...