Mastering songs

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Mastering songs

Post by andreh » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:23 pm

Here's a link to a timely thread about ears vs. meters:http://www.gearslutz.com/board/masterin ... eters.html
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

hephaluemp

Post by hephaluemp » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:47 pm

Quote:Here's a link to a timely thread about ears vs. meters:http://www.gearslutz.com/board/masterin ... s.htmlThat reminds me of my car-driving - I never use the speedometer when I drive - I just drive kind of like suitable to the terrain and to where I am.If in doubt, I look at the other cars.How did I get there?Well, some years ago I had a car where the speedometer stopped working, and I didn't fix it for almost a year.During that period I learned how to drive without looking at the speedometer - a bit scary in the beginning - but now I don't use it in any cars I drive, I just don't use it anymore! (well - almost never )So, if anyone ask how fast I drive, and if I follow the speed-signs, I just say, - just feel the speed and drive according to your surroundings. This can of course also be used in the audio-world.If anyone ask a question about recording, tracing, mixing or mastering, the standard answer would be to them all:Just use your ears and turn those knobs till it sounds good!! Hepha Luemp
- just call me Hepha

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:15 pm

Quote:Can you post a before/after sample along with your compressor settings for us to listen to?Unfortunately, no. I am still on phone line and everytime I have tried to upload something to a MySpace page I set up, it times out. The other thing is, I would have to have "before and after" samples lying around, which I don't because I only keep the best I am able to produce. I have copies of mixes that have been supplanted by better ones, but I would have no idea of the settings. I don't write them down but just go by ear each time.With my present computer gear and setup it does not seem possible to upload even MP3's to MySpace.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:50 am

Quote:Here's a link to a timely thread about ears vs. meters:http://www.gearslutz.com/board/masterin ... htmlThanks Andre, that's very interesting!Re: "Fish Finder" ---- This may seem an odd parallel, but I'm a pretty good fisherman, and a few years ago bought a fish finder to use up at our family cabin in Minnesota. After a few weeks of staring at the damn computer screen, I had to admit to myself that I was catching LESS fish than I normally would.The reason? Like mixing/mastering, a good fisherman relies on INSTINCT. You need to sense the water flow, the wind, how the bait may bump off the bottom now and then, if it's rocky and deep or getting shallow and weedy.My fish finder is now on the shelf. Ern

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:23 pm

It was a very interesting link Andre. Thanks. But dang you, you hooked me on another forum. I was trying to quit.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

og
Impressive
Impressive

Post by og » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:02 pm

I can quit anytime I want--just one peek won't hurt....

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:59 pm

Quote:It was a very interesting link Andre. Thanks. But dang you, you hooked me on another forum. I was trying to quit. I feel your pain...my laptop is my mistress, and she keeps me up all night. The gearslutz.com folks are a lot cockier than this crowd, so be prepared for far fewer smiley's than you see around here...but you'll learn a LOT about production there (even though just about every suggestion is countered with an opposing one...maybe it's not so different after all). Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.