setting up a new system

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

setting up a new system

Post by edteja » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:27 am

For those of you that have systems with a system hard drive and a "music" hard drive... when you install, the DAW I assume you put the program on the system drive..do soft synths go on the music drive? And what about libraries such as GPO? Clearly the project files go on the music drive (?). Any other clever tricks one should now about dividing up all the "stuff"?
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: setting up a new system

Post by ernstinen » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:27 pm

Quote:For those of you that have systems with a system hard drive and a "music" hard drive... when you install, the DAW I assume you put the program on the system drive..do soft synths go on the music drive? And what about libraries such as GPO? Clearly the project files go on the music drive (?). Any other clever tricks one should now about dividing up all the "stuff"?Hey Ed!When I had a GigaPC set up for me recently, I had a second hard drive installed for sounds. The way they explained it to me was:C drive = OS and GigaD drive = Partition drive (I don't understand that, sorry)E drive = Samples and Performances (project files)Maybe someone more computer-savvy can explain this better! My other (super-duper) Kontakt computer is from VisionDAW.You can check out how they do it at:http://www.visiondaw.comErn

zink
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zink » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:51 pm

Hey Ed,You can put your softsynths on your system drive. but if possible, you should put your sample libraries on a different drive (On your audio drive or on a sample drive if you have a lot of libraries). As for project files, I keep them on my audio drive. It's just easier that way.z

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:37 pm

Thanks guys. That helps clear things up. The system won't be here for a while, so I can think this all through a bit. And Ern, I acutally do understand the d: partition (it is physically part of the C: drive, but a different drive logically). Step by step...
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin