Samples! [the good ones]

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Samples! [the good ones]

Post by mazz » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:49 am

Quote:Quote:I just picked up East West Symphonic Choir for $75.Chances that that's a legitimate copy are quite small; it would seem to be either outright piracy or a clueless seller who doesn't realize what the product is worth and that it can't legally be resold. Either way you're in extremely dangerous territory...stay away from illegitimate software at any cost!!Matto's right: if you use pirated samples for music that gets played on TV/film, the publishers have the right to come after you (if they recognize their sounds, and they might, they made them). Also, as far as Symphonic Choirs go, there are semi-frequent updates and tech support that is only available with a legitimate password. Tread lightly.
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

shawnstonesifer

Post by shawnstonesifer » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:42 am

I managed to reverse the transaction the same day as my last post, coming across some more concrete suspicion. Today I got an email confirming that the distributor had no product at all and no intention of shipping anything, so I'm safe, but barely.Does anyone know a way to get Roland format samples onto my mac?

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:59 am

Good move.Most current "major" softsamplers can import Roland S Series samples, the only one I'm not sure about (as I've never used it) is Apple's own EXS.And of course there is software such as Chicken Systems "Translator".How well the import works depends on several factors including the complexity of programming present in the source programs.

zircon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zircon » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:33 am

Unfortunately EXS24 doesn't support Roland. According to Apple the only supported formats are Akai, Gigasampler (my guess is versions 1 and 2, not 3), SampleCell II, Soundfont, and REX (not REX2). So, compared to other samplers it is pretty limited. Kontakt and Halion (both available for Mac) support direct import of Roland samples.However as matto noted you can always use Chicken Systems Translator. There is also the CDXtract 4 software which has a similar function (I use this one myself) and does support conversion from Roland formats. I've used it to convert several older Quantum Leap libraries as well as some Spectrasonics stuff... everything sounded fine.

shawnstonesifer

Post by shawnstonesifer » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:27 am

That sounds good. This question may be more elementary- When I put the Roland format libraries in the Mac, the computer just said"I can't read that at all" and didn't recognize it. Even if I had the translator, would that cause my mac to recognize the CD?

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:02 am

Quote:That sounds good. This question may be more elementary- When I put the Roland format libraries in the Mac, the computer just said"I can't read that at all" and didn't recognize it. Even if I had the translator, would that cause my mac to recognize the CD? yes that should be the case - you start your software, put the cd in and then you should see the partitions in your software.
production, composition & stringed instruments

zircon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zircon » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:01 am

Yep. It's the same for Windows-based computers as well, I might add. Akai/Roland discs get read weird unless you have the proper software.

shawnstonesifer

Post by shawnstonesifer » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:14 am

So I got CDxtract and I find myself still confused as to how to import the samples. It's an unfortunate situation to be installing file conversions as my first 3rd party plugin for logic. I'll work it out though. Thanks.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:49 pm

Quote:That sounds good. This question may be more elementary- When I put the Roland format libraries in the Mac, the computer just said"I can't read that at all" and didn't recognize it. Even if I had the translator, would that cause my mac to recognize the CD? The answer is yes. For instance, I have both CD xtract and Kontakt 2. For either one you need to have the application running first. Then insert the sample disc. When the Mac message comes up, just click ignore and then convert from within the application. It's probably pretty much the same with Translator.Good luck.
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!