What Keyboard_?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

brindabella
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

What Keyboard_?

Post by brindabella » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:38 am

Hi guys! I'm a newbie at this board and I'm so confused now I hope you can help me. I'm mainly a pianist composing instrumentals. Have won a few small awards for them at Song of the year Contest and had one of my songs forwarded ( no answer yet) at a music library. Song of the Year judges the quality of the writing, not the sound. When I had been rejected by Taxi, my screeners have told me its because of the sound,and they were right. One even told me to just leave only the piano and delete the strings.All I have done was done on a Yamaha DGX 505 keyboard and the puter ( very cheesy, I know). I'm trying to improve my sounds and want to buy a synth. I`m mainly interested in been able to get a decent orchestral sound.What synth. do you guys think I should buy? I won`t record live or use a band, mainly I would use a keyboard. You can hear the kind of music I do at www.broadjam.com/laurasanzThanks!
"The crucial thing in life is not to repeat oneself." Antonio Stradivari.

http://www.Reverbnation.com/laurasanz

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: What Keyboard_?

Post by davewalton » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:04 am

Hi Laura,I've become a believer in virtual instruments, a generic description for software-based instruments that reside inside of your computer that you play using just about any midi keyboard.Outboard gear can be quite expensive - thousands of dollars for a single keyboard. For way less than that you can purchase a whole collection of various virtual instruments - full orchestral, piano, synths, etc.If you've never explored this, the concept can be a little wierd to imagine. In Miami you shouldn't have any problem finding a music store to demo this. Generally you'll need a keyboard, a computer, a software-based sequencer (like Sonar or Cubase) and some virtual instruments that you play and record with your keyboard through your sequencer.Once you're past the cost of your computer, keyboard, and sequencer, the cost of the virtual instruments is pretty minimal. For example, www.soundsonline.com currently is running a 50% off sale until the end of the year. Their "Silver" orchestral package is $195 and it includes all the orchestra sections plus basic choirs and a decent piano. It's an entry level package that does a good job and since they give 100% credit for upgrading it's kind of a no-lose situation if you decide to upgrade to their Gold or Platinum packages.That's the general scoop. Hunt down a decent music store in your area and ask them about virtual instruments. For keyboard-based composers (of which there are quite a few on this board) I think it's really the only way to go.Dave

pogodog
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by pogodog » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:07 am

Hello Brindabella, I would suggest reading up on midi - learn what it is and is not. The Internet is chock-full of info concerning midi's ins and outs ... read as much as you can stomach. Also I'm sure you'll find your way to the perfect vsynth if you follow Dave Walton's path to www.soundsonline.com - but don't forget to link around and visit the manufacture websites for more in depth info on their products ) but here again learn, learn, learn the basics , because education early on is so important ... The more you know the easier it will be to commit to your decision Also and before i forget, i have a gut hunch - from what I've read about your concerns with the orchestral sound quality in your recordings ( STRINGS ) you might find these programs useful ... such as Finale 2007 (http://www.finalemusic.com) and or Notion ( http://www.notionmusic.com) These are programs created for the composer who wants to manipulate and or improve the content sound quality of their arrangements... and not so much for the person trying to create/sequence midi events thru vsti's.That should be enough to keep you from sleep 'till Xmas Cheers RanG

augustheat
Impressive
Impressive

Post by augustheat » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:24 pm

I agree with Dave on the software instruments...However, there are times when I also want something with great sounds, yet still be able to use it as a MIDI controller. I just picked up the Korg X-50, which was on display at the Rally. It weighs about 10 pounds and can be had for a lot less than retail cost. It has all of the Triton sounds. The pianos, strings, orchestral sounds, etc., are fantastic. Also can run via software or as a plug-in on sonar, Cubase, Logic, and PT...Blessings,
Craig Larson
August Heat Productions
Apple Valley, MN

brindabella
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by brindabella » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:29 am

TY Guys! I still dont know what to do, but my inclination is for a real keyboard. I guess once a pianist, always a pianist. I tried and dl a soft synth, but for the life of me, couldn[t figure it out. Been looking into the korgs and I see everybody says they have a great sound, and that I can buy more sounds for it. Another stupid question: can I hook up the keyboard to the sound card, or I need a Daw and Dat and all that stuff? As you can see, Im not very smart technically. The program I`m using is wavelab.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:43 am

Quote:TY Guys! I still dont know what to do, but my inclination is for a real keyboard. I guess once a pianist, always a pianist. I tried and dl a soft synth, but for the life of me, couldn[t figure it out. Been looking into the korgs and I see everybody says they have a great sound, and that I can buy more sounds for it. Another stupid question: can I hook up the keyboard to the sound card, or I need a Daw and Dat and all that stuff? As you can see, Im not very smart technically. The program I`m using is wavelab.This is where you'll really need to check things out at a music store, to really see for yourself. For example, I use soft synths exclusively because of their superior sounds and realism, but I play them by using a full 88-note weighted action keyboard. It's the best of both worlds and you don't have to give up one thing for the other. Explaining everything in words would take a 500-page dissertation. It's one of those things that you really have to see to get the picture of how everything is set up.

pogodog
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by pogodog » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:04 pm

Once again, I Ditto Dave... :) Happy ventures,RanG

zink
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zink » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:24 pm

Hey Laura,Since you can actually play, I would humbly suggest getting a good instrument to input your midi. Nothing can take the place of a good steinway, but the Yamaha clavanovas are as close as your gonna get. They're pricey, but it worth it in my opinion. Then, you'll be all you need is a few softsynths (as was stated above) and you'll be good to go, and you'll have a nice subtle instrument to input your midi.Wavelab is more of a mastering program than DAW (digital audio workstation). You'll gonna want to get something that can sequence midi, such as Cakewalk. A soundcard handles audio...recording, playback etc. A midicard will let you sequence what you play. Midi data just tells your keyboard what notes to play and when, then you can go back, fix up any mistakes (bum notes...) and record. Sorry for the rambling. I need some sleep. I'll finish this 2moroZ

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by arkjack » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:13 am

You need to be careful in selecting a keyboard. As has been said, do your research, and since you are a pianist and keyboard player, you are going to want a full size 88 key weighted action MIDI controller that will capture your talent. The one thing I would point out, is that I ahve seen really great classically trained pianists wear out a keyboard in no time flat because of the way they are trained to play and "lean" on the keys. The weighted action boards vary in quality if you are playing at that level. HTerefore, you need to research the options that have robustness for the way you play, if you tend to play hard. Also, don't go cheap. Since you are a keyboard player, invest in a "toy" that you'll enjoy playing for years and will allow you to grow in your talent. I always had this philosophy with guitars. Everyone should have at least one high end instrument for the primary.Hope that helps.Best regards, ArkJack

brindabella
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by brindabella » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:44 pm

Thank you again, and keep rambling, ha ha! I'm gonna follow all advices! I`m reading and in a few days will go to a music store ( waiting for money) but I agree that I need an 88 key that I could "feed" sounds . Sturdy too, since yes, I could "burn down" a few keys. If anyone wants to "ramble" about wavelab vs...whatever, please, please do