What Keyboard_?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: What Keyboard_?

Post by davewalton » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:37 am

Quote:So Dave, while we are on the subject. Do you know of a workaround for having a wonderful keyboard that talks midi and USB (it's a Korg concert piano) but has no pitch or velocity wheel? How can I do midi controls (or can I)? I would like to be able to use keyswitch functions in the instruments, but that seems to require cloning the keyboard and assigning the keys other midid functions.I would think that if you don't have pitch and mod wheels that you'd have to do those manually inside of your DAW (i.e. drawing the curves by hand and assigning them to the appropriate control change numbers - i.e. CC1 for the mod wheel) .

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:50 am

Quote:Wow Dave! You are beginning to convince me! Nice price! I looked at the back pannel and it has both midi and usb ports, but the question remains the same: how do you hook it up to the 2496?That's easy. You'd get a standard midi cable and run from the midi out on the keyboard to the midi in on your soundcard. The 2496 has a bunch of midi connections all dangling together and they're not well marked. However, they are marked (you have to have good light and good eyes ) so you should be able to find the midi in.From there it's just a matter of having your DAW (like Sonar or Cubase) configured so that it receives the info from your keyboard through your soundcard. It really helps to have someone local help with that because there's a little bit of work and a few tricks to get everything working properly.

brindabella
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by brindabella » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:50 am

DUH! Of course. I was thinking of the Korg, in which the midi's in/out are USB. And speaking of DAW, which one do you recommend, Sonar or Cubase?
"The crucial thing in life is not to repeat oneself." Antonio Stradivari.

http://www.Reverbnation.com/laurasanz

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:38 am

Quote:DUH! Of course. I was thinking of the Korg, in which the midi's in/out are USB. And speaking of DAW, which one do you recommend, Sonar or Cubase?They're both top-notch pro gear. I use Sonar, Matto uses Cubase if I remember correctly. It's kind of like comparing Audi with Volvo... both are excellent automobiles, Audi owners will say "Audi" and Volvo owners will say "Volvo".

brindabella
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by brindabella » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:33 pm

Ok, I`m back with another geeky question Is there a "Y" connector or something like that for USb ports?What I want to do is: I want to connect both keyboards to the PC using the same port. No, I won't use them both at the same time. What I need is: have both connected but be able to just turn them on and off without having to plug and unplug.Of course I have other ports but they are at the front of the puter and I want to use the USB port at the back. The reason is simple: my dogs have unplug things many times with their tails
"The crucial thing in life is not to repeat oneself." Antonio Stradivari.

http://www.Reverbnation.com/laurasanz

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:58 pm

Quote:Ok, I`m back with another geeky question Is there a "Y" connector or something like that for USb ports?What I want to do is: I want to connect both keyboards to the PC using the same port. No, I won't use them both at the same time. What I need is: have both connected but be able to just turn them on and off without having to plug and unplug.Of course I have other ports but they are at the front of the puter and I want to use the USB port at the back. The reason is simple: my dogs have unplug things many times with their tails Yes, it's called a USB hub and you can buy it at any computer hardware retail store like Best Buy, Comp USA, Radio Shack, etc. The hub connects multiple USB devices to a single USB port on your PC. And you CAN use them at the same time if you want to. It's best to get an "active" hub as opposed to a "passive" one--- that means it gets power from an AC wall adapter, not just from the PC it's connected to.If you need help, we can pick one out together on-line... Just PM me...RegardsCasey