Dance Remixes/Fees/Deals

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

disco

Dance Remixes/Fees/Deals

Post by disco » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:04 pm

Hi, I just joined Taxi a couple of weeks ago and was hoping to get some advice...I have written some cool rock/electronica songs with a friend and we are starting to get some interest from djs about remixing the songs. A well known local dj said that he'd like to do a remix on spec in exchange for 1/2 the profits on anything it generates. He knows many of the "top" djs and says he could get them to spin the song (and that we would sort of be compensating him for his connections). His "take" feels kind of high to me...My question is: Is this a reasonable or typical split (or is there such a thing?). (My friend and I built this one song over the course of an entire year or so and have been told it's a potential "hit"). Also, what fee should I expect to pay if I wanted to just hire a dj to do a remix? Is there a book that has a sample contract? I'd love to hear about anyone's experiences either doing remixes or hiring remixers as this is all new to me. Thanks (p.s. I'll probably post this in other areas as well since I'm not sure where to categorize the post)... D