Cubase + Vsti's + midi Controller

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

pogodog
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Cubase + Vsti's + midi Controller

Post by pogodog » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:32 am

Can anyone suggest a midi controller tutorial ( video, app. or book ) I am completely new to recording and production , with a tad of sequencing and notation/composition under my belt... but my personal knowledge ends there . Please, if anyone is able to suggest ( ANY ) resources about midi controllers in general - or just want to throw tomato's at me , i think either will help me move forward. Here are my basic hard and software specs : keystation 49e (entry level, i know, but it's all i could afford to learn on ) came along with 2 pages one something they call advance functions In six different languages ... funny thing is the all read the same to me. My cubase tut's already assume i know how to use one as does my GPO jazz, and other various vst plug-ins. My comp is production ready (external asio audio, 2gb ram, 300 gb memory plenty of self powered usb port via external self powered hub ) so i have the gadgets ready and willing But , aside from setting up my software midi ins and outs... I'm completely in the dark. So newbic, I'm not even sure what questions to ask.I am thankful in advance,RanG

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Cubase + Vsti's + midi Controller

Post by aubreyz » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:25 pm

Quote:Can anyone suggest a midi controller tutorial ( video, app. or book ) I am completely new to recording and production , with a tad of sequencing and notation/composition under my belt... but my personal knowledge ends there . Please, if anyone is able to suggest ( ANY ) resources about midi controllers in general - or just want to throw tomato's at me , i think either will help me move forward. Here are my basic hard and software specs : keystation 49e (entry level, i know, but it's all i could afford to learn on ) came along with 2 pages one something they call advance functions In six different languages ... funny thing is the all read the same to me. My cubase tut's already assume i know how to use one as does my GPO jazz, and other various vst plug-ins. My comp is production ready (external asio audio, 2gb ram, 300 gb memory plenty of self powered usb port via external self powered hub ) so i have the gadgets ready and willing But , aside from setting up my software midi ins and outs... I'm completely in the dark. So newbic, I'm not even sure what questions to ask.I am thankful in advance,RanG The key to understanding midi controllers is understanding midi in general. Once you know why and how midi works, any controller is easier to understand and use. They all pretty much do the same things - some do more or less but a controller is a controller.You might ask some specific questions and be able to get helpful feedback.Aub

og
Impressive
Impressive

Post by og » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:09 pm

HEy RanG, is your 49e new or a refurb from MF? I have one that doesn't work--won't show up as a midi device anywhere. And this is after I went thru tech and got a replacement unit! Same s**t!

pogodog
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by pogodog » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:07 pm

Thanks Aub. I guess i gotta get myself into a problem situation and as you said have something specific to ask.Thanks for the replyRanG

pogodog
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by pogodog » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:27 pm

Quote:HEy RanG, is your 49e new or a refurb from MF? I have one that doesn't work--won't show up as a midi device anywhere. And this is after I went thru tech and got a replacement unit! Same s**t!Its a new purchase from M-audio. If your midi controller or other device isn't listed then just choose the available GM for general midi device. There is a way to get/find the keystation Device definition script and somehow , not that knowledgeable yet, add it to the Cubase device folder. Like i said choosing GM device has been working for me so far. I know that m-audio.com has a FAQ - tech support response with step by step flash animations ... addressing this device recognition problem. RanG