A Distant Last

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: A Distant Last

Post by davewalton » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:45 am

Quote:Does anyone know the name of the strange sounding instrument Stevie Wonder used on the song You And I? Was it a theremin? Does anyone know how to get that sound?I just listened to a sample clip on iTunes. From what I heard, any synthesizer (hardware or virtual) could do that sound. Just a basic tone with a little portamento (to get that sliding sound).

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:10 pm

<I just listened to a sample clip on iTunes. From what I heard, any synthesizer (hardware or virtual) could do that sound. Just a basic tone with a little portamento (to get that sliding sound).>Interesting, Dave. I hope you are right. I have not found that sound yet on my GR-33, but it may be there. It does not have a bassoon either. I was able to get a very good substitute by combining a shanai and a mizmar.What I did find, though, was that glassy sound like the Atmosphere has. I see a lot of patches are dedicated to variations of that on the atmosphere. I have only found one patch on the GR-33 that does it. But that one patch seems very versatile.Perhaps someone will be so kind as to post a link here to the sound of a theremin. I know what it is now but have not yet heard one.

roughly
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by roughly » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:42 am

Ooh, the theremin. What a fun sounding instrument! A quick search on Google brought up these pages. http://www.thereminworld.com/sounds.asp and http://www.thereminvox.com/tvoxlib/27. And it looks like there's even a theremin podcast http://spellbound.purplenote.com/Pretty much just think of your cheesy sci-fi horror films and that's a theremin.Enjoy!

spariam
Impressive
Impressive

Post by spariam » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:46 am

Theremin is featured in the Beach Boys Good Vibrations...And you might check out the documentary - Theremin - An Electronic Odyssey.

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:29 pm

Thanks, Spariam. Good Vibrations, yeah that's right. Forgot about that one. That is surley the sound though.

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:44 am

Thank you, too, Theresa. I, of course, went over and listened to all of the clips which would play.