Vocal EQing

Post by ksonix » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:57 am

Hello, Does anyone have any preferred EQ settings for vocals? Kojo

gunter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Vocal EQing

Post by gunter » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:04 am

Quote:Hello, Does anyone have any preferred EQ settings for vocals? KojoHi Kojo!The key is distance, not EQ. A decent mic, a decent preamp, and a decent compressor will usually sound great direct, no EQ. Try it!A hand-stretch from the eyes distance is a good try and sounds mostly great!Good luck...GJ

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:26 am

There's no such thing as "preferred EQ settings" for anything. Unless you're modeling something like an AM radio or the curve of a particular speaker, EQ is always in context. Asking where to set the EQ for vox is a "how long is a piece of string" question.I personally have no religious objection to using EQ even with a decent mic, preamp, and compressor.

og
Impressive
Impressive

Post by og » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:42 am

Of all the things I've read about eq, the first I understood was in Recording mag's issue about lows (bass and such), and the first I really got into my head was the part about giving each voice or instrument it's own space in Guerrilla Home Recording. There's so much contadictory info out there on just how long that string is that it makes my brain hurt.

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:20 am

You know what Grandpa says: the ears come first.

og
Impressive
Impressive

Post by og » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:07 pm

Grampa said "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Oh, and "Sit up straight, boy." But I agree, what matters is how it sounds, not the settings on a board.

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:39 pm

Quote:Hello, Does anyone have any preferred EQ settings for vocals? KojoYou may be aware of this, but the Studio Buddy download on the Taxi home page offers some decent tips. It's a great starting point for gaining experience.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:36 pm

Quote:You know what Grandpa says: the ears come first.Nick is right again. You have to "Listen!"When I learned how to record vocals, I rented a U-87. One of the best mics in the world. And I didn't stop recording until I got so close to that 87 until it "shut down" because of moisture.The mic came back on after a couple of minutes, but it showed me how sensitive it was. It was a living, breathing microphone that I had to learn how to use.Treat all your mics the same way, and you'll find the magic in them!Ern

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:53 pm

It always struck me as funny to see digital mixers with EQ and compression presets. "This give bass drum big noise."There's no substitute for knowing your freqs. I recommend this: www.kiqproductions.com (Golden Ears Audio Eartraining Program) if you want to make better recordings. (Disclaimer: I have a vested interest and the author, Dave Moulton, is a friend. But I wouldn't recommend it if it weren't good.)

brandondrury

Post by brandondrury » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:48 am

Quote:Hello, Does anyone have any preferred EQ settings for vocals? Definitely!!!! My overwhelming favorite vocal EQ preset is NONE!!EQ is there if I messed up something while tracking, but that's kind of like using a band aid to fix a broken arm.