Taxi newbie with computer gear questions

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Taxi newbie with computer gear questions

Post by anne » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:17 pm

Hi - I'm setting up my computer for audio.I'm looking for any advice on computer / software items I'm missing or should expect to have to get soon? i.e. do I want to use outboard comps/ limiters or stick with the very nice software based, do I want to spend the money on mic pres or use the very nice ones built into projectmix i/o - that kind of knowledge would be wonderful if you don't mind sharing.It is so far is going to be comprised of a Mac G5 (intel dual processors) Logic Pro, ProjectMix and m-powered protools. For touchups I have the Bias products and will be getting Ozone. I have good 4" reference monitors and my 8"s are coming in a month. Of course, I have good mics and instruments and am building that collection as money allows. Your advice is very welcome to this Taxi Newbie who did live sound and some recording for years and is now diving into the digital world and mostly doing music recording for background to video projects, as well as recording the video (using the mac and final cut)THANKS IN ADVANCE!Anne

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Taxi newbie with computer gear questions

Post by nickbatzdorf » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:52 pm

This is a hard question to answer. Are there better mic preamps and compressors than the ones that come with PT plus Ozone? Sure, but that doesn't mean you can't make great recordings with what you have. You've put together a good rig.The only advice I can think of is to start recording and then see whether you have any weaknesses that need filling in.