HELP! Studio Gone Crazy!

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

HELP! Studio Gone Crazy!

Post by ernstinen » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:02 pm

My studio has been down for a week and I'm going nuts.Here's the rundown:The "brains" of my studio, an old PowerMac G3 running Performer 6.02, died. So I hooked up a PowerBook 3400 which I've used to sequence on when on vacation, and it wouldn't let me use the Performer. I called MOTU, and they sent me a 6.03 disk which I installed on the 3400. After some Free Midi downloads, I got it going, running 6 sample players through a MOTU Midi Express.All my old sequences are stored on Zip discs, and the 3400 won't recognize them (though it used to, as well as 6.02 Performer). But I figured not to worry about that at this point.So I was proud that I figured this out, even using a large monitor and turbo mouse hooked up to the 3400. Back to (almost) normal, until today.I clicked on the Performer 6.03 sequence I was working on yesterday, and got this message:"The application "Performer 6.03" could not be opened because an unexpected error occurred." AAAAARRRRGGHHH!Dead again.I really like to sequence on a Mac, like Performer and Mosaic, and don't want to learn a lot of new programs. I've spent years learning these old ones. --- So ideally I'd like to find a used G3 with a built in Zip drive that would get me by for awhile. But maybe it's time to totally rethink this whole process and get into the 21st century.I want to --- NEED to --- write music ASAP. HELP!!!!Ern

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Re: HELP! Studio Gone Crazy!

Post by nickbatzdorf » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:23 pm

Ern, there are 50 billion G3s or G4s all over town. Have you tried Recycler.com? Or Macsolutions on Wilshire in West LA?

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:37 pm

But if you do want to re-think your rig, upgrading computers to the latest DP isn't going to ruin your life or even re-think your whole process. Well, I think Mosaic is history. But still, it's not like learning a new program takes years and years. It won't take you any time to learn DP, and something like Encore takes a couple of hours to learn. Even Sibelius is supposed to be quite straightforward -although I confess to having it and not having used it (I just use the notation section in Logic for the occasional thing I need to print out).In any case, if you want to get a used G3 or G4, they're really cheap.I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but I don't think this is a problem worth going into general decline over.

zink
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zink » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:47 pm

yo ern,ebays always got a few g3s. (they got a few g5s too. You could upgrade to DP5 from performer for 295)good luckZ

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:10 pm

Whew! I got through to MOTU (thank God for redial), and they told me to reinstall the 6.03 on the laptop. It worked! Yippee! That'll get me by for awhile.As an alternative, I would've had to buy at least a G4, upgrade to DP, and buy a new Midi interface. We're talking about $1000. My wife wasn't too happy with my research. I'll cross the scoring software bridge when I come to it.Thanks for your help!Ern

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:40 pm

I guess I helped by scaring you? (If it's a software issue, reinstalling Mosaic might help too, no?)