'puter noise

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: 'puter noise

Post by nomiyah » Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:36 pm

Without room for a booth, I was going to get those Auralex type baffles to isolate the mic. Nick, you posted a link to those on another thread. Think it'll be sufficient?Nomi

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:29 pm

Auralex doesn't isolate the mic - it's just foam. What it does is remove excessive room tone. You don't want to use too much of it, or you'll remove the air from the recording. But some of it can be good if your room is bad.

jaysta

Post by jaysta » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:22 pm

Quote:What did you make it out of, Jay? Mic booth, closet - whatever you call it is a great option.Mine is basic and built on a budget. Built the frame myself, I only used thick ply wood for the walls, door roof, 6mm perspex for a window and insulated the inside with convoluted foam, only because I could not afford real acoustic foam.But must say it does quiten the recordings down alot Jay

og
Impressive
Impressive

Post by og » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:18 pm

I really don't have room for a booth. Doing vox in the bedroom really cut down the noise, but I'm not sure I like the sound. The only thing I've recorded in there is the vocals to my song "She Misses The Sea". I used an AKG large caps. mic thru an M-Audio MobilePre USB interface, recorded dry. There's some compression on the lead, which was duped 2X, with the copies delayed 6 & 10ms and panned hard left and right. If anyone would care to give a listen, I'd appreciate some feedback--my voice generally sounds 'fuller' to me.