Which Firewire Interface?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

phoenix

Which Firewire Interface?

Post by phoenix » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:24 am

Now that Andreh ha cleared up the fact that I need a Firewire Interface I thought I`d ask for some recommendations! I saw a Hercules FW 16/12 on www.thomann.de for €280! There are also ome M-Audio ons for around €450! I need at least 10 inputs but prefarably 16! My budget is around €500 max. I don`t wanna break the bank because I prob won`t use it forever!Any suggestions?

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Which Firewire Interface?

Post by andreh » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:45 pm

Quote:Now that Andreh ha cleared up the fact that I need a Firewire InterfaceTo be even more clear, a firewire interface will address your needs as you described them in a previous post, but there are other solutions out there such as cardbus-to-pci boxes and USB interfaces...and your exact "needs" can only be determined by you. Please consider my comments as suggestions, not requirements! Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

53mph
Impressive
Impressive

Post by 53mph » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:12 am

Check-out Edirol's FA-101. it's got 10 inputs, 2 with pre-amp. It's really portable, in fact I keep it in the same bag as my laptop and lug it round venues easily; it can be powered from a 6-pin firewire port...and best of all it's got zero latency.It was Edirol's first venture into the firewire market and for the budget is highly competitive.Do you need it to be protable or fixed in a studio?That will have a big influence on which unit to get.

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:23 pm

Yeah, Andreh, I`ve heard bout the other options and heard that payin the extra bit for firewire is worth it cos it`s way handier!! I need it to be able to fit a 4-pin firewire connection and I also need it to be portable but it will spend a lot of time in the studio!!I saw a Hercules Firewire 16/12 with 10 inputs and two preamps also for half the price of the Edirol! Im wonderin why it`s so cheap?

53mph
Impressive
Impressive

Post by 53mph » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:37 am

The Edirol Unit has Optical In/Out; digital synchSample Rate selection from 44.1 - 192 (Hercules goes up to 96 max)Excellent monitoring system with Headphone mix, levels, direct, mono etcZero latency is the big plus.And you're paying for the fact that it's not the size of a rack effect unit.Look beyond the number of inputs and outputs and check out the specs between the two.There's an article here comparing the two.http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb05/a ... 1612fw.htm