DAT Recorders

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

phoenix

DAT Recorders

Post by phoenix » Thu May 25, 2006 1:45 pm

Just wondering what these are used for?I record from my mixer into my laptop! If people have computers to record onto, why do they use these?

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: DAT Recorders

Post by davewalton » Thu May 25, 2006 2:43 pm

Quote:Just wondering what these are used for?I record from my mixer into my laptop! If people have computers to record onto, why do they use these?DAT's a good question... Get it??? DAT's... never mind.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Thu May 25, 2006 3:10 pm

Quote:Just wondering what these are used for?I record from my mixer into my laptop! If people have computers to record onto, why do they use these?Well, I've got LOTS of mixes onto DATs. They were the standard for awhile.Two reasons: 1. The tapes have up to 2 hours record time. For live recording, that's a plus.2. They can record at a 48k sampling rate, where CD's are still at 44.1k. That means higher resolution.But when CDs, rather, DVDs go up to higher sampling/bit rates, DATs are history. They currently sound better than CDs, IMHO! Ern

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Thu May 25, 2006 3:55 pm

On the downside:1. Despite being 48k-capable, the older convertors in most DAT machines are inferior-sounding to many modern convertors running at 44.1k.2. The unwanted artifacts created when converting a 48k DAT recording to a 44.1k CD-compatible file far outweigh any sonic benefits of recording at 48k in the first place. This is true when recording to your DAW as well.3. Many studios don't even have DAT mchines any more, so you may have to hunt around for conversion equipment if you've recorded to DAT and you want to collaborate with other artists, producers, or engineers.On the other hand, the robustness of a portable DAT machine for field recording is still often preferred over hard disk-based systems...but now there are even great sounding flash-card-based systems available. DAT is surely a dying (or dead) technology.Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Thu May 25, 2006 4:24 pm

Quote:On the other hand, the robustness of a portable DAT machine for field recording is still often preferred over hard disk-based systems...but now there are even great sounding flash-card-based systems available. DAT is surely a dying (or dead) technology.Yea, I agree that DAT technology is pretty much dead. But guess what!? My older 15 ips analog masters sound ALOT better than any DAT or CD masters I've ever made. So much for a "dead" technology!Many engineers in the digital medium still mix to 1/2" analog tape. Whether it's to get "tape compression," or that analog tape can capture frequencies WAY above what CDs can, I don't know. Bob Moog wrote a treatise on this subject, but I can't remember exactly what his scientific explanation was. R.I.P. Mr. Moog!Ern

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Thu May 25, 2006 6:09 pm

Hey, if it sounds good, it is good! I've heard that 1/2" tape can bring some nice warmth to your masters, and I don't doubt it...but that approach is probably not practical for most budgets & deadlines. Plus, digital "warmer-upper" plugins are getting more sophisticated and effective (witness the Cranesong Phoenix), though the purists among us will probably string me up for even suggesting such a thing.In any case, we should always be making the most of the tools at hand. I recently chose a female vocal take recorded with an SM57, with no pop filter!, over a similar performance through a TLM103...whatever works!Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Thu May 25, 2006 6:26 pm

Quote:xIn any case, we should always be making the most of the tools at hand. I recently chose a female vocal take recorded with an SM57, with no pop filter!, over a similar performance through a TLM103...whatever works!I'm a BIG fan of the SM57! I mixed a lot of bands at a video studio for years in an isolated control room, and every time I heard a great vocal sound, it was a 57.Speaking of current ways of doing the "old tricks," I decided to NOT buy a 1/2" mastering recorder in favor of purchasing an Empirical Labs "Fatso" as my only analog pass while mastering my digital music. It really is great (but pricey). Check it out ---Ern

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Thu May 25, 2006 6:43 pm

I have a Panasonic SV-3700 sitting in my rack. The last time I turned it on was at least eight years ago.And the difference between 44.1 and 48 is fly $#!+.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Thu May 25, 2006 6:57 pm

Quote:I have a Panasonic SV-3700 sitting in my rack. The last time I turned it on was at least eight years ago.And the difference between 44.1 and 48 is fly $#!+.Hey Nick, whazzup! You're right, it's not that much difference. I just pulled my DAT machine out of the closet and it's sitting on the floor with spider webs on it.But, as you know, I've got Dog Ears! Hope you're doing well,Ern

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Thu May 25, 2006 7:34 pm

Yes, and you too Sir.Brain twister: does the brick wall filter actually change when you change from 44.1 to 48? EQ plug-ins don't, obviously.